Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Source games

Old 05-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #91
dragisman

bump plz fix
dragisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #92
AssassiN MI

Wow, people still don't know how to fix this?

Okay, while digging through this thread I found a helpful video posted by someone, I'll just relink it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCAE7Y8U5A0

Other Solutions : If you think the map is custom to the server (as in someone who owns the server or a community member that they have modded the map) then get a friend to join the server, preferably one who's on a PC (they tend to not get this problem as much) and have him dig through his files and upload the map to Media Fire, then ask him to give you the link to the download, and finally, place the map into your maps folder.

The directory for that is : Library - Application Support - Steam - Steamapps - (YOUR USERNAME) - team fortress 2 - tf - maps

The best solution IMO : Just google the map and try to find the right map to place in your maps folder.

Things to note : Launch TF2 and check your options and go to your Multiplayer tab. On the bottom right corner there should be a box called "When a game server tries to download custom content to your computer.." make sure you click on the one that says : Allow all custom files from server.

REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS! Kinda tired of seeing people not being able to play custom maps.

**NOTE** This also works with many other games, not just TF2. Same procedures, just make sure you put the map into the right directory, the directories will be different for every game.
AssassiN MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #93
Mangr0v3

That's not a solution, it's a workaround.
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #94
AssassiN MI

Well If they really wanted to play custom maps that bad, It's better to find a workaround then to wait around and whine for a fix that will probably NEVER come.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #95
Mangr0v3

Or, y'know, actually find a reproducible case so they can actually try fix it.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #96
AssassiN MI

We're talking about Valve here, so we'd have a better chance of getting hats than an update that fixes this.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #97
N0rb

This really needs to get fixd...

All the Workarounds are cool, but not a real Solution for it...

It is completly reproducable, you get this error on every Server which makes use of the sv_fastdownload command (Most of the Servers use it...) and you client doesnt have the map...
N0rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #98
Ditocoaf

AssassiN MI, look at it this way: this thread isn't about complaining that we can't ever play custom maps. It's about complaining that the only way to play custom maps is to use a bad workaround. It's about that a bug exists at all, one that seriously effects our gameplay experience.

Lots of the people in this thread are using the workaround, see. I'm doing it every single time a new custom map pops up on my favorite server. I spend 5 to 30 minutes scrounging around for the map file, every time. I usually end up completely missing the the round on that map.

This thread is asking for Valve to actually fix the problem, so we don't have to use the clunky workaround anymore, and can actually play the god♥♥♥♥ game normally.

Just because a bug doesn't prevent you from playing at all, doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed. This is a bug report thread, serving as notification and reminder that people have the problem. The existence of a half-functional workaround doesn't mean we should all just shut up forever.

Last edited by Ditocoaf: 05-06-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Ditocoaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #99
Mangr0v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0rb View Post
It is completly reproducable, you get this error on every Server which makes use of the sv_fastdownload command (Most of the Servers use it...) and you client doesnt have the map...
Not every server, I tried it in a small VM setup and it worked 100% of the time.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #100
N0rb

Quote:
Not every server, I tried it in a small VM setup and it worked 100% of the time.
Meh, then it is the sv_fastdownload thing combined with compressed Maps...
Everytime i have that problem (and thats often!), there is a downloaded .bz2 File in my maps folder...

I completely stopped playing Garrys Mod, as it prevents you from joining all those cool modded Servers.
N0rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #101
frogsmoothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0rb View Post
Meh, then it is the sv_fastdownload thing combined with compressed Maps...
Everytime i have that problem (and thats often!), there is a downloaded .bz2 File in my maps folder...

I completely stopped playing Garrys Mod, as it prevents you from joining all those cool modded Servers.
Makes TTT a complete pain. Speaking of Gmod is anyone else having a crash when you open it?
frogsmoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #102
Sukid

Bumping for some info I've gotten.

The same problem tends to happen when downloading a .bz2 compressed map and unzipping it with Mac OSX's unarchiver. I'm certain the issue is with decompression. That's why downloading from gamebanana works, they use 7z or rar compression.

So if anyone using the workaround is downloading a .bz2 file (like, say, from the server's fastdl server directly) then you should decompress it with a third-party program like Zipeg or EZ7Z instead of the default unzipper.

Very strange why this affects Tf2 though. I would think it would have its own decompresser built in.

Last edited by Sukid: 06-11-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Sukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #103
vahnx

I'm encountering the same issue. It is indeed Mac OS X unarchiving of .bz2 files that seems to be the issue. Downloading from fps banana and decompressing that into the maps folder, it works flawlessly. Unfortunately, the zombie server I play on CSS has custom maps on a regular basis.
vahnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #104
Mangr0v3

No, it would be Source unarchiving specifically-formatted BZip2 files. Mac OS X handles BZip2 fine, and when I tried to reproduce with BZip2 files from 7Zip, Source handled it perfectly.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #105
vahnx

My bad, it's Steam on Mac OS X's handling of unarchiving bz2 files.
vahnx is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Source games