Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Microsoft Flight

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #76
ScruffyDuck
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 4
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagelber View Post
Hi All, MS,

could you please enlighten us about the reason behind this tsunami of planes without a cockpit ?

Thanks in advance

Best Regards
I think a tsunami is something a bit bigger than three aircraft. However it is pretty well reported that there is a theme of war birds over Hawaii. This is something that was decided before the release of Flight. I won't speculate why they are cockpit free and that has been discussed more times than I can count. We can expect one more war plane. I assume without a cockpit but I do not know.

The real issue is where Flight goes from here. From this point we can hope that the pre-release schedule is more or less played out (other than Alaska) and future offerings will be more reflective of actual feedback from the community

Jon
ScruffyDuck Software
Microsoft MVP
ScruffyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #77
RoboRay
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 26
Posts: 868
I think two or three new cockpit-equipped bush planes and/or light twins to operate over the vast expanse of Alaska will keep me occupied and happy for some time to come.

Please deliver, MS.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #78
ScruffyDuck
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 4
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
I think two or three new cockpit-equipped bush planes and/or light twins to operate over the vast expanse of Alaska will keep me occupied and happy for some time to come.

Please deliver, MS.
me too!!!

Jon
ScruffyDuck Software
Microsoft MVP
ScruffyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #79
EastCoastGuy
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 10
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
I think two or three new cockpit-equipped bush planes and/or light twins to operate over the vast expanse of Alaska will keep me occupied and happy for some time to come.

Please deliver, MS.
The Maule is a pretty good bush plane already, but -- the real-world Maule also has floatplane, skiplane and tundra versions. If they added those I would jump for joy. And definitely yes on a light twin (or a DC-3).
EastCoastGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #80
lgrochal
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 11
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
I think two or three new cockpit-equipped bush planes and/or light twins to operate over the vast expanse of Alaska will keep me occupied and happy for some time to come.
A light twin bush plane? That would be a Twin Otter, wouldn't it? All three of them - one on wheels, one with skis and one on floats. And yes - that would be a joy
lgrochal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:21 AM   #81
Sagelber
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruffyDuck View Post
I think a tsunami is something a bit bigger than three aircraft. However it is pretty well reported that there is a theme of war birds over Hawaii. This is something that was decided before the release of Flight. I won't speculate why they are cockpit free and that has been discussed more times than I can count. We can expect one more war plane. I assume without a cockpit but I do not know.

The real issue is where Flight goes from here. From this point we can hope that the pre-release schedule is more or less played out (other than Alaska) and future offerings will be more reflective of actual feedback from the community

Jon
ScruffyDuck Software
Microsoft MVP
While I share the second part of your post I really didn't understand the first one and neither, my fault, have read the tons of posts speaking about the lack of cockpit. I can understand the relase of several war planes but the marketing reason behind the lack of cockpit is still not clear to me.

I would appreciate an answer from MS or even a specific reason from you posters.

Thanks in advance
Sagelber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #82
Sagelber
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader58 View Post
One Sided DLC

Personally I think that MS should have alternated the DLC with cockpitless and cockpit planes, (if they wish to cater to the full market potential) that would have given us ALL what we want...but NO, they just cater to the console boys hoping to generate cash with as little outlay as possible.
One can only hope that Alaska brings with it a series of DLC that caters to us cockpit flyers.

And on this subject I shall say no more (as it's growing old)
I do not think that this matter is getting old because the next DLC will be again a war plane without cockpit ( P40 is the penulatimate by MS official statement ). I think therefore it is definitely appropriate to discuss the matter, sorry to say.

I see your point of view and I somehow agree but still I can't grab the concept behind the decision to flood the market with planes without cockpit without pairing them with a Deluxe counterpart.

Judging this scenario World of Warplanes has more appeal because you can also shoot over there.

My 2 cents
Sagelber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #83
n4gix
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 44
It's not all that terribly complicated. Joshua Howard explained in a published interview some few months ago that their marketing research determined that there is a huge market for simple exterior model only aircraft for those gamers who only fly from "chase view..."

While he did not cite any specific numbers, from what he wrote he's likely expecting ratios on the order of 10,000:1 "LITE" versus "DELUXE" sales.

Of course, since MS will never release any sales numbers, whether this proves to be the actual case will remain an unknown. Given that the only true scientific test of this marketing hypothesis would be to make both the "LITE" and "DELUXE" version of any given aircraft available at the same time, any such numbers would be meaningless in any event...

To be perfectly honest, I personally think that this is nothing less than a not-so-veiled insult to the customer's intelligence...
n4gix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #84
RoboRay
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 26
Posts: 868
Hanging from the tail by a rope is how real pilots fly.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #85
BASys_ODG
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 37
Hi Folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
Hanging from the tail by a rope
is how real pilots fly.
RoboRay -
Don't know if your comment was tongue-in-cheek.

Surprisingly, at least it was to me,
from their YouTubes,
rather than solely from within the VC,
there's several ex military and/or commercial pilots out there,
who obviously do enjoy flying from external views.

Personally,
dependant on circumstances,
I also enjoy flying from both.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Last edited by BASys_ODG: 05-04-2012 at 03:30 PM.
BASys_ODG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #86
RoboRay
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 26
Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASys_ODG View Post
Hi Folks
there's several ex military and/or commercial pilots out there,
who obviouly do enjoy flying from external views
rather than solely from within the VC.

Personally,
depending on circumstances,
I also enjoy flying from both.
Sure! I'm among them.

However, will you not agree that there's a rather substantial difference between enjoying "flying from external views rather than solely from within the VC" and "flying solely from external views with no option of flying from a cockpit." No?

Everyone can enjoy a plane that has a cockpit, flying it any way they choose.

It just sure would be nice if all planes offered enjoyment to everyone, the way VC-equiped planes do.

If you don't like cockpits, every single plane is still available to you.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #87
BASys_ODG
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 37
Hi Folks

RoboRay -
I think our posts/edits crossed.

I've no problem with either.

VC DLC are explicitly identified as DELUXE.
Non-VC DLC are explicitly identified as BASIC.

You make your choice, & pay your money.

ATB
Paul
BASys_ODG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #88
RoboRay
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 26
Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASys_ODG View Post
Hi Folks

RoboRay -
I think our posts/edits crossed.

I've no problem with either.

VC DLC are explicitly identified as DELUXE.
Non-VC DLC are explicitly identified as BASIC.

You make your choice, & pay your money.

ATB
Paul
Yes, but that's completely missing the point I'm trying to make...

Deluxe planes are something everyone can choose, as they can be flown either way.

Basic planes are exclusively for those who choose to fly only externally.

Some people are being offered more choices than others.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:11 AM   #89
Sagelber
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 126
Now the picture is sharper.

I also think that the external view forces the user to observe the fields below the plane while a cockpit tend to focus the pilot attention on the instruments instead.

I consider it a forcing to oblige the user to do something in a non conventional way. It is like digging a deep hole in a front of a pharmacy to force the people to buy that pharmacy band aids once you hit the ground after falling badly into that hole.
Sagelber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:08 AM   #90
Kraut
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 38
Check out the new DCS, they did the P51 properly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kz9lKNLX0Q
Kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Microsoft Flight


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.