Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Rebel_
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Reputation: 0
Posts: 43
ATi 4850HD Sapphire

Recently been getting alot of noise from my fan, and noticed that it broke 3 of its blades/wings. Fished them out, and now the thing literally rumbles as the fan is no longer leveled out, or even stable for that fact.

Is there anywhere I can look into for a replacement 39mm 3pin fan? Tried google, and get nothing but entire 4850 cards, instead of the fan component.

P.S - Only place Ive found it is eBay so far, but not willing to PP or even use eBay for that fact.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA..._id=8800005007

^ The fan.

Last edited by Rebel_: 05-05-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Rebel_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
shado028
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Reputation: 60
Posts: 264
Perhaps its time to upgrade your card... and given that its from the HD4xxx generation, it couldn't be hard to find something that outperforms it at minimal cost.

EDIT: What I mean is, its probably cheaper to go out and buy some $50 graphics card than it is to find and replace the fan... and then consider the extra performance you get.
shado028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Rebel_
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Reputation: 0
Posts: 43
Ive been looking into that, but according to a friend theres no real reason too seeing as my Mobo is... sorta on the low end, Id be seeing pretty minimal performance increases.

Mobo
CPU

Last edited by Rebel_: 05-05-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Fixed links.
Rebel_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
HomerPepsi
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Reputation: 454
Posts: 739
You may still want to consider upgrading. AMD is killing support for anything pre 5000 series in catalyst 12.7

source
HomerPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
Rebel_
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Reputation: 0
Posts: 43
But to what? My Mobo doesnt support much as its bottle necked with DDR2 garbage. Heard the 5xxx are damn lack luster, and the 6xxx have fan noise/heat issues at times.

Ahh, fkin computers, why you be so difficult and annoying. Love, Hate relationship with PCs at this rate.
Rebel_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
BuffCareBear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Reputation: 34
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_ View Post
But to what? My Mobo doesnt support much as its bottle necked with DDR2 garbage. Heard the 5xxx are damn lack luster, and the 6xxx have fan noise/heat issues at times.

Ahh, fkin computers, why you be so difficult and annoying. Love, Hate relationship with PCs at this rate.
I was just on Ebay looking at 5770 due to an issue I'm having(lol) and some 5770's are going for $60-$80. It's a damn good card to.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories
BuffCareBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
masta121
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Reputation: 702
Posts: 4,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by shado028 View Post
Perhaps its time to upgrade your card... and given that its from the HD4xxx generation, it couldn't be hard to find something that outperforms it at minimal cost.

EDIT: What I mean is, its probably cheaper to go out and buy some $50 graphics card than it is to find and replace the fan... and then consider the extra performance you get.
You're not going to find anything at $50 that outperforms a 4850. Unless you go on Ebay for used stuff I suppose.

Last edited by masta121: 05-05-2012 at 11:15 PM.
masta121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
Rebel_
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Reputation: 0
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by masta121 View Post
You're not going to find anything at $50 that outperforms a 4850.
Exactly, so theres no real reason to "upgrade" with a bottle necking Mobo at this point. Guess Ill just look into a local PC shop if they have a 3pin fan or something.
Rebel_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
BuffCareBear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Reputation: 34
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_ View Post
Exactly, so theres no real reason to "upgrade" with a bottle necking Mobo at this point. Guess Ill just look into a local PC shop if they have a 3pin fan or something.
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...C=1152&ID=1586

This something you're looking for? Looks like it's $50 and made for the 4850.
BuffCareBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
masta121
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Reputation: 702
Posts: 4,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_ View Post
Exactly, so theres no real reason to "upgrade" with a bottle necking Mobo at this point. Guess Ill just look into a local PC shop if they have a 3pin fan or something.
You can just get a replacement cooler like this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233058
masta121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #11
BuffCareBear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Reputation: 34
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by masta121 View Post
You can just get a replacement cooler like this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233058
+1 for this suggestion.
BuffCareBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #12
Doc_Gonzo
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 848
Posts: 1,705
I don't know what you have against Ebay as I've used it for hard to find parts and cheap ones for years without a problem and they have just a replacement fan for sale.
It's the cheapest option, unless you want to try buying a 80mm fan and finding a way to tape it on somehow (if that would even work)
I wouldn't spend $40 on a complete new heatsink / fan assembly though as you could get another card for just a little more.
That motherboard and CPU are not a huge bottleneck IMO. Neither is the DDR2 RAM. There's not a huge difference between DDR2 and DDR3.
You could put a more powerful card in there and still see noticeable performance gains, not minimal gains like your friend has said so I'd consider a new card if you can afford it!
Doc_Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
Rebel_
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Reputation: 0
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Gonzo View Post
I don't know what you have against Ebay as I've used it for hard to find parts and cheap ones for years without a problem and they have just a replacement fan for sale.
It's the cheapest option, unless you want to try buying a 80mm fan and finding a way to tape it on somehow (if that would even work)
I wouldn't spend $40 on a complete new heatsink / fan assembly though as you could get another card for just a little more.
That motherboard and CPU are not a huge bottleneck IMO. Neither is the DDR2 RAM. There's not a huge difference between DDR2 and DDR3.
You could put a more powerful card in there and still see noticeable performance gains, not minimal gains like your friend has said so I'd consider a new card if you can afford it!
This : Estimated between Tue. May. 22 and Tue. Jun. 5

Not waiting almost an entire month for a dinky piece of plastic. I more or less need a quick-ish solution that doesnt have me sitting here with a 100% unstable rumbling GPU.

Sadly you cant replace the power of a $50 4850 with anything worth while that is under 100$
Rebel_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #14
Doc_Gonzo
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 848
Posts: 1,705
Ahhhhhh, sorry, I didn't see that it had to be shipped from overseas!
If you really don't want to spend a lot of money, there's another option I can think of. Buy a replacement, second hand card from Ebay (that ships quickly) and buy that replacement fan too. When the fan arrives, fix your own card and then re-sell the card you bought. If you're lucky, you won't lose much on the original price.
Doc_Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
BuffCareBear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Reputation: 34
Posts: 256
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/304?vs=296 just go for a 5770 if you're that big of a rush. Find a good one off amazon or ebay for $60-$80.
BuffCareBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.