Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 05-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #16
Krem

I am getting a similar error but re-downloading vbsp.exe did not work for me. My console says the following every time I try to build a testchamber:

VVIS failed.

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Apr 30 2012)2 threadsreading d:\games\steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\sdk_content\maps\preview.bspreading d:\games\steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\sdk_content\maps\preview.prtLoadPortals: couldn't read d:\games\steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\sdk_content\maps\preview.prt

I don't have the "preview.prt" file it's talking about anywhere in my sdk_content folder. Deleting and re-downloading the sdk_content folder itself didn't make any such file appear, either. I do not have the authoring tools installed. Any idea what's up?
Krem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #17
Zorlac

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by iestyn View Post
Hi,

It looks like you have the old version of vbsp.exe (not the one that came with the puzzle editor update). Do you have the 'Portal 2 Authoring Tools' installed by any chance?

If so, it's possible they may be interfering (i.e the game is seeing the version of vbsp.exe from the authoring tools), so you could try verifying your Portal 2 cache (optionally uninstalling the authoring tools first).

Thanks!

iestyn
Trying validating now after uninstalling the authoring tools. As a note though my game would NOT launch without them installed after the update.
Zorlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
Imalia

Didn't work for me, i'm still getting errors. :x But I never had authoring tools.
Imalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #19
D3ATH4444

Quote:
Ok, we believe the problem is that the vbsp.exe from the Authoring Tools is overwriting the one from the Portal 2 update.

As a quick fix, please try this and let me know if it works:
- delete vbsp.exe from your "<Steam>\steamapps\common\portal 2\bin" folder
- verify your Portal 2 game cache (it should download the right version of vbsp.exe)
- try building your test chamber again

Thanks!

iestyn
This didnt work for me. When I click "rebuild" the loading icon fills all the way then just sits there. I've tryed everything and it doesnt work.
D3ATH4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #20
Zorlac

Uninstalling the authoring tools, then validating my game did the trick. I managed to get a map up and published.
Zorlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:20 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #21
jweier

Valve
Exclamation

We've rolled out an update for the Portal 2 Authoring Tools that fixes an issue that was causing it to interact poorly with the PeTI update.

Please verify your local files for Portal 2 and try again.
jweier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #22
Krem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krem View Post
I am getting a similar error but re-downloading vbsp.exe did not work for me. My console says the following every time I try to build a testchamber:

VVIS failed.

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Apr 30 2012)2 threadsreading d:\games\steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\sdk_content\maps\preview.bspreading d:\games\steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\sdk_content\maps\preview.prtLoadPortals: couldn't read d:\games\steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\sdk_content\maps\preview.prt

I don't have the "preview.prt" file it's talking about anywhere in my sdk_content folder. Deleting and re-downloading the sdk_content folder itself didn't make any such file appear, either. I do not have the authoring tools installed. Any idea what's up?
still getting this error !
Krem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #23
jaxe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweier View Post
We've rolled out an update for the Portal 2 Authoring Tools that fixes an issue that was causing it to interact poorly with the PeTI update.

Please verify your local files for Portal 2 and try again.
Verifying Portal 2 fixes the in-game editor not building but the authoring tools themselves are still broken. Hammer still crashes on start-up.
jaxe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:33 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #24
jweier

Valve
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxe42 View Post
Verifying Portal 2 fixes the in-game editor not building but the authoring tools themselves are still broken. Hammer still crashes on start-up.
That is a separate issue that we're looking at right now. We'll hopefully have an update soon.
jweier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #25
D3ATH4444

The in-game editor is still messed up for me. It still gets stuck on the "rebuilding" loading screen. I dont even have the authoring tools installed.
D3ATH4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #26
jaxe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweier View Post
That is a separate issue that we're looking at right now. We'll hopefully have an update soon.
Great, thanks!
jaxe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #27
Cowbane

Hey, yeah, I'm just getting a crash to desktop when I click rebuild, any advice? Tried deleting the vpbs and verifying cash, but not working. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Cowbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #28
peteypiranha128

Quote:
Ok, we believe the problem is that the vbsp.exe from the Authoring Tools is overwriting the one from the Portal 2 update.

As a quick fix, please try this and let me know if it works:
- delete vbsp.exe from your "<Steam>\steamapps\common\portal 2\bin" folder
- verify your Portal 2 game cache (it should download the right version of vbsp.exe)
- try building your test chamber again

Thanks!

iestyn
We really appreciate the help

Unfortunately, even after doing that, I'm still having an error building my test chamber.

It was working fine up until a certain point. I'm wondering if I added something that made it unable to function...

I'm going through my chamber now deleting things and trying to see if I can get it to work at all.
If I manage to get it to work, I'll tell you what I deleted.

EDIT:
Now THIS is weird...
If I close and then re-open my test chamber, and then simply press "switch to game view" instead of "build and play", it loads.
However, there is no lighting, the gels do not display, and the goo is invisible causing screen doubling...

Last edited by peteypiranha128: 05-08-2012 at 03:54 PM.
peteypiranha128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #29
schrodingergeek

I'm getting the same error, i have the authoring tools, but i can't find vbsp.exe?

I validating the files anyway to see if that works.

EDIT - It worked. It downloaded 6 new files, and seems to be working now.

Last edited by schrodingergeek: 05-08-2012 at 04:03 PM.
schrodingergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #30
QWERTY

I validated cache files, vpbs.exe re-downloaded and I have Build error after 3 bars
QWERTY is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2