Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #8251
rsm650
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneChowdery View Post
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

ASUS ENGTX560Ti448DC2/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS 24X DVD Burner Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS

ASUS PCE-N15 PCI Express 300/300Mbps Transfer/Receive Rate Wireless Adapter
8.4/10

I see absolutely nothing wrong with your computer, although you could add an SSD for your OS and other programs. That graphics card is not the best, but it definitely surpasses mid-range. I would like to know if you are using the stock CPU heatsink or not. Can't comment on the adapter.

Mine:

Intel Core i5-3570K
Zalman CNPS20LQ Liquid CPU Cooler
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Core 448 Ultra
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600
ADATA XPG SX900 128GB SATA III SSD
WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA6 64MB Cache HDD
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
LG 24X DVD Burner
Windows 7 Home 64-bit

Last edited by rsm650: 05-07-2012 at 12:48 PM.
rsm650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #8252
Finmeister
 
Join Date: May 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 40
Thumbs up My New Setup - What do you think.

I built a new computer at the weekend to replace my 4 year old system.

Old System:
Asus Maximus Extreme
Q6600 o/c 3.4ghz
AMD HD 6850 GPU o/c 850/1150
4gb memory
150gb Western Digital Raptor
Samsung 244t 24" monitor
Antec 900
Cooler Master 850w power supply
1.5 terabytes of HD storage (Samsung spin point)
Logitech wireless mouse and Logitech solar keyboard

New System:
MSI Z77a-GD65
i5 3570k o/c 4.5ghz
AMD HD 6850 o/c 850/1150
16gb memory in XMP profile
Corsair H100 cooler
Crucial M4 128gb SSD
Samsung 244t 24" monitor
Cooler Master CM 690II Special Edition
Cooler Master 850w power supply
1.5 terabytes of HD storage (Samsung spin point)
Logitech wireless mouse and Logitech solar keyboard

So what does everyone think.
I did it so that I could play Crysis 2 with the HD DX11 texture pack and play Skyrim on a higher settings and have some really nice mods to make it look awesome. Plus I felt it was a bit old and needed some improvement for the future.
Really happy with the price. Paid about £560 for the upgraded parts.
Also the overclock on the 3570k isn't as troublesome as some reviewers are making out. Very simple and not getting the extra heat that is reported. As long as you don't increase the VCore too much then the temp stays in a good range.
Overall I am well pleased.

Last edited by Finmeister: 05-07-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Forgot to add memory - doh !!
Finmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #8253
Alshain
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Reputation: 737
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finmeister View Post
New System:
MSI Z77a-GD65
i5 3570k o/c 4.5ghz
AMD HD 6850 o/c 850/1150
16gb memory in XMP profile
Corsair H100 cooler
Crucial M4 128gb SSD
Samsung 244t 24" monitor
Cooler Master CM 690II Special Edition
Cooler Master 850w power supply
1.5 terabytes of HD storage (Samsung spin point)
Logitech wireless mouse and Logitech solar keyboard
Still adjusting my rating system for the 7xxx and 6xx video cards and Ivy Bridge, but I'm going to go with 8.5/10.

Well after a 3 month upgrade process, my computer is finally complete so I guess I'll post it here. It's nothing spectacular, pretty much a carbon copy of many posts here.

-What's in the Box-
Case: Coolermaster HAF 922
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster 212 EVO
Memory: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X PC-1600 8-8-8-24
PSU: Corsair TX550M
Video: EVGA 560 Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra
TV: Hauppage WinTV 2250
Wifi: ASUS 802.11n
HDD: WD Caviar Black (SATA2 version) 1TB
SDD: Crucial M4 64GB
Optical: Samsung DVD/CD

-Other-
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P 24" LED
Keyboard: Generic
Keyboard: Belkin n52te
Mouse: Logitech MX518
Speakers: Logitech 5.1 (old, X-530 I think)
Gamepad: Genuine XBox 360 for Windows

Last edited by Alshain: 05-08-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #8254
marcw1771ams
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 1
Go on then guys rate my PC.

Asus Sabertooth P67
i5-2500k oc'd @ 4.6gh cooled by Corsair H100
16gb Gskillz Ripjaw Z @ 2133 mhz
GTX 480 oc'd @ 850 Mhz With third party cooler
120 gb SATA 6gb/s OCZ SSD
2 x 1tb HDD
marcw1771ams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #8255
Sandoooooo
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 22
Posts: 274
Talking Review my laptop!

Hello,

I have a gaming Asus G73JH-X1 laptop. I want you to write a review for the processor, graphic card, and the whole laptop.


Here are the specifications:




Processor: Intel Core i7-720QM (Quad Core) (1.60 GHz up to 2.60 GHz with TurboBoost)


RAM:
8 GB


Graphic Card: ATi Mobility Radeon 5870 (1 GB DDR5)


Hard Disc Capacity: 500 GB


Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Premium (64-bit)


Screen Size: 17.3 Inch (1080p)


DirectX: 11


I'm okay with running the incoming games with medium settings. I just want to play games smoothly without any lag
Sandoooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #8256
Zodiark1593
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 362
Posts: 913
Not too bad, processor is clocked somewhat lower than would be ideal, but it shouldn't bottleneck properly threaded games. Despite being slightly dated, it is still a good cpu even for today's uses.

The single hard drive seems to be kinda meh. If possible, upgrade to a SSD, or have both a SSD and a HDD, with your OS partition on the SSD.

The video card is probably looking a little long in the tooth compared to current video cards, but is still a very capable and powerful video card.

You should be fine for another 2-3 years with this system, noting that demanding games years down the road will likely need to run at lower settings, but I doubt there would be a jump that would suddenly render your video card completely obsolete.

I'll score this a 7.8/10.
Zodiark1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #8257
Sandoooooo
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 22
Posts: 274
Is that Intel Core i7-720QM processor first generation or second generation?
Sandoooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #8258
Alshain
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Reputation: 737
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandoooooo View Post
Is that Intel Core i7-720QM processor first generation or second generation?
Second, it's a sandy bridge mobile.

EDIT: Oops, sorry thought that said 2720QM. 720QM is a first gen Clarksfield.

Last edited by Alshain: 05-08-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #8259
Senones
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 6
Posts: 77
Specs:
i5-2500K at stock speeds. For the minute.
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
Gigabyte Z68XP UD3P
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz
Antec Truepower 650W Semi-Modular PSU
500GB Seagate Barracuda HDD
64GB Crucial M4 SSD
Windows 7 Home Premium
MSI Twin Frozr II 560ti

Peripherals:
Razer Deathadder
Microsoft Sidewinder X6
2 Coolermaster 120mm fans at Back/Top of case
1 Coolermaster Blue LED Megaflow 200mm fan at front of case
HAF912+
Corsair HS1 Gaming Headset
Logitech S140(s) Speakers
Senones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #8260
Deltasniper
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Reputation: 1
Posts: 211
Not bad 8.5

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.4 ghz
Mobo:GA-Z77X-UD3H
Graphics: Crossfire 2 x 6870
Ram:16 GB 2x8 GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600
Cooler: CM 212 Evo
Case: Antec p280
PSU: SeaSonic S12II 620 Modular
Drives:
Intel 520 128 GB SSD
2 x 1 TB WD Caviar Blacks
2 TB WD Green
Deltasniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #8261
fred0000
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 3
Posts: 23
high 9 IMO, SSD and crossfire pretty awesome.

mine

CPU: AMD FX-4100 quad core 3.6ghz
Mobo: Asus M5A97
Graphics: Asus 7770 1gb DDR5
Ram: 16 GB 2x8 GB Patriot DDR3 1333MHz
Cooler: RocketFish heatpipe cooler
Case: CoolerMaster Elite 335
Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 6Gbps 3.5IN
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:23 AM   #8262
lawlorz
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Reputation: 11
Posts: 75
I'd rate fred0000 as a 8. I cannot agree with the use of AMD for cpu or graphics, nor the seagate drive. That said, it will more than get the job done.

I don't expect a huge score, as this computer was built in 2009 and has only had minor upgrades since, but it still plays everything max.

i7 920 (stock 2.66ghz) OC to 3.6ghz (any higher and im not keen on the temps for 24/7 use) with Noctua NH-D14 cooler
6GB Apogee DDR3 Triple Channel RAM stock
Gigabyte EX-58-Extreme X58 mobo
Gigabyte GTX580 1.5gb
2x 2TB WD Caviar Black drives
1x 60GB Corsair Force SSD
1x 150GB WD Velociraptor
Antec Earthwatts 750w PSU
Creative X-FI Titanium HD soundcard coupled with Logitech Z4 speakers + Alessandro MS-Pro headphones
24' AOC ty cheaparse monitor
lawlorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:55 AM   #8263
HL2-4-Life
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Reputation: 953
Posts: 7,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawlorz View Post
I'd rate fred0000 as a 8. I cannot agree with the use of AMD for cpu or graphics, nor the seagate drive. That said, it will more than get the job done.

I don't expect a huge score, as this computer was built in 2009 and has only had minor upgrades since, but it still plays everything max.

i7 920 (stock 2.66ghz) OC to 3.6ghz (any higher and im not keen on the temps for 24/7 use) with Noctua NH-D14 cooler
6GB Apogee DDR3 Triple Channel RAM stock
Gigabyte EX-58-Extreme X58 mobo
Gigabyte GTX580 1.5gb
2x 2TB WD Caviar Black drives
1x 60GB Corsair Force SSD
1x 150GB WD Velociraptor
Antec Earthwatts 750w PSU
Creative X-FI Titanium HD soundcard coupled with Logitech Z4 speakers + Alessandro MS-Pro headphones
24' AOC ty cheaparse monitor
For the part in red alone, you'd get a big fat '0' from me.....
HL2-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:59 AM   #8264
HL2-4-Life
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Reputation: 953
Posts: 7,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senones View Post
Specs:
i5-2500K at stock speeds. For the minute.
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
Gigabyte Z68XP UD3P
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz
Antec Truepower 650W Semi-Modular PSU
500GB Seagate Barracuda HDD
64GB Crucial M4 SSD
Windows 7 Home Premium
MSI Twin Frozr II 560ti

Peripherals:
Razer Deathadder
Microsoft Sidewinder X6
2 Coolermaster 120mm fans at Back/Top of case
1 Coolermaster Blue LED Megaflow 200mm fan at front of case
HAF912+
Corsair HS1 Gaming Headset
Logitech S140(s) Speakers
Mid range CPU + mid range GPU, decent enough mobo = solid 8.0 from me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltasniper
Not bad 8.5

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.4 ghz
Mobo:GA-Z77X-UD3H
Graphics: Crossfire 2 x 6870
Ram:16 GB 2x8 GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600
Cooler: CM 212 Evo
Case: Antec p280
PSU: SeaSonic S12II 620 Modular
Drives:
Intel 520 128 GB SSD
2 x 1 TB WD Caviar Blacks
2 TB WD Green
Disagree with fred0000, it's a great rig, but definitely not in the high 9 range.....this get an 8.6 from me.
HL2-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #8265
rsm650
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm650 View Post
Intel Core i5-3570K
Zalman CNPS20LQ Liquid CPU Cooler
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Core 448 Ultra
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600
ADATA XPG SX900 128GB SATA III SSD
WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA6 64MB Cache HDD
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
LG 24X DVD Burner
Windows 7 Home 64-bit
Don't skip over me
rsm650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.