Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2: Episode Two

Old 05-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
sentinel21

Post-Launch Review: HL2 Episode Two

Half-Life 2: Episode Two is this week's Post-Launch Review.
http://postlaunch.blogspot.ca/2012/0...isode-two.html
Old 05-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
scojer 2.0

ZOMG! HL3 IS COMING SOON!
scojer 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Bioluminescent

What's with the Magnusson hatred? I'm befuddled by this.
Bioluminescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
slipperywhenwet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bioluminescent View Post
The review had a good reasoning behind it. He seemed TOO full of himself, to an unbelievable degree at times.

I liked him overall, but it's a fairly valid complaint, and even the review said, it's a very minor complaint, barely one at all.
slipperywhenwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Zekiran

He is played as quite the character, though honestly I know people just like him, so I found him both believable and a good addition to the cast.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
alehm

Magnusson is a believable character. Ambitious, unfair, and unconcerned about anything outside of his own cares, which happens to be his work. Which makes me dislike him... but that is a compliment to his character.

Has a healthy streak of narcissism too. Despite everything that happened at Black Mesa that day he calls you out on what you did to his lunch. lol
alehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
scojer 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehm View Post
Magnusson is a believable character. Ambitious, unfair, and unconcerned about anything outside of his own cares, which happens to be his work. Which makes me dislike him... but that is a compliment to his character.

Has a healthy streak of narcissism too. Despite everything that happened at Black Mesa that day he calls you out on what you did to his lunch. lol
It didn't even look that good too! If I remember right, it originally gibbed, and one of the gibs was a Xen-spine!
scojer 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Zekiran

Well, we don't know that he didn't already have access to exotic meats from Xen! I mean, maybe he was going to open a Headcrab-centric restaurant, breeding them for taste and docility!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
RezCascade

Quote:
Magnusson ruined their casserole.

I don't know why an unrealistic character would be considered remotely out of place in these games.

Kleiner is practically a cartoon character. The writing and characters in the HL games are very comic-booky.
RezCascade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
Zekiran

You haven't worked or lived with scientists, have you.

The only thing cartoony about Kleiner is his voice, and even then I've known people like him too.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
RezCascade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekiran View Post
You haven't worked or lived with scientists, have you.
My uncle is a Harvard scientist.

And actually, one of my best friends is now officially a published scientist as well.

I wasn't arguing that odd ducks don't exist.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
trenmost

i found magnusson a bit awkward too...we are getting in our face his wierd personality since minute one we see him, he is really one sided, and simple.

but it wasnt that great deal
trenmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
sentinel21

Quote:
It's because he's actually well-written for his character archetype. I dislike Magnusson because he does a great job of being a pompous self-absorbed .

Also, I know that there were a lot of people at Black Mesa and we hardly met any of them in the original Half-Life, but they just keep coming out of the woodwork. It seems odd that so many high-ranking scientists from Black Mesa survived and gathered around City 17 when we never meet any bigwigs from anywhere else, let alone the part of the world where the game is actually set (seems to be eastern Europe due to the architecture and some of the surviving lettering around the city).
sentinel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
Lilgreenman

In the way of Magnusson, I think "the man we love to hate" would apply here.

As for the realism of Kleiner, I think Valve did a great job turning essentially a stick figure in coke-bottle glasses into a believable, sympathetic character.
Lilgreenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #15
RezCascade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel21 View Post
It's because he's actually well-written for his character archetype. I dislike Magnusson because he does a great job of being a pompous self-absorbed .

Also, I know that there were a lot of people at Black Mesa and we hardly met any of them in the original Half-Life, but they just keep coming out of the woodwork. It seems odd that so many high-ranking scientists from Black Mesa survived and gathered around City 17 when we never meet any bigwigs from anywhere else, let alone the part of the world where the game is actually set (seems to be eastern Europe due to the architecture and some of the surviving lettering around the city).
Makes sense to me. Breen was the combine negotiator, so I always just figured that the combine had a keen interest in the survivors of the Xen experiment.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2: Episode Two