Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 04-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #286
Exploder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
I'll be moving to an SSD in the near future, and multi-HD support will be essential for me. Come on Valve, hear our cries!
Same here, 2 months from now and I'll finally join the SSD crowd. I really want to have Steam itself and maybe some games on the SSD, while I put the rest on a regular HDD.
Exploder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #287
Buntfunk

This really needs to happen yesterday. BUMP
Buntfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #288
AuraofVengeance

It's a shame that the only documented features that are coming are the BIG UI. I'm sure there will be a lot of additional changes coming with it but something simple like adding installation paths to steam seems to be thrown to the side and forgotten.

I do see a need for this in the future with people eventually filling 500GB - 2TB drives that would rather keep things installed instead of uninstalling for space. The same applies for those with more recent technology like SSD's that are still expensive and would like to break their game installs between a smaller sized SSD and a much larger HDD for everything else.
AuraofVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #289
Epsilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraofVengeance View Post
It's a shame that the only documented features that are coming are the BIG UI. I'm sure there will be a lot of additional changes coming with it but something simple like adding installation paths to steam seems to be thrown to the side and forgotten.
Not so. As is said here: http://store.steampowered.com/news/5856/ Steam's rolling over to a new content system.

It's slow going (slower than I expected, for sure) but that's going to bring a lot of new download and content management features with it when it's fully rolled out. I would be rather surprised if changing install paths isn't one of them.
Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #290
zodaex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntfunk View Post
This really needs to happen yesterday. BUMP
Yesterday? This should have been implemented in 2008!!!!!
zodaex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #291
City Builder

I have to wonder how much extra Steam is spending in bandwidth (and other associated costs) for those people that either don't know they can make backups of their games locally or don't want to for whatever reason and since they are running on an SSD, the delete a steam game today and then download it tomorrow or the next day or next week to play it again instead if they had the choice of using multiple steam locations they'd not delete the games and not have to re-download them again.

I make backups in Steam of my games before deleting the game if it's over 400MB, anything below that and I just delete it and re-download it if I want to play it in the future.
City Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #292
Montyleeny15

Regarding this, I think the OP would find it useful to create a partitioned hard-drive on the system (i.e. splitting memory of the main hard-drive for a separate use) which Steam could be installed on. I did that and my games do not conflict with my other files which are on the System hard-drive. When you install steam on the partitioned hard-drive, you also install games onto that hard-drive, and what's good about it is that you can control how much the memory of the hard-drive, which is efficient!
Montyleeny15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #293
FreemanForPrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Builder View Post
I have to wonder how much extra Steam is spending in bandwidth (and other associated costs) for those people that either don't know they can make backups of their games locally or don't want to for whatever reason and since they are running on an SSD, the delete a steam game today and then download it tomorrow or the next day or next week to play it again instead if they had the choice of using multiple steam locations they'd not delete the games and not have to re-download them again.

I make backups in Steam of my games before deleting the game if it's over 400MB, anything below that and I just delete it and re-download it if I want to play it in the future.
That's an excellent point.

I also wonder what they're gonna do when more and more people start using SSD's and Valve gets inundated with support tickets after the users fudge their attempts at making symbolic links...

ATTENTION VALVE:
IT IS IN EVERYONE'S BEST INTEREST FOR YOU TO REMEDY THIS SITUATION - Not just ours, but yours too.
FreemanForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #294
filmguy123

It's literally ridiculous that this hasn't been implemented yet.

Valve is a company for PC gamers. Choosing install location is PC gaming (or PC-anything) 101. Come on Valve, it's not that hard, and it's really screwing people over who want to use SSDs or have run out of space on their current HDD, and need to buy a new HDD...

What a P.I.A.
filmguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #295
Exploder

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Builder View Post

Word.

It's very easy to waste tons of bandwith because of this.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #296
arleas

You know, even if valve just made an easy user interface for the mklink command, it'd be something. That would allow the "workaround" (which isn't hard to do if you can follow simple directions anyway) to be used by people who are uncomfortable with simple directions.

The only reason why I can see they wouldn't do this is because almost 15% of their users are still on XP. Still, almost 54% are on windows 7 64bit, so that's an easy majority served with one little user interface added to the steam client.
arleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #297
Agret

Junction.exe from sysinternals does the same thing and works on xp.
Junctions are an ntfs feature not a windows 7 feature.
Agret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #298
lridium

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleas View Post
You know, even if valve just made an easy user interface for the mklink command, it'd be something. That would allow the "workaround" (which isn't hard to do if you can follow simple directions anyway) to be used by people who are uncomfortable with simple directions.
You get into a dangerous situation with this, though. How much power do you want a single gaming application to have? I think when you start hooking filesystem management into it you may be reaching beyond your boundaries. Sure, I agree it would be a nice-to-have for colossal Steam directories, but this would need to be a carefully crafted workaround lest it overstep the bounds of a reasonable program, IMO.
lridium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #299
`Orum

Going to bump this. Three years later and we are still asking for a basic feature.
`Orum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #300
Exploder

Quote:
Originally Posted by `Orum View Post
Going to bump this. Three years later and we are still asking for a basic feature.
It's very strange indeed. This silent treatment is beyond annoying.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas