Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Community Content / Contribution Project > Art / Videos

Old 04-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
rockhoward

Surfacing in TF2

I've been playing around with item creation and I notice my models get a weird toon shader like effect once I place them in the game. Other people's items seem to handle shadows across them smoother. What surfacing should I be using in my 3d program or is there a way to make the shadows display less harshly across my surfaces?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
themunty

You should probably post some pictures to help demonstrate your query.

It'll most likely be either the vmt settings or the smoothing groups. From your post I guess vmt settings.
Use gcfscape to extract a .vmt file for an item similar to yours. (a gun for a gun etc) and modify it to your purposes (texture names etc).
themunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
rockhoward

Well here is a look at one of my models.

I'm using just a lambert on it with no real alterations and I have no idea who to alter surface details within source since I'm just using the itemtest. I tried downloading that program but it doesn't support .vmts and it seems when I compiled through my model it didn't output one.

The pictures

http://i.imgur.com/U9iJW.jpg

Big red arrows trying to point out where these harsh shadows are forming.

http://imgur.com/wnHJV

This is just taken in my 3d proggy to show it's not really a shinny texture like that or anything, it shouldn't be having that harsh of a shadow I feel.
rockhoward is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Community Content / Contribution Project > Art / Videos