Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 05-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
Saxtonheil

Exclamation Please, please, please can you change it so I don't have to enter my date of birth...

when I'm in the store. Once I log in Steam has all that info... right!?

Or at least make it that if you own an M rated game (or PEGI 16 game) you can bypass permission to enter a spesific game page. It's even worse when I have to enter it for a game I own...

Last edited by Saxtonheil: 05-01-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
notdeadyet01

Its there because it is required by law.

Does the 2 second it takes you to put a random year really bother you that much?
notdeadyet01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #3
ChrisW

The day they get rid of this check is the day someone sues Valve for millions of dollars because their child saw something they should not have seen and is permanently traumatized.
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:10 AM   #4
Kidofthecentury

Besides, if you've cookies enabled, web browsers/clients do remember your birthdate so you shouldn't have to enter anything. Just press "Enter" button.
Kidofthecentury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Saxtonheil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
The day they get rid of this check is the day someone sues Valve for millions of dollars because their child saw something they should not have seen and is permanently traumatized.
But I'm in my account. I sign in and have all my info ready to go... It's just kinda annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdeadyet01 View Post
Its there because it is required by law.

Does the 2 second it takes you to put a random year really bother you that much?
Ah, so that's the reason. Those wacky laws. Well... It's been years since I created my account but doesn't it have an agreement thing that asks you years or older?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidofthecentury View Post
Besides, if you've cookies enabled, web browsers/clients do remember your birthdate so you shouldn't have to enter anything. Just press "Enter" button.
I still shouldn't (or anyone else) have to click anything once I log in.

I'll deal with it. Just a little suggestion.
Saxtonheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
PirateGuy

Thumbs down

Sure, it's annoying, but is it really worth Valve's time to mess with it? Especially when Valve already added:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidofthecentury View Post
PirateGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
Jiktori

You may feel like you have to be honest and enter the exact day/month/year you were born each time, buuuut you really don't, just click the year tab, scroll until you're out of the 2000s then click any year before 95 or so.

I'm aware most will know this, I'm saying it in case some do not.

If they're legally not allowed to remove the page under any circumstance, what they could do is make the year selection start at 1900 rather than 2012 to save some scrolling, cus hell yes I'm 112!
Jiktori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
notdeadyet01

its annoying to me too. hell most of my games are rated m. but hey its required.
notdeadyet01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
zodaex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiktori View Post
You may feel like you have to be honest and enter the exact day/month/year you were born each time, buuuut you really don't, just click the year tab, scroll until you're out of the 2000s then click any year before 95 or so.

I'm aware most will know this, I'm saying it in case some do not.

If they're legally not allowed to remove the page under any circumstance, what they could do is make the year selection start at 1900 rather than 2012 to save some scrolling, cus hell yes I'm 112!
I was VAC banned for lying about my age in Steam
zodaex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
stevethepocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodaex View Post
I was VAC banned for lying about my age in Steam
Cool story bro.
stevethepocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
zodaex

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethepocket View Post
Cool story bro.
How do I get unbanned?
zodaex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
stevethepocket

Oh, sorry I wasn't clear enough. "Cool story bro" is Internet speak for "I find that about as believable as a bigfoot sighting." Seriously, I don't think it's even possible to VAC ban someone for entering the wrong date on those things because they're not legally allowed to store that data anywhere other than a session cookie.
stevethepocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
Montyleeny15

What the OP means is that Steam could have a recorded data of our age which we sign up with, and using appropriate protocol, under-aged users won't be able to access games inappropriate for them. However, in doing this, there must also be changes in the way people register on steam, and the changes will also have to affect millions and millions of users across the globe who are having to reaffirm their age and for the under-aged users, they have to confirm their age as well, which could revoke access to certain games. (I'm aware many under-aged individuals play over-aged games, so... it could be bad for Steam to ban those players because it'll mean less revenue) Thus, it'll be a hell lot of work!
Montyleeny15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas