Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Competitive Team Play and League discussion

Old 05-06-2012, 04:13 AM   #1
Mad Dog >:C

Post The Competitive Words EXPLAINED!

Hello everyone,a lot of players ask what certain words mean from a comp match.So I am gonna try to put as much of "comp words" in this thread so all of the players can understand.
And if I forgot something please write it down and I will put it in the OP.

Highlander (HL)=A competitive match,where players are restricted to play 1 class (9v9).

Cookie Cutter=Standard 6v6 match with 2 Soldiers,2 Scouts,1 Medic and 1 Demo.

Solly=Short for Soldier.

Lit=Low on health.

Tagged=When a enemy was hit severely times and telling the damage e.g.The medic was tagged for 40

Scrim=A practice match between two teams (6v6 or 9v9).

Pocket Soldier=A soldier which stays with his medic all of the time in a 6v6 match

Roaming Soldier=The roamer is the soldier who plays further from the medic than his partner in the cookie cutter formation. This soldier's responsibility is to be a key force outside the main circle of actions.

Bombing=Is a tactic which is used by the roaming soldiers.Baiting consists of rocket jumping across an open area onto or immediately near the opposing side's Medic in an effort to either kill him off (when he does not have an uber ready) or force him to pop his uber (when he has one).

Flash Uber=Ubering more players at the same time.

Fat Uber=Using your whole uber on one player.

Vanilla loadout=A player who uses a stock loadout.

+forward: when a player will just go forward, usually implying high aggression or without little thought. Also can refer to a style of play. (thank you my_fist)

PCW (Practice Clan War): Same as Scrim

Offclass: Where a scout/solder will switch class for situational purposes in attempt to gain an advantage. E.G.:
1.A Heavy on last point - High HP, High DPS, however slow movement, but not needed since you won't be going anyway soon.
2.A sniper - pushing to last for a pick, making a final push easier, safety from being behind teammates, but also quite deadly if the enemy isn't aware.

Pick: To kill a key target, such as Medic (To remove healing capabities), Demo (To remove the high damage output) or an offclassing player.(thank you Lythiium)

Build=hurting yourself to get uber faster (thank you FuRy213)

Badlands Map Overview (thank you Captain Surprise)

Thats all that i can remember :/ if you have some ideas please post them and i will add them in the OP.

Last edited by Mad Dog >:C: 05-11-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
Juracule

Honestly I think people generally prefer knowing specific words for certain map areas, such as "-house" for the little house at mid of Badlands.
Juracule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
Washy

what is map room in badwater
Washy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
Aqwertybqwerty

Don't forget roamer, lit, push, hold, pick, offclass, bombing...etc...
Aqwertybqwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washy View Post
what is map room in badwater
two rooms that branch off the alley and lead to open windows that overlook the final point.
I didnt find any picture to show it to you.

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Badwater_Basin

Hers a link if you want to check it more.
Mad Dog >:C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
GhosTz

Might want to use a different color for the words. Had to highlight them to read it. :<

Also, that's not what baiting is. Baiting is when you're waiting somewhere out of view of the enemy team (basically hiding) and you get a teammate to try to "bait" them into you so you get an easy kill. Used almost exclusively on the flank by scouts and the roamer.

Edit: I think you meant "bombing".
GhosTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
MPJesus

your definition of baiting is usually called bombing

edit: im blind

Last edited by MPJesus: 05-06-2012 at 08:38 PM.
MPJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
my_fist

House: On badlands middle point (also just called middle or 3rd cp) the structure across from your house. Usually want to roll a scout valley to spot out scout rushing on your demo through this PoS route

+forward: when a player will just go forward, usually implying high aggression or without little thought. Also can refer to a style of play
my_fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Lythiium

You could add:
  • PCW (Practice Clan War): Same as Scrim (I get asked this a lot)
  • Offclass: Where a scout/solder will switch class for situational purposes in attempt to gain an advantage. E.G.:
    1. A Heavy on last point - High HP, High DPS, however slow movement, but not needed since you won't be going anyway soon.
    2. A sniper - pushing to last for a pick, making a final push easier, safety from being behind teammates, but also quite deadly if the enemy isn't aware.
  • Pick: To kill a key target, such as Medic (To remove healing capabities), Demo (To remove the high damage output) or an offclassing player.
Lythiium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
CaptainSurprise

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QLp6ngGSko
CaptainSurprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
FuRy213

build - damage self to get uber faster
FuRy213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
GuyStar

Quote:
Bombing=Is a tactic which is used by the roaming soldiers.Baiting consists of rocket jumping across an open area onto or immediately near the opposing side's Medic in an effort to either kill him off (when he does not have an uber ready) or force him to pop his uber (when he has one).
I was initially confused upon reading this, thinking Baiting was a sub-strategy or something. Fix, please.
GuyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPJesus View Post
your definition of baiting is usually called bombing

edit: im blind
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhosTz View Post
Might want to use a different color for the words. Had to highlight them to read it. :<

Also, that's not what baiting is. Baiting is when you're waiting somewhere out of view of the enemy team (basically hiding) and you get a teammate to try to "bait" them into you so you get an easy kill. Used almost exclusively on the flank by scouts and the roamer.

Edit: I think you meant "bombing".
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyStar View Post
I was initially confused upon reading this, thinking Baiting was a sub-strategy or something. Fix, please.
im confused.
Which one is right?
Mad Dog >:C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
mustardoverlord

bombing is right

baiting is when one of your players overextends on purpose trying to get the other team to chase him so your team can pick them off
mustardoverlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #15
Cuttlefishes

Maybe add dropped (as in, uber dropped)?
Cuttlefishes is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Competitive Team Play and League discussion