Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > DiRT series

Old 05-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Powerbacon

Unhappy I got a strange problem with DiRT Showdown Demo...

Hi!

I don't know if you guys had the same problem as me, but i can't play this game...
It loads ok, but when on menu, things get strange.. i dont get a smooth menu, its really slow! When i start the race, it gets worse! Simply its impossible to play the game, its frame by frame!

I tried on 800x600 on everything on low, changed sound drivers and running on windowed mode i got the same problem...

I can play DiRT 3 on maximum settings in 1080p...

Ironically, i have an AMD computer! lol! Its really capable.. FX4100 + Radeon HD 5770 with catalyst drivers 12.4 + 8gb ram + Windows 7 Ultimate fully updated...

If somebody knows something, just tell me!

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
cristianesza

I noticed it is very CPU dependant, I have an i5 and it keeps the CPU on max usage all the time and it actually bottlenecks the GPU (the GPU should be the one at 100% usage to yield 60fps).

I would say wait for a patch.
cristianesza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Powerbacon

but its really strange, if i change graphics to max with 4xMSAA in 1080p, is the same "slowniness" that i got with 800x600 on low settings...
The most bizarre is: i can play dirt3 without glitches... L.A. noire full in 1080p too, a lot of games...
yeah, i think i must wait... still, maybe i find somebody with the same problem as myself!!!

thanks for your contribution, cristianesza!
Powerbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
cristianesza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbacon View Post
but its really strange, if i change graphics to max with 4xMSAA in 1080p, is the same "slowniness" that i got with 800x600 on low settings...
Precisely, as I said this is not a graphics issue, it is the game hogging your CPU, and it bottlenecks the rest of the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbacon View Post
The most bizarre is: i can play dirt3 without glitches... L.A. noire full in 1080p too, a lot of games...
yeah, i think i must wait... still, maybe i find somebody with the same problem as myself!!!
I have somewhat the same problem, the game is not a "slideshow" but it runs at 20fps, I too can run dirt3 at 60fps, it is clearly an optimization problem.
cristianesza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
minotaurtoo

I have the exact same problem.
My hardware is
AMD 8150Fx
16Gb Corsair 1600mhz ram
2TB Seagate Barracuda storage drive
OCZ vertex 3 120Gb boot drive
Radeon 6850HD Graphic card

So like you there is no way I should be having these problems...but my wifes pc...with a phenom 2.3 ghz quad core plays fine... so its a very strange problem indeed
minotaurtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Powerbacon

Guys, i sent an email for technical support... i really want this game! let's see what they say!!!

cheers!
Powerbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #7
KazzyMac

I can run the game on the 'default' settings (the ones it determined to be best for my system) at 50-60fps ... everything tends to be on high, a few things on medium. If I change some things to high/ultra that are not already on those settings (for example shadows or crowd) then the game starts to lag like crazy..

I just thought it was my old graphics card (an overclocked GTX275) just being outdated despite the demo running in DX10. Maybe there's more to it than I thought since Nail'd runs in DX10 as well and that runs at 60fps on full settings. (granted it's an older game but still)

The settings my computer defaults to don't really look any better than the xbox version of this game, really... but still, I wonder if for me it is a CPU bottlenecking issue or just outdated hardware;

AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition (overclocked to 2.8Ghz ... sue me)
2x2GB DDR2 Kingston (overclocked to 833Mhz)
250GB SATA (don't know manufacturer)
Gigabyte nVidia GTX275 Super OC Edition (1792MB GDDR3 - just assume it runs at the same speed as a standard GTX285)
Gigabyte M750SLI-DS4 gaming motherboard

Laugh at me for my three-year-old hardware. I'm surprised it still works considering the beating it's been given.

I have a feeling the CPU bottlenecking may be due to your processors having hyperthreading/more than 4 cores? I heard that the hyperthreading in core i5/i7/etc's caused mayhem in dirt3 because the game couldn't figure out the number of logical/physical cores. Might be the same issue. My CPU's a bogstandard old quad-core and I didn't notice any real lag on the default settings the game set me, only when I set some options higher than the 'recommended' settings.

Might be worthless but feedback is always useful in helping other guys work out their problems. :]
KazzyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
minotaurtoo

I think its the FX chip thing...my wife can play just fine on her old phenom 9650 which can't even drive a radeon 6850 card past 70% usage.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Agret

Second poster has an i5 though...
Agret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
banzaigtv

Demo runs perfectly fine for me. I get 60 fps with no stuttering or lag on medium video settings, 4x MSAA, 1920x1080 full screen, and vsync enabled. Game runs at about 25 fps on ultra settings, but it is certainly not a slideshow. Perhaps this game demands at least six cores or eight threads?

My PC specs are
i7 950 @ 3.2 GHz
12 GB DDR3 (paging file size set to 18 GB)
Radeon HD 6770 1 GB DirectX 11.0
Windows 7 64-bit SP1

Last edited by banzaigtv: 05-13-2012 at 09:15 AM.
banzaigtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:11 AM   #11
minotaurtoo

@ banzaigtv: I have an 8 core cpu....still slideshow.

Anyone try the full version yet to see if it is fixed? I am hesitant to buy the game before knowing.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
soma1509

Having the same problem here, though I think the FX-series CPU's aren't the ones to blame.

AMD 965 X4 CPU at 4.0GHz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX board
16GB DDR3 RAM
2 GTX460's in SLI

I even tried tweaking the SLI profile using NVIDIA Inspector to make it mimic DiRT 3's SLI Profile to see if that was the problem, but no go. Though I must mention that with each DiRT release, my framerates have been steeply decreasing.

On DiRT 2, I could pull off 75-80 FPS on the benchmark run.
On DiRT 3, I could pull off 50-55 FPS on the benchmark run.
Now on DiRT Showdown, I can barely pull off 40 FPS!

All of this is tested on the full games, at max settings, 1440x900 resolution with 8xMSAA Antialiasing and 16x Anisotropic filtering.

Guess I'll pray for a patch.
soma1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
minotaurtoo

tried the full version...same crap... works fine on my wife's pc with the same video card as mine (radeon 6850HD) but hers has a much slower cpu, an old 2.3ghz quad core phenom as opposed to my 8 core 8150FX running at 4.6ghz on my last try for better fps...no good..same crap...what gives?

going to install it on my sons pc and try it on his..he has a AMD 3870K APU ...wonder how it will react to the 6550HD integrated into the cpu chip lol works well with dirt 3, but then so does mine...who knows...I sent an email to codemasters...probably won't get a responce till 2032 though, but if I do I will post any relevant information that might help here.

edit: tried it on my sons and it worked perfectly!...still gotta wonder why it won't work on mine

Last edited by minotaurtoo: 05-26-2012 at 08:32 AM. Reason: add info
Old 05-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
minotaurtoo

getting responses from codemasters..here is one that might help some:

Thank you for submitting your recent request to Codemasters Customer Services concerning Dirt Showdown.

Do you have hardware anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering turned on?

To check these settings go to Control Panel - Display - Settings - Advanced, then click on your graphics card tab. The anti-aliasing settings will appear here (under Performance / Quality settings or similar).

We recommend that you either set these to off or to "application controlled" / "application preference"

This didn't help me in the least as my system was already setup that way. I think its a bit funny really... the one pc in my house that actually exceeds the recommended requirements and has the Bulldozer cpu they recommend is the only one in my house having trouble.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
minotaurtoo

ok this is getting old now, I even did a fresh install of windows with all new drivers and such...guess what ...same problem... all codemasters has been telling me so far is "update this" "reinstall that" you know all the basic "duh" stuff so I started fooling around in the xml files to no avail so I though...hmm lets start all over from the beginning...shinny new install and only dirt showdown installed......same crap exact same crap...not one bit of improvement...ok codemasters its up to you now.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > DiRT series