Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series

Old 05-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #121
naughtydog2k3

Banned
Pre-ordered Diablo III, Torchlight II and Grim Dawn so I win.
naughtydog2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #122
ElazulHP

Torchlight 2 is going to be the better game anyways regardless of how well Diablo 3 sells. They will really only be buying the name. It is a shell of its former glory IMHO. Already out the bat you have a highly restrictive DRM system. Then on top of that you have the Real Money auction house. If that doesn't lure scammers and cheaters I don't know what will(you know besides blizzard who is the real thief with that obvious money grab).

More? Ok, you got characters and customization. Torchlight 2 is superior in the fact that you can customize your looks and gender so not everyone looks the same like in Diablo 3. On top of that you have new items and skills to bring that customization out further.

Then stack on modding, multiplayer/co-op, OFFLINE single player, and the price being 1/3 of Diablo and you cannot miss.

Longevity will be better too IMHO. Torchlight 2 will sport random dungeons, random zones, Achievements and new games plus.

Of course some will want to buy both which is understandable. I just feel that Torchlight will be the stronger game in the end.
ElazulHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #123
OmegaDL50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElazulHP View Post
Torchlight 2 is superior in the fact that you can customize your looks and gender so not everyone looks the same like in Diablo 3.
You do realize you can also customize the characters face and gender in Diablo 3 as well right?

I mean I understand your all for Torchlight II but if you are going to try to make a comparison just make sure your information is correct on both games not to come off so fanatically bias.
OmegaDL50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #124
ElazulHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaDL50 View Post
You do realize you can also customize the characters face and gender in Diablo 3 as well right?

I mean I understand your all for Torchlight II but if you are going to try to make a comparison just make sure your information is correct on both games not to come off so fanatically bias.
You can choose male or female. Beyond that there is no where near the depth of customization that Torchlight 2 offers. Facial feature customization, appearance, and gender vs just gender yeah.
ElazulHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #125
Simian_

Funnily enough, when one of the TL2 devs was streaming earlier this morning, he claimed that he had already pre-ordered the Diablo 3 collector's edition. So it seems maybe the devs really don't care as much about certain issues as we do, although maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Personally, I will never buy Diablo 3. Always requiring internet even for even for single player, no LAN play, a real-money auction house where Blizzard takes a cut of the money... these things are unacceptable to me.
Simian_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #126
Antonin Artaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella artois View Post
Your turn.
Right, but both assertions are wrong. "Most" didn't leave Blizzard - every single person from the core bay area team of 60 when D2 shipped is now gone from there except just one.

And all of the original Diablo core team devs have been gone for over five years, with almost all of them gone for about a decade.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/com...#comment-10104

Last edited by Antonin Artaud: 05-06-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Antonin Artaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #127
Mehbah

Anyone that doesn't hate the crap they're trying to pull with that game is objectively stupid. By buying that game, what you're saying is "yes Activision, please shove that spiked stick up my , I don't like owning the things I pay for anyway. Please keep treating your customers worse and worse, because I'm too stupid to vote with my wallet. Other publishers, you should also apply more draconian DRM to your products, because as you can see, we'll still buy them."

Even if you and I don't have a problem with always-on DRM (but we will, sooner or later), it makes the games completely unplayable for a lot of people. And it'll only get worse from here on.
Mehbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #128
Graeystone

I think some people are misunderstanding the purpose of Beta. Both TL2 and Diablo 3 are having issues that need fixed. One TL 2 tester couldn't log onto an active co-op game, another tester was being Zerg Rushed big time against a Boss and its minions on Normal Setting. Granted TL 2's Normal Setting is more challenging than TL1's Normal, it was still overkill.

Diablo 3 Beta probably has similar issues about not being able to access the servers or unbalanced difficulty spikes.

Now that being said, Activision/Blizzard idea of having to be online all the time has to be one of the most stupidest ideas for a DRM or whatever to come along. On top of that I'm not thrilled about the Auction House either.

Antonin Artaud - That's a polite way of saying Blizzard North got shut down and everyone fired by Vindendi.
Graeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #129
Antonin Artaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeystone View Post
Antonin Artaud - That's a polite way of saying Blizzard North got shut down and everyone fired by Vindendi.
That's actually inaccurate. About a dozen left for flagship in '03, about a dozen went somewhere else around that time, and a small handful actually made the move down to irvine in '05.

And anyone that thinks that vivendi had any pull in terms of decisions in irvine really knows nothing about any of the parties involved, especially after WoW was released and was an instant money geyser.

Funny how idiots take some lines from the wikipedia article at face value, even without any real documentation, until the meme becomes accepted history.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #130
Capn Tucker

I was all pumped for D3 until I heard about the online-only DRM for single player. Why in hell should I have to be online for f***ing single player!? And no LAN play either? And no mods?
Torchlight 2 still has off-line play, LAN and mods, so that one's a no-brainer. And only 1/3rd the price. Activision can shove "World of Diablocraft" up their collective a**es..
Capn Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #131
Fri13

I have heard fanatic D2 players to fall in love with D3 because the streamlined gameplay and "removing artificial choices" etc....
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #132
Tripiṭaka

There have always been two pretty distinct groups of Diablo fans.

Those (and I think this includes the developers of Diablo) who envisaged a real-time roguelike. Torchlight 2 is for them.

And then those who were more attracted to the idea of a tournament hack-em-up. Diablo 3 is for these guys.
Tripiṭaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #133
Antonin Artaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripiṭaka View Post
There have always been two pretty distinct groups of Diablo fans.

Those (and I think this includes the developers of Diablo) who envisaged a real-time roguelike. Torchlight 2 is for them.

And then those who were more attracted to the idea of a tournament hack-em-up. Diablo 3 is for these guys.

Generally agree, but as far as the 'tournament' aspect goes, both titles have really neglected PVP, and even when D3 finally gets it, it may just be a limited arena style instead of in an open world.

It's funny, this is the year of the ARPG with like 4 titles, but I don't know if any of them really focus on satisfying the PVP crowd.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #134
Angry Alien

I am still not sure if I will buy Torchlight 2. For my personal taste Torchlight is way to colourful, it is just not... dark enough. But thats just me, I actually like game mechanics though.

Anyway, I will not buy Diablo 3 for three reasons.

1.) I donīt like the skill system. Again, that might just be my personal taste. Some people think it is better, I think it is worse. Maybe you canīt screw up your char anymore, but for me finding out how things work and how to develop your character was part of the fun for me. When I started to play a paladin in D2 I royally screwed up, I just could not handle the whole hammer thing. Then I decided to go close combat and turned my paladin into some kind of mobile meat grinder, something not many people seemed to have done. And I was so proud when I realised that it actually worked very well. The new skill system will not give me the opportuny to do so - and I donīt like that.

2.) The price. Come on... almost 60 Euros, 78 Dollar for a PC game? No bloody way.

3.) DRM. And thats the main reason for me I will never ever buy Diablo 3, even if it is in the bargain bin for 5 bucks.

I never ever played the Diablo games in MP, for me it was single player only. So why the hell am I forced to be online all the time? And donīt give me the "Cheat protection" argument. If someone want to use his char for SP and MP, well, that is fine for me - but in this case it should be easy enough to create an extra mode for those players. You want to play SP and MP? Fine, be online all the time. You only want to play SP? Great, do an online activation once and stay offline later. Where is the problem here?

I pay for a game and I want to play it whenever I want - working internet or not. Not everyone has DSL, even nowadays. I lived in an area for quite some time where DSL was just not available. Sometimes your stupid neighbor cuts the cable while testing his new mini excavator (happened to me). Sometimes the servers will not work. Whatever, the whole online thing is crap crap crap.

I surely do not hate Doablo 3, I just donīt like how customers get screwed and spoon-fed once again.
Angry Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #135
LadyCrimson

I don't hate D3. And I did play the beta. However, the Monk was the only class I found at all fun/interesting, at least during the short area allowed within the stress beta.

Here's the thing for me personally:

--online only
--RealID
--dungeons and maps that felt short, small, empty, and simple to navigate (eg, dull design)
--Skills and gameplay format that, to me, equals lack of re playability. Sure it'll be light combat fun to play whatever class/es you latch onto through the difficulties. See what they can do, see all the craftable items and all that. But after that? Nothing. No motivation to play it again building a new character. Sit around with high level chrs. waiting for ladder resets (if that's your thing) or DLC's/expansions (if that's your thing) or whatever other high-level stuff Blizzard thinks up. In short, I didn't like the character mechanics.
--(edit: oh yeah, I also dislike the smaller allowed number of players in MP games.

Any one of those things I might not have minded on it's own. Any one of those things I might be able to over look if I thought the game was going to give me a similar kind of experience/fun/replay that Diablo1 and Diablo2 did. But since I don't think that, all of those things combined = "No thank you."

If Blizzard ever drops the price by 20-30 bucks, maybe. But knowing Blizzard, they won't do that for years. :P

Last edited by LadyCrimson: 05-07-2012 at 04:13 PM.
LadyCrimson is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series