Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 05-06-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
ThePurpleWiggle

I need some ideas please

I have been considering making a game with some friends.
Now this is a lot of ideas, now basically i would like you guys to tell me some ideas you have that i have not listed, or good elements and features you have enjoyed in other games.

Its main ideas and elements need to be new and innovative like portal or like minecraft.
I brainstormed with one of my friends on what a good game needs and this is what we thought of;
being rewarded
decent graphics(dwarf fortress is an example of where this has been over looked)
easy navigation and menu perhaps immersive or an innovative menu (e.g a hall full of doors that represent options and they must be walked through)
an easy menu and control scheme with the ability to customize it(another dwarf fortress mistake)
good storyline
unique well defined characters (think glados from portal or caleb from blood) e.g if the character is an evil villain he must wear a big brown dirty coat with a few holes (think fallout nv) with a big hat that hides his eyes all but for two small red glowing dots, he needs a rough/deep voice and a personality eminates mess with me, i dare you, and if some one does mess with him he should remain calm and leave without threatening the person just glance at them.
so that is what i mean by well defined.
it needs to be fun
it should immerse the player fully
character development, it should make a player feel sad or happy if a charachter dies or if the character is happy
a variety of weapons and tools e.g alliance the silent war (not yet released, i seriously suggest you check it out) has a huge amount of guns or tools and so does borderlands.
easy to get into (dwarf fortress again does this badly, dont get me wrong it is an excellent game)
variety of environments
good sound effects and music
a few epic battles
high poly models and good textures
strategy and tactics
the character controls everything e.g brothers in arms hells highway, you were able to tell the npcs what to do
heres an idea maybe an rts that when you have a battle plan you could take part in the battle as a soldier and switch between the commander and soldier views

I am going to post this on some other forums now so i will be offline.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:22 AM   #2
vanHoi

First of all, please use capital letters and points.

''easy navigation and menu perhaps immersive or an innovative menu (e.g a hall full of doors that represent options and they must be walked through)''

I shouldn't go for a 'innovative menu', games like Dirt 2 shows that they are hard to use, and for the developer just some extra work.
vanHoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
MagFlare

As we all know, a good game must have:
  • RPGs
  • Cards
  • Stats, gems, and webs
  • The ability to online with friends... or your enemies
  • A protagonist who's really tough
  • Like really, really tough
  • So tough that no one ever makes fun of him or tries to steal his Hot Wheels cars
  • Not even Todd
MagFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
Arvuti

As an independent developer myself, I looked over you're notes and well isn't this kind of ambitious ? I'm going to go ahead and assume you have no experience. I would advice either starting out with making mods, pick a discipline you like like for example level design, 3d modelling etc. Source is pretty popular for mods, it's easy to use and it's fairly widely known. But don't start with such big projects from the start, get more and more experience starting with simple mods and maps and then moving up as you gain experience.
Arvuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
ThePurpleWiggle

I may seem ridiculous and far to ambitious by my last post. You are correct I have little of the required skills, some experience 3d moddeling, programming and sound editing.

But my idea was to use this game as a starting point only doing the simple parts first, thus gaining me experience and go on tutorials or ask if I find something I can't discover myself. I also have 3 other friends with experience in other areas that want to help.
ThePurpleWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
BensonTito

Banned
Go to E3 and make friends with a rich man, because you're gonna needs loads of sweet dollar.
BensonTito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:33 AM   #7
MagFlare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurpleWiggle View Post
But my idea was to use this game as a starting point only doing the simple parts first, thus gaining me experience and go on tutorials or ask if I find something I can't discover myself.
If you're serious about breaking into videogame development, you're going to want to paddle around in the shallow end of the pool a bit before you knife-fight a shark. See a couple of small projects through from beginning to end and then start trying to revolutionize the industry with your well-defined filthy-coat-wearing villains and tactical strategies.

Why not start with, say, a Half-Life 2 mod? Or a simple 2D platformer? Because while your desire to teach yourself the necessary skills even as you hammer out your masterpiece is charmingly optimistic, I imagine your idea of what a good game should be is going to evolve somewhat as you acquire experience.
MagFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:56 AM   #8
ThePurpleWiggle

Thank you all for being so helpful and I agree I will start at shallow end.
ThePurpleWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips