Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Microsoft Flight > Gameplay Discussion

Old 04-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
aceofspades55

Weather Effects List

Here is a list of our weather options with wind,rain and cloud data, arranged in order of difficulty based on wind speed and if a tie then lowest cloud base. You can use this for crosswind practice or whatever just thought it might be useful.
All cloud levels are given as the base only(lowest edge) and are described using my own inaccurate method of description.
Scattered refers to any weather with less than 50 percent cloud coverage, very scattered even more so. Clouds can be puffballs to thunderheads.
Overcast has 3 grades, partly is 50-75 percent cloud cover, mostly is 75-99 percent cover and Complete should be obvious.

Wind speeds are given at sea level. Most weather systems but not all will have increasing wind speeds per altitude gain so if the listed wind speed is 14 kts then you may or may not have wind speeds in excess of 20 kts higher than sea level.

CLEAR SKIES
Zero Clouds , zero wind
Notes: I groan whenever I join a MP game and the host has this on.

FAIR WEATHER
Very Scattered clouds at 5,000 Winds at 3kts
Notes: Common hosters at least run with this on.

DENSE FOG
Fog at zero to 2,500 Clear above Winds at 6kts
Notes: Beware landings and take-offs in the fog zone, use ILS if you got it or fly airports above the zone.

ISOLATED T-STORMS
Scattered at 5,000 w/storm cells 6,000-7,500 Winds at 10kts
Notes: Fun system for MP since the winds are not too bad for beginners while still "feeling alive" for those with more xp. Turbulance and higher winds near the storm sells, some of which dont really look all that threatening so beware,which brings us to...

LOW AND THREATENING
Mostly Overcast at 9,000 Winds at 14kts
Notes: Although one of the better looking systems its funny they named this as they did, because this weather system is neither low nor threatening. Still great to fly in.

STORMY WEATHER
Rain, Complete Overcast at 9,000 Winds at 14kts
Notes: The other nice looking system, the fog looks more like a rain mist since it doesnt seem to have a "layer" and does not ever impede visibility.

SQUALLS
Partly Overcast 7,000-9,000 Winds at 16 kts
Notes: I just avoid this, its horrible, rain everwhere and too much blue sky which makes for too many moments were you are peering thru your windshield looking for the cloud thats dumping buckets on you only to see blue sky. Just avoid.

INCLEMENT WEATHER
Mostly Overcast at 7,750 w/rain mix Winds at 16kts
Notes:Nothing to say good nor ill. Other than the rain comes and goes and it has much more cloud cover so use this instead of squalls for 16kt wind.

AMOUNG THE GIANTS
Scattered Clouds down to 3,000 some higher Winds at 19kts
Notes: Decent system to fly in, kind of like Isolated T-storms except better clouds and higher winds. Watch out for gusts and turbulence near those storm cells.

STORM CELLS
Scattered at 8,000 Winds at 29kts
Notes:The winds increase at altitude on this one so be ready to get blown all over the place. The name and description on this one is misleading as well, probably should have been named "Incoming Front or Low". No real cloud cover so the high winds would be from a low/high transition rather than a storm line.

Please forgive my personal remarks in the notes on a few of them but sadly much of the systems we are given suffer from what I like to call "The Granny Comforter Effect" or GCE (hehe). Basically the sky looks like the roof to the fort you built as a child in your room using a comforter sewn by granny for a ceiling. You know.......the one with little puffy clouds sewn in a grid pattern. But hopefully we will see some meteorology magic in the future and a at least a few of these sytems improved. Until then hope this is useful to someone somewhere.

**NEW ADDED WEATHER**

Heavy Weather
Complete overcast starting 6-8,000 feet. Mix rain and fog. Winds at 5kts
Notes: Good looking weather system, I would rank it right up there with inclement weather. Definately added to favorite weather list.

Mixed Weather
Varied clouds. Possible rain,fog. Winds at ???kts(as hi as 68kts reported on this thread)
Notes: A system with possibilities but sadly way too many odd moments like rain with blue sky ect. Ranks right up there with squalls. It is reported that you will find huge variables with this weather from one locale to the next.

**It should be noted that I did not spend as much time with these two added weather systems as I did with the others, so my comment is first impression only. So it is possible especially with the "mixed weather" system that due to random factors , my comment may or may not be justified.

Last edited by aceofspades55: 06-21-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
AlleyRat

Nice summary of the available weather systems. I wish they were listed like this within the game, too. Thanks!
AlleyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
delafina

Microsoft Game Studios
Nice! I've added this to the list of resources in our Welcome post. :-)
delafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
aceofspades55

Quote:
Originally Posted by delafina View Post
Nice! I've added this to the list of resources in our Welcome post. :-)
Thanks
aceofspades55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
wlayton27

I've been using this post frequently to try to maintain believable weather for my job flights. Basic notes I have so far (probably need a bit of updating as I spend more time using different weather systems):

1) Fair weather: Bright sunny day ... beautiful sunrise ... optimal for clandestine cargo night jobs.

2) Dense fog: Outstanding soup for IMC approaches ... not recommended for aircraft other than the Maule and RV-6. Wind's rather pleasant. Best at night to see the runway lights and VASI/PAPI lights for late visual approach. Must have a flight plan organized with fill frequencies for nav instruments.

3) Isolated thunderstorms: best partial cloudy weather to fly in.

4) Low and threatening: fairly high winds for difficult crosswind landings. Avoid passenger jobs with this weather, as they will likely not be pleased no matter how well you can fly and land. HUD is recommended because there is currently no ATIS weather update to tune in on for wind direction and speed.

5) Stormy weather: See Low and threatening above.

6) Inclement weather: for the hardcore pilot ... don't fly the Icon or Stearman in this weather unless you just like to hover around. Best to keep a low altitude on jobs to stay out of the more severe wind gusts.

Those are the big 6 weather options. I use both clear skies and among the giants sparingly if at all ... and I avoid doing any jobs with "among the giants," and "storm cells" selected. "Squalls" is a fairly fun high-wind partial cloudy setup, but otherwise pretty redundant.
wlayton27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
J van E

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlayton27 View Post
4) Low and threatening: fairly high winds for difficult crosswind landings. Avoid passenger jobs with this weather, as they will likely not be pleased no matter how well you can fly and land. HUD is recommended because there is currently no ATIS weather update to tune in on for wind direction and speed.

5) Stormy weather: See Low and threatening above.
Interesting topic! But it's odd: I almost always fly with low and threatening and find it a rather 'easy theme'...!? I do all my jobs with it. Stormy weather is a lot harder, it seems to me. I just did a flight with dogs and had no problems at all.
J van E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
wlayton27

Quote:
Originally Posted by J van E View Post
Interesting topic! But it's odd: I almost always fly with low and threatening and find it a rather 'easy theme'...!? I do all my jobs with it. Stormy weather is a lot harder, it seems to me. I just did a flight with dogs and had no problems at all.
I'm still getting my weather setups mixed up ... since I'm not using the HUD, it's difficult to tell how rough the winds are; I could have sworn I pulled off a hover in some Stormy Weather this morning, and my pacs didn't like my landings no matter how hard I tried to fine tune the side slip. I'm always after perfect landings, and I don't think I can pull them off in those conditions. I'll keep practicing them to be sure.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
RoboRay

Tropical trade-winds out of the north-east are by far the most typical, prevailing wind condition in Hawaii. Why do none of the in-game weather options mimic the actual winds commonly found there?

Low & Threatening comes closest, and also gives clouds that look somewhat like the typical cloud patterns of the islands, but the wind direction still isn't quite right.

Last edited by RoboRay: 04-25-2012 at 01:46 PM.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
AzureWX

The direction is pretty well dead-on for the Low & Threatening type. Keep in mind the magnetic deviation when you think "This is too northerly!!!!"
AzureWX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
wlayton27

Thought this post deserved a bump, as it hasn't received any sticky status yet.

Just recently went back and tried some various weather patterns during jobs again.

My earlier post regarding the level of difficulty in the weather systems was a bit off, but I still stand by it to a fair degree.

The winds can vary wildly at different locations, and they can get rather unbearable near low pressure areas and clouds. Even with just Isolated T-storms selected, I occasionally have my aileron and rudder controls maxed out to stay in a side-slip on landing and taxi ... but most flights are uneventful and the winds may not even be noticeable on many landings.

I'm starting to like the Low and Threatening system more and more, and as AzureWX said, it's pretty darn close to a typical Hawaiian weather factor.

With enough practice on side-slip landings, I'm getting better at keeping passengers happy, even with squalls and inclement weather. It's best to avoid the high altitude airstrips (Waimea-Kohala, Bradshaw AAF, and Puu Waa Waa Ranch) in the tougher weather, and select jobs that land in low altitude coastal airports.

Among the Giants and Storm Cells are still a real threat, and should be reserved for pilots that are after a real challenge. I can't say for certain that most aircraft would even fly in that weather, or if the pilots would delay or cancel their flights until the weather clears up a bit.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
EastCoastGuy

One thing I've noticed is that in certain weather systems, even with moderate winds, I'll experience increased turbulence when crossing mountains or ridge lines. Nice touch.

I flew in one really strong weather system one night in an Icon north of Dillingham. (Storm cells? Stormy weather?) The gusts were astonishing; they shook the Icon like a rag doll, and several times a sudden gust yanked the nose around as much as 50 degrees. I survived long enough to land.
EastCoastGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
aceofspades55

Yea my compiled list is only a general idea of what the weather should be like since there is definately some variance depending on location ect. For the most part think they did an alright job on the weather, the most anoying is just the certain systems that have an easily visable cloud pattern that looks like a checkerboard hehe.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #13
EastCoastGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceofspades55 View Post
Yea my compiled list is only a general idea of what the weather should be like since there is definately some variance depending on location ect.
How true! I've flown "Isolated Thunderstorms" before and found it rather bland. But I just did a flight around Honolulu with that setting and the turbulence and wind gusts were astonishing. I saw gusts as high as 96 knots.

Quote:
For the most part think they did an alright job on the weather, the most anoying is just the certain systems that have an easily visable cloud pattern that looks like a checkerboard hehe.
I wish there was a setting of "Solid Overcast at X Thousand Feet" that you couldn't see through until dropping below it. Seeing only mountaintops above it would be cool -- and accurate.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #14
aceofspades55

Added the two new weather effects to list from title update today.

Can we get this stickied please?
Old 06-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
EastCoastGuy

Uh... mixed weather varies a LOT by region!

Some of us were flying around the big island -- at Hilo the winds were 16 kts, while at the same time, at Upolu winds were 68 kts at ground level. Watching a few planes hovering over the runway in helicopter mode is a blast.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Microsoft Flight > Gameplay Discussion