Old 05-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Hedy Lamarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthPsymon View Post
What would be the incentive for valve?
Nothing.
Quote:
How would you benefit from it?
You'd be able to buy a game once and have unlimited copies to play on muliple PCs at the same time, I guess. In otherwords, scam Valve.
Hedy Lamarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
zodaex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthPsymon View Post
What would be the incentive for valve?
How would you benefit from it?
Question 1 to make their customers happy
Question 2 we wouldn't have to log in as frequently and we could play a game on out desktop while its being installed on our laptop.
zodaex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Jmcmatrixs

Good suggestion, however I doubt it will happen
Jmcmatrixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
SlurredStaccato

Banned
I want it to happen because I want to do some troubleshooting on a game I have, as well as install one thing on one laptop while the other does something else.
SlurredStaccato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
slovenian89

This goes against the purpose of DRM...
slovenian89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
Iconoclast XVII

That way all 4 million+ of us can just go in on it, share an account, and then we could all share every game there is! But really, if you want to install something, just do it turning the day (when at work/school), or if you sit home all day playing video games, install it over night.
Iconoclast XVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
iZone117

Yup! I agree.. I'm sitting on my desktop now talking to a friend, i'd like to be able to continue my download and go downstairs with my laptop
iZone117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
KnownUnknown

Banned
Most of you aren't making any sense. Steam (through DRM schemes put in place by the publishers) already limits the number of times most games can be installed; the OP is imply requesting a way to log into more than one computer at a time. I'm not sure how that would equate to scamming Valve.

I'd like it simply for the fact that I would be able to trade weapons between my various Borderlands characters. As it is now, I can't do that because Steam isn't able to run on two computers at once without giving me grief.
KnownUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
slovenian89

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Most of you aren't making any sense. Steam (through DRM schemes put in place by the publishers) already limits the number of times most games can be installed; the OP is imply requesting a way to log into more than one computer at a time. I'm not sure how that would equate to scamming Valve.

I'd like it simply for the fact that I would be able to trade weapons between my various Borderlands characters. As it is now, I can't do that because Steam isn't able to run on two computers at once without giving me grief.
So you want to use a single purchase of a game to run multiple copies at once? That is the whole reason why you can only run Steam account on 1 computer simultaneously. They want you to have 2 separate accounts each with a copy of the game, more money for both Steam and the makers of the game.

There is no reason for them to allow this because how would it stop from friends, families, etc. from sharing accounts?
slovenian89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #12
KnownUnknown

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovenian89 View Post
So you want to use a single purchase of a game to run multiple copies at once? That is the whole reason why you can only run Steam account on 1 computer simultaneously. They want you to have 2 separate accounts each with a copy of the game, more money for both Steam and the makers of the game.

There is no reason for them to allow this because how would it stop from friends, families, etc. from sharing accounts?
As long as I've got the rights to multiple installs of a video game per the publisher's DRM rules, I should be able to use that video game as I see fit. That includes running it on multiple computers at the same time. If companies are concerned about that type of usage, they need to modify their DRM schemes and EULAs accordingly.

While we're on the subject, it was actually possible at one time to be running Borderlands on two computers using the same account. Someone at 2K or Steam eventually got wind of this and changed things accordingly -- I don't know whether they modified the EULA terms to reflect this or not.
KnownUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #13
CTRL ALT DEL !

Would be fine to allow multiple logins for download only and 1 active to play.
CTRL ALT DEL ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
Jezz1226

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
If companies are concerned about that type of usage, they need to modify their DRM schemes and EULAs accordingly.
They have, eula's include language about how it is a personal license, etc etc and Steam is their DRM solution.
Jezz1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
NCPereira

A Steam account can only be used by a single person. How are you supposed to use it, yourself, on two computers at the same time?
NCPereira is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas