Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sniper Elite series > Sniper Elite V2

Old 05-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #16
neema_t

This didn't work for me either, I'm sure it's a corrupt .exe on Steam's download server or something, I had the same trouble with Saints Row 3 where one file (the launcher .exe) wouldn't verify and kept downloading. I waited a while and finally managed to verify it and it stayed verified, and the game worked. I think patience is all that will fix this particular issue, so I suppose I have to play something else for now... Hitman: Blood Money has been a good substitute so far.
neema_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:26 AM   #17
reddevilal

Hey neema_t did verifying your game cache file twice in a row fix the crashing problem for you ??
reddevilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:10 AM   #18
Bad_Motha

Banned
@ neema_t

I see you have a pre-OverClocked GPU, please look at what I posted below. While it's for Mafia2, the same pretty much applies to SEV2 as well.

>>> http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...79&postcount=3
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #19
neema_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilal View Post
Hey neema_t did verifying your game cache file twice in a row fix the crashing problem for you ??
Nope, it just appears to suggest (to my mind at least) that there's a corrupt file on Steam's download servers. The support chap apparently agreed, when I get home I can post the email I sent and the reply I received, it might help someone maybe.

Also I haven't tried underclocking my card as no game has ever had a problem with it, including Mafia 2 (for the 5 minutes that I've played it so far). I'll give it a go when I get home, thanks for the tip!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #20
reddevilal

Quote:
Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
Nope, it just appears to suggest (to my mind at least) that there's a corrupt file on Steam's download servers. The support chap apparently agreed, when I get home I can post the email I sent and the reply I received, it might help someone maybe.

Also I haven't tried underclocking my card as no game has ever had a problem with it, including Mafia 2 (for the 5 minutes that I've played it so far). I'll give it a go when I get home, thanks for the tip!
Ive been having a look around some other forums, and on one of them a tech guy from Rebellion has said there is going to be a patch released this week that will hopefully cure a lot of peoples problems, how true this is, is anyones guess.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #21
Bad_Motha

Banned
Quote:
Ive been having a look around some other forums, and on one of them a tech guy from Rebellion has said there is going to be a patch released this week that will hopefully cure a lot of peoples problems, how true this is, is anyones guess.
That's nice. Hope they stick to their timeline for patch. I just hope that whatever they're able to fix with it that it doesn't go and break something else. As we've seen with many other games, it's all too common. We're lucky to get patches/extra maps at all. Hopefully once a patch (or more) releases, we can fully enjoy this better and all play and have fun. While waiting for whatever maps and/or DLCs come our way.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #22
reddevilal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Motha View Post
That's nice. Hope they stick to their timeline for patch. I just hope that whatever they're able to fix with it that it doesn't go and break something else. As we've seen with many other games, it's all too common. We're lucky to get patches/extra maps at all. Hopefully once a patch (or more) releases, we can fully enjoy this better and all play and have fun. While waiting for whatever maps and/or DLCs come our way.
Here Here, gamers have been used as unpaid testers for a long time now, I dont mind so much, but when you buy a brand new game you expect to be able to play it right out of the box.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #23
neema_t

Quote:
Here Here, gamers have been used as unpaid testers for a long time now, I dont mind so much, but when you buy a brand new game you expect to be able to play it right out of the box.
We're not unpaid testers, in fact we're quite the opposite... We're essentially volunteering to pay to test these games, and frankly it's disgusting. If I bought a pair of shoes for £60 but found out after buying them that I had to finish off making them before I could wear them, I'd be furious and entitled to some compensation. Not so with games, we just get shafted every time. As I've said in another thread, THIS is why the games industry is ailing, not because of piracy or used game sales. In fact I'd say this sort of thing is what fuels piracy and used game sales as well as jarateing off legitimate customers (don't get me started on DRM). Can't sell the game on, have to fight for a refund... I wonder why I bother sometimes! Oh yeah, because I get to shoot nasty people in the head for points.

Well, will soon. Hopefully.

Quote:
I just hope that whatever they're able to fix with it that it doesn't go and break something else. As we've seen with many other games, it's all too common.
You're not a BF3 player by any chance, are you?

Edit: I tried downlocking my 580 to the reference speeds (core, shaders and memory) and it still crashed. I'm not going to try any more and just wait for this patch.

Last edited by neema_t: 05-08-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:41 AM   #24
reddevilal

Quote:
This didn't work for me either, I'm sure it's a corrupt .exe on Steam's download server or something, I had the same trouble with Saints Row 3 where one file (the launcher .exe) wouldn't verify and kept downloading. I waited a while and finally managed to verify it and it stayed verified, and the game worked. I think patience is all that will fix this particular issue, so I suppose I have to play something else for now... Hitman: Blood Money has been a good substitute so far.
This game is really yanking my chain now !!! I tried verifying my game cache, and it came up with a 6.4mb file which said game cache verified, game ready to play, so I came out of steam, and verified it again, bingo the game played, I could shoot anything that moved, however !! when I shot at the bottles the bullet sailed towards it and right before impact ?? you guessed it,freeze up,retraced the above steps, and the game worked fine,I went through 4 levels,no problem, exited the game to go to bed,got up this morning tried the same moves again,now the game freezes when I walk towards somebody, cannot get it to work, WTF is going on ??
Old 05-09-2012, 03:59 AM   #25
neema_t

Yeah, that's exactly my problem, I managed to get it to work for about 4 hours but it crashed when I shot some wine, managed to work around that... Restarted the computer, and now it crashes every time I get a kill or get killed. I didn't get a reply to my last email to the support guys so I'm just going to wait for the patch and try emailing again. In the meantime I'm trying the fix I used before, with no success so far, but you never know.

Edit: Support emailed me back today, they have essentially said that the problem is a symptom of something they're patching so hopefully (these things are never definite) the patch will fix this problem. So now all there is to do is sit and wait. Well, that's not true, I have plenty of other things to be getting on with! Then if the patch doesn't fix it I guess I'll get back to the support guy(s).

Last edited by neema_t: 05-09-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #26
reddevilal

Quote:
Yeah, that's exactly my problem, I managed to get it to work for about 4 hours but it crashed when I shot some wine, managed to work around that... Restarted the computer, and now it crashes every time I get a kill or get killed. I didn't get a reply to my last email to the support guys so I'm just going to wait for the patch and try emailing again. In the meantime I'm trying the fix I used before, with no success so far, but you never know.

Edit: Support emailed me back today, they have essentially said that the problem is a symptom of something they're patching so hopefully (these things are never definite) the patch will fix this problem. So now all there is to do is sit and wait. Well, that's not true, I have plenty of other things to be getting on with! Then if the patch doesn't fix it I guess I'll get back to the support guy(s).
Ive tried everything that I did before to get the game working again, but it just crashes as soon as I walk half a dozen paces, Ive had an email off the tech guys today,and they say the patch is being released on Friday, I guess we will just have to wait and see !!!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #27
Bad_Motha

Banned
If the game works for while, then crashes, see what your CPU/GPU temps are while in-game. I use Afterburner for that also as it has OSD features for FPS, GPU Temp, etc.

If GPU getting too hot that might be why you're crashing.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #28
Salith

What worked for me was setting these compatibilities;
Win XP SP3
Disable Desktop Composition
Disable Display Scaling on High DPS Setting

And then disable the Steam Overlay.

This is on Windows 7 Pro 32bit
Salith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #29
neema_t

Ok, I'm going to try that, Salith, then I really am done until the patch comes out. Thanks for the tip, I'll be back to report my findings as usual.

Edit: Nope, still doesn't work for me, but thanks for trying to help!

Last edited by neema_t: 05-09-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:06 AM   #30
reddevilal

Quote:
If the game works for while, then crashes, see what your CPU/GPU temps are while in-game. I use Afterburner for that also as it has OSD features for FPS, GPU Temp, etc.

If GPU getting too hot that might be why you're crashing.
When I said crashes, I meant it freezes up,this is defo a problem with the game verification files, affecting the sev2.exe file.hopefully the patch on friday will address the problem,I dont have any problem at all with overheating, i keep an eye on my core temps on a regular basis.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sniper Elite series > Sniper Elite V2