Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 05-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
SINTORMAN

Can steam actually install games correctly?

I was recently having problems with my Fallout GOTY edition. I was unable to even launch the program after the launcher. Simply nothing came up when I tried to hit play. Keep in mind I had done nothing to my install which was previously working fine. I decided to re-install since I decided I was going to play through it again and my old save files didn't matter. Well after a fresh install still nothing. After researching a little bit I figured trying to install the latest patch from the fallout website might do it. I tried to run it and first I was missing xlive.dll. I researched and found it. Then I tried to run the patcher again and I was missing msidcrl40.dll. I retrieved that and finally my game was patched and it would launch.

All I ask is that when you (steam) release a game that you actually have it include all the necessary files and be bug free. I wonder how many other games aren't functioning properly for these reasons.

Also on a sidenote when you decide to partner with a company like microsoft for a windows live game please make sure the game will actually run. I wasted I think 40 dollars on a worthless copy of Bioshock 2 because it will not run period without crashing on my computer because of GFWL. But that is another topic altogether.

So please all I ask is that I get what I pay for. A fully working game that I just have to install to play. If you can't figure this out I will go back to my ps3 despite inferior graphics.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:06 AM   #2
TeKraken

Steam don't partner with GFWL.
For Bioshock2 you'd need to contact 2k games.
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
stevethepocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINTORMAN View Post
Also on a sidenote when you decide to partner with a company like microsoft for a windows live game please make sure the game will actually run. I wasted I think 40 dollars on a worthless copy of Bioshock 2 because it will not run period without crashing on my computer because of GFWL. But that is another topic altogether.
I think that is their new policy. That's why Origin games are banned from Steam; they made it their new rule that games can't use third party update services.
stevethepocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
h0rnytoad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINTORMAN View Post
I was recently having problems with my Fallout GOTY edition. I was unable to even launch the program after the launcher. Simply nothing came up when I tried to hit play. Keep in mind I had done nothing to my install which was previously working fine. I decided to re-install since I decided I was going to play through it again and my old save files didn't matter. Well after a fresh install still nothing. After researching a little bit I figured trying to install the latest patch from the fallout website might do it. I tried to run it and first I was missing xlive.dll. I researched and found it. Then I tried to run the patcher again and I was missing msidcrl40.dll. I retrieved that and finally my game was patched and it would launch.

All I ask is that when you (steam) release a game that you actually have it include all the necessary files and be bug free. I wonder how many other games aren't functioning properly for these reasons.

So please all I ask is that I get what I pay for. A fully working game that I just have to install to play. If you can't figure this out I will go back to my ps3 despite inferior graphics.
bioshock 2 came out 2 years ago, if they'd have had this much trouble it would be known by now.

i have a couple GFWL on steam and i don't have a problem.

might be your system, did u check the specs?
h0rnytoad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas