Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Analogue: A Hate Story

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #16
TamaSaga

I think that VN's are a potential market that can become very big. It's not very big right now, but I think that's because everyone believes that VN's are unpopular and will never succeed here. Because of that, no one wants to take the risk and popularize it.

If you want a "decent" story, I'd like to point out Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney as an example of a VN. You wouldn't think it, but at its heart, cycling through menus and pressing buttons was the essence of its gameplay. Yet the design was very clever.

And yet, why is it that Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations and Phoenix Wright: Justice for All cannot be obtained as new? You can only find them sold as used. I remember reading rumors that it was because Capcom didn't think that the games would succeed so they made a limited run.

I'd go on and on, but I think answering your question is more important than convincing you to join me in making one.

Last edited by TamaSaga: 05-05-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #17
Zaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightMason View Post
At first I thought, "What's next? Order E books through steam? I don't come to steam for that."

I should say that I have never heard of these so called 'VN's' until I saw this.
And I read comments in the forums that made me wonder where this generation went wrong.
Like why can't people just pick up a book and read?

Then I realized the mechanics of these so called 'VN's' don't work well without some minimal gaming background to smooth things over. A variable or two just to track progress. AI's to interact with. Etc.

Now I don't particularly care for the 'authors' portrayal of characters in the overall story, so I can't say I like it.

Something I'm a little disturbed by is that anyone can play this game. And it's probably more graphic mentally than any visual game I've seen. So now we'll have another screwed up generation of kids reading garbage.
But hey as long as they're reading right?
I have to wonder where the rating system is here.

But placed in the right context however, the idea of a VN sparks some creative ideas that interest me as a developer.
That is, if there actually is a wide market for this 'game' genre.
So that said, are there any decent stories built in this platform yet? Without all the fetish crap?
(Maybe that's the wrong word. Lets say 'graphic'.)
Note: Some spoilers ahead if you've not played the game yet, also spoilers for the VN "Saya no Uta" in the second to last paragraph.

I'm honestly quite surprised that people still feel that books/movies/games/music/etc can somehow "change" a person so drastically. GTA does not make you a murdering drug dealer, Shin Megami Tensei isn't going to get me into worshiping demons or whatnot, and this VN isn't going to make me go
Spoiler:
vent life support on a space ship.

And yes, "fetish" is the wrong word. Nothing in this game appeals to any specific fetish, it simply explains a story. Maybe you're one of those people who live in their own little bubble and think that things like lesbian relationships are taboo or something, but things like this have happened since the beginning of recorded history, and I'm sure further back.

Also, I suggest you get thicker skin. If you thought this was "graphic", I'd love to see how you felt of something like Saya no Uta, what with a father
Spoiler:
murdering his wife/daughter with painting utensils to the point where they're no longer even recognizable, the main character eating other people, and the whole /slavery thing going on.

I personally enjoyed the VN very much, not only the story, but also the interface and the "feel" of the game. The only thing I really feel could have been improved upon was the whole power source/reactor issue. I feel it would have been more interesting if it continually lowered as we asked more questions, making us have to think of what is most important to ask and what is not.

Anyways, thank you for the great VN Ms. Love. I'm looking forward to your future works.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #18
Christine Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaft View Post
Nothing in this game appeals to any specific fetish,
Well, excluding the cosplay bit, anyway.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #19
MrPuschel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Love View Post

Since we figured that out now, can we also get a catsuit for mute? :3
Old 05-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #20
Zaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Love View Post
I wouldn't exactly call that a fetish, but fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPuschel View Post
Since we figured that out now, can we also get a catsuit for mute? :3
Hah, yeah, I was kinda sad that I couldn't put her into something else. I actually tried change_outfit with her just to see if I could :P
Old 05-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #21
ToruMasuta

There should have at least been dialogue options if you tried to change Mute's outfit. Her getting angry at you because you tried to put her into a man's clothes with change_outfit detective would have been hilarious.

Definitely play the game at least once after having told her you're a woman. The dialogue changes are amazing.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Analogue: A Hate Story