Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sanctum

Old 05-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Tubsiwub

Game Crashes after Intro Animation

I load it up, it plays a little video, then I get the windows error message telling me the game stopped working

Windows 7, 64 bit.

The computer is completely up-to-date with drivers and it can totally handle this game. Top end machine here. What's up with the crashing then?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
nared

Unhappy Game Crashes After Coffee Stain, Tried everything in forum archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubsiwub View Post
I load it up, it plays a little video, then I get the windows error message telling me the game stopped working

Windows 7, 64 bit.

The computer is completely up-to-date with drivers and it can totally handle this game. Top end machine here. What's up with the crashing then?
I have been at this for a while too. its a couple years late and it seems like they haven't fixed it yet.

I've validated the cache files, i've tried xp mode, i've tried compatability mode in xp-sp3, i've tried setting the bInitializeShadersOnDemand=False -> TRUE in ~\sanctum\sanctumgame\config\sanctumengine.ini, and none of it is working. i would really like a reply to this soon as i haven't yet played this game that i purchased!

My DxDiag is http://pastebin.com/HKcY0PQ5

My Sanctum Launch Log is http://pastebin.com/LxzhigSF

Please help.

Sincerely, Jared.
nared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
ninja_of_techno

@nared If your problem is actually the same as mine, then validating cache files and all that won't work. I have discovered (after a few hours of digging around) that Sanctum seems to be conflicting with X3Watch (an online accountability/filtering program). The file that wasn't found in your launch log (last line of the log) is, as far as I can tell, an X3Watch specific file (though, not being an expert, it is still possible that there are other programs that use the same file name).

I had been playing Sanctum without issue for a while, then I didn't play it for about 3 months. In that time I installed X3Watch and that seems to have been the cause of my issue at least. I have the whole thing documented and passed onto the Sanctum dev team on the official Sanctum forum, I just thought I would share my findings with the broader Steam community.

I am not saying X3Watch is the cause of all the crash on startup issues, but if you have it installed it is a likely suspect.

Here is a link to my post on the Sanctum forums for those that care: http://www.sanctumgame.com/forums/vi...ae473547182b95
ninja_of_techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
Tubsiwub

So it's hopeless to fix this? I bought it. It should be playable.
Tubsiwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
ninja_of_techno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubsiwub View Post
So it's hopeless to fix this? I bought it. It should be playable.
I never said it was a hopeless fix. Also I don't know anything about your system as you haven't posted any specs other than your OS. In my case at least, uninstalling X3Watch remedied the situation (though it defeats the purpose of X3Watch, which will be reinstalled in the near future). As I also noted, I am not an expert. Everything I have already posted is based on what I have found to be the case, but may not be entirely accurate.

I am with you on the "It should be playable", but at the same time consider how many people run Windows, how many companies make PCs, how many different programs there are and how many different configurations there are. You are going to run into stuff like this sooner or later, hopefully though they will continue to fix as many issues as possible. The first part of that though is giving the developers the information they need to reproduce the errors we encounter as well as the crash logs so they can see what happened and what went wrong (and it can help them reproduce them too).
ninja_of_techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:58 AM   #6
DanielLundwall

Coffee Stain Studios
Thanks for replying ninja_of_techno,

you are totally correct. There simply too many combination of software and hardware for us to be able to test it all. This is the first time I hear about X3Watch. We're looking in to it to see if can find a simple solution. In the mean time if you wan't to play you will have to uninstall it or speak with the developers of X3Watch to make it compatible with Sanctum.
DanielLundwall is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sanctum