Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > DiRT series

Old 05-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
OmegaRed60

Why won't my car turn in Dirt Showdown?

I'm using a pad and the left stick works fine in all menus. All the controls work fine, but only when it comes to steering left and right nothing happens.

I know the left stick is detected since I can move the options screen around with it and when setting the stick for steering in options, it selects it.

Anybody else have this problem? Using 360 pad.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
raupi

No issues with my Xbox 360 controller under Win7 x64.
raupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
OmegaRed60

I'm under Win7 x64 also. Is there anything that would turn off analog stick control in this game just for steering?

I don't understand why the stick works on the menu screens, but not during a race. I see that it has a ton of wheel sensitivity options in the menu that I'm not touching. Would any of these possibly effect my stick?
OmegaRed60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
raupi

Anything could be the reason to this, as this is a pretty obscure error. You can try playing with the options, it can't get worse. You can verify your game files, it's quick and never does any harm.

As we are speaking of a demo that only contains one race and that is not remarkable in any way, at least in my opinion, you should think about how much trouble it is worth.

I would delete the demo and look for a video of this 5 lap race if i could not get this to run in 15 minutes or less. You can also use your keyboard instead, but you surely have figured out so much for yourself

Edit: Some other sources of trouble (in general) are: Drivers that are not up to date, defective hardware, interfering software (mostly chat, anti-virus or screen-capture), port forwarding and firewall, compatibility mode or admin rights or too low system specifications.

I don't know why anything of that would apply to your situation, but maybe i'm overlooking something.

Last edited by raupi: 05-04-2012 at 02:39 AM.
raupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
Spykirby

have had this in dirt2 and dirt3 and culdn't find a fix and wasn't bothered enough to look any farther as i did.
Spykirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
OmegaRed60

Yeah, I tried everything and this has to be the most obscure bug I've ever seen.

The entire game runs like butter and there's only this one problem making the car wheels turn. Mouse+Keyboard works fine, but I really can't play and enjoy a racing game that way. I decided to mess around with the wheel options and that resulted in nothing.

Thanks for all the help, but I guess I'll just delete this and keep playing Ridge Racer for my arcade racer fix.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:19 AM   #7
v3n

Does the d-pad on the controller work for steering?
v3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
KazzyMac

Have you tried manually calibrating the controller in-game (as in going into the control settings and checking the game actually has the steering assigned to the right axis?

If you're using an xbox 360 controller then this is a bizarre bug since the only problem I have with the game is my graphics card being old. If it's non-Microsoft then... well, check the above. Check that something like the right analog stick isn't steering the car and check any other buttons on the pad aren't either. Also make sure the pad's being recognised in the windows control panel properly (it could be possible if for whatever reason you've modified the registry for the pad it might have thrown the game off)

Otherwise I too am at a loss.

Though it seems you've uninstalled it anyway. :l
KazzyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:25 AM   #9
OmegaRed60

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3n View Post
Does the d-pad on the controller work for steering?
Nope. The D-pad even when manually configured for steering won't work. I tried every button and all of them won't work for steering, but will work for everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazzyMac View Post
Have you tried manually calibrating the controller in-game (as in going into the control settings and checking the game actually has the steering assigned to the right axis?
Yup.

Quote:
If you're using an xbox 360 controller then this is a bizarre bug since the only problem I have with the game is my graphics card being old. If it's non-Microsoft then... well, check the above. Check that something like the right analog stick isn't steering the car and check any other buttons on the pad aren't either. Also make sure the pad's being recognised in the windows control panel properly (it could be possible if for whatever reason you've modified the registry for the pad it might have thrown the game off)
I'm using a NYKO Airflo with 360ce. The right stick isn't steering the car either. The bug is just unique to the wheels on the car not responding at all to anything. Even when I change the buttons to something weird like LB or RB for steering it just won't steer. On any other screen in this game the analog works perfect. I can move the screen around with the stick, but the car has no reaction to it.

Quote:
Otherwise I too am at a loss.

Though it seems you've uninstalled it anyway. :l
Thanks for trying to help. I tried it with the keyboard and thought it was an ok game, but not really worth my investment. The bug is just so odd I can't stop trying to think about what would fix it.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:50 AM   #10
KazzyMac

Another one of those subtle "Buy a Microsoft product" hints then, I guess. -_-'

Oh well. I guess Codemasters and/or Steam shot themselves in the foot on this one.
KazzyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > DiRT series