Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Old 04-26-2012, 03:03 AM   #1
xapped

Banned
Will I get banned for this??? /////

WILL I GET BANNED FOR THIS?

The following information is correct for current games - games you actually want to play. Super old mods like Paranoia for THE FIRST HALF LIFE triggered bans, but that's irrelevant for now.

VAC does not ban for ALL game (exe, dll, inject) modifications. Only actual hacks will be banned.

If you are not using anything that gives you an advantage over others* (eg Aimbot, Wallhack, FOV console unlocker), you will not be banned, even if it modifies exe / dll - again, only ACTUAL CHEATS will get you banned.

TL;DR: Are you hacking? Stop worrying about 'will I get vac banned?', because you won't.

Sources:
Many Steam accounts, some VAC banned and some not banned , and the MW3 period where absolutely no VAC bans were handed out until VAC/IW employees actually started blacklisting mods as cheats.

Last edited by xapped: 04-26-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:29 AM   #2
DoYouCareBro

That's not completely true. You will not be banned for FOV unlocker for MW3, but its modifies game's memory (changes one offset). And I have saw the thread here, user was VAC banned in COD for injecting .dll that gives him control to his bot programm in some MMORPG. This .dll did not gives user advantages (not a aimbot, speedhack, wh, esp...), just gives you bot control in-game. But user was still banned. ;-) So it's better to inject nothing into VAC-secured games.

Last edited by DoYouCareBro: 04-26-2012 at 03:31 AM.
DoYouCareBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:44 AM   #3
Kidofthecentury

I also believe that there's a manual review -maybe in some statitically significant cases, hardly all of them- of what might be considered a cheat, but this is a mere assumpion from my part.

Additionally, the great MW2 incident in July 2012 (IIRC) says otherwise, unless it's perfectly fine to see 12,000 people cheating with the same hack in that short time span.

Unless you've 100% solid proof on how VAC determines what's a cheat and what not, you shouldn't spread misinformation.

Besides, the official support says:
Quote:
The VAC system reliably detects cheats using their cheat signatures. Any third-party modification to a game designed to give one player an advantage over another is classified as a cheat or hack and will trigger a VAC ban. This includes modifications to a game's core executable files and dynamic link libraries.
Note the underlined part: as I read it, it says that any "innocent" mod may cause a VAC ban if that introduces new unknown DLLs libraries, regardless if they were designed to get an in-game advantage or not.
Kidofthecentury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:47 AM   #4
GDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidofthecentury View Post
Additionally, the great MW2 incident in July 2012 (IIRC) says otherwise, unless it's perfectly fine to see 12,000 people cheating with the same hack in that short time span.
No hack was used by anyone for that incident, Valve messed up.
GDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
Kidofthecentury

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDL View Post
No hack was used by anyone for that incident, Valve messed up.
I know.
I was pointing that in that episode VAC acted automatically, contrary to what I assumed in my previous sentence, by banning the "offending" users - actually completely innocent.
If VAC was supervisioned by operators, that ban wave likely wouldn't have occurred in the first place.

I was just stressing out how we don't know how VAC is run.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
zonkz

Quote:
Additionally, the great MW2 incident in July 2012 ....... 12,000 people....
Is it you, Marty McFly? And are you here to warn them?
zonkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
Oni_Shinobi

Quote:
Note the underlined part: as I read it, it says that any "innocent" mod may cause a VAC ban if that introduces new unknown DLLs libraries, regardless if they were designed to get an in-game advantage or not.
Apparently, you haven't learned to read very well ffs.

"Any third-party modification to a game designed to give one player an advantage over another is classified as a cheat or hack and will trigger a VAC ban. This includes modifications to a game's core executable files and dynamic link libraries."

Let me help you read this. It says: Any modification not from the game dev. themselves and that gives you an advantage over other players will get you banned. This possible list of modifications that give you an advantage over others includes exe file modifications and DLL injections.

As in, exe edits and DLL injects. that give you an advantage over others are ALSO counted as bannable offenses. That is ALL that is said there. When they say "this includes", think of what "this" is referring to. They're only more specifically defining what kind of mods that give an advantage are counted as bannable offenses.

I love people's lack of language skills causing confusion.
Oni_Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #8
Kidofthecentury

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonkz View Post
Is it you, Marty McFly? And are you here to warn them?
Ahahah, nice catch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni_Shinobi View Post
Apparently, you haven't learned to read very well ffs.

"Any third-party modification to a game designed to give one player an advantage over another is classified as a cheat or hack and will trigger a VAC ban. This includes modifications to a game's core executable files and dynamic link libraries."

Let me help you read this. It says: Any modification not from the game dev. themselves and that gives you an advantage over other players will get you banned. This possible list of modifications that give you an advantage over others includes exe file modifications and DLL injections.

As in, exe edits and DLL injects. that give you an advantage over others are ALSO counted as bannable offenses. That is ALL that is said there. When they say "this includes", think of what "this" is referring to. They're only more specifically defining what kind of mods that give an advantage are counted as bannable offenses.

I love people's lack of language skills causing confusion.
Eh, English is not my first language, sadly.

Now, I'm not familiar with those mods and what they actually do, but as Wikipedia says

Quote:
The single-player Half-Life modifications Paranoia and Half-Life FX, which made changes to the engine's renderer that propagated to multiplayer games. This still triggers a ban and no bans caused by it have been reversed.
kind of prove what I was trying to say: they are not concerned on what a mod actually do, if it modifies any core file you're VAC bannable. Period.

I'm not really fond on how OP dismiss those as "irrelevant". Now, knowing exactly what those mod did to the render engine to be caught as cheats would be an interesting piece of information.

However I give you this may have been changed since other more recent mods such as Cry of Fear, apparently do modify core files but not have triggered VAC bans yet.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:23 AM   #9
Nekomancer

Those mods replace the OpenGL.dll file the game comes with to make the new effects possible. But that could also be used to use cheats, which has been done in the past. That's why this file is marked as essential in VAC.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #10
Light1997

mods are risky. if you have lots of money spent on it like me then best not take that risk
Light1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion