Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Old 04-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
Dr.Boo.j2

On the same home network

So I have my internet connection and my Steam account.
My younger half-brother also has his own Steam account, obviously he's not using mine, but he's on the same home network. So basically, he has the same IP address.

I know that he often.... behaves badly online. I already told him not to, but who am I to educate him? Lets say that one day, he gets banned for bad behaviour on his Steam account. Is there a chance I'll get in trouble because I'm on the same IP, even if I have my own Steam account he has no access to?

Might be a stupid question, but I want to be sure that by denying my Steam access to anyone else, I'm safe.
He doesn't use hacks, but he has no access to my PC neither so even if he did use hacks, he would not be able to install any on my machine.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
DIENER

VAC ban by SteamID not IP.
Server admins also ban by SteamID but they can ban by IP if they feel like it.
DIENER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Satoru

VAC bans by steamID

However server admins on games that have such things, may decide to ban you by IP. Though most server admins don't bother as this is generally ineffective to keep abusive users out.

A stupid half brother I would be more concerned about him getting on YOUR account and doing stuff. I highly advise you to

1) Enable SteamGuard
2) Enable password screen saver, set the timer to 1 minute
3) Disable autologin on Steam
4) Disable saving of passwords
5) Disable autologin on Windows

It would appear its only a matter of time before he gets VAC banned on everything under the sun, and looks to your account for a way to keep playing.

Last edited by Satoru: 04-30-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
masterchef341

definitely keep your account information secure, you'll be fine
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
sh4d0wr3c0n

also a admin on a server can ban a whole range of ip just to get ride of one person. That means if you live in a certain area and someone in that certain area jarate off an admin. Then everyone in that certain area with that certain ip gets banned.
sh4d0wr3c0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
VAC bans by steamID

However server admins on games that have such things, may decide to ban you by IP. Though most server admins don't bother as this is generally ineffective to keep abusive users out.

A stupid half brother I would be more concerned about him getting on YOUR account and doing stuff. I highly advise you to

1) Enable SteamGuard
2) Enable password screen saver, set the timer to 1 minute
3) Disable autologin on Steam
4) Disable saving of passwords
5) Disable autologin on Windows

It would appear its only a matter of time before he gets VAC banned on everything under the sun, and looks to your account for a way to keep playing.
Best adivce he could have.
I'll add one thing to it though.
6) Parent awareness. Make them aware of what he may be doing. Because no password protection will guard you against a direct 'Let your brother play' order from your 'superiors'
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Dr.Boo.j2

Thanks guys. Yeah there is already a pwd on my screensaver.
I should really insist with him that trolling around like he does is not ok and might get him banned.
Dr.Boo.j2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
Kidofthecentury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Boo.j2 View Post
Thanks guys. Yeah there is already a pwd on my screensaver.
I should really insist with him that trolling around like he does is not ok and might get him banned.
Keep in mind also that VAC never bans people for "bad behaviour" anyway, it does only if cheats are detected. So your brother should only fear server bans from admins he jaratees off. And, as people already said, if IP based it will affect you too.

Make sure your bother get it straight -and as Tito wisely said- talk to your parents to keep yourself safe. If he messes up he's on its own.
Kidofthecentury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:47 AM   #9
henk717

As the previous posters have stated your account is safe as long as he does not touch it.
However some games / servers might have an IP banning system build in that will effect your ability to play.
henk717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
originaljavaman

Also I just checked to be sure but since you are both running on the same internet connection you will have the same IP address BUT...the router or modem should assign a 1 number difference for each computer. My wife's computer has the same IP address but her IPv4 address is off by 1 number. Each computer also has a "name" so to speak so sometimes different websites ask for personal information as a guard. My bank website will ask me a series of questions for security each time I log on from a new computer because it recognizes that even though we are on the same IP we are on different computers.
originaljavaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion