Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP

Old 05-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
ZeppMan217

Question The game tells me to take a break

Only one other game ever told me to take a break.
I certainly like S:S&S EP but FOR F***'S SAKE, HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO IMPLEMENT WASD OR ARROWS FOR MOVEMENT CONTROL and some button for the inventory!?
ARGH
Old 05-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
DrZombo

It's a point and click game, hurr durr
DrZombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
ZeppMan217

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZombo View Post
It's a point and click game, hurr durr
Have you ever played other point and click games? Because I did, and not a single one of those games that I played frustrated me to a point that I would go to the forums and start a topic about how wonky and tedious the control scheme is.
ZeppMan217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
Buntfunk

The clicking felt so unresponsive that I haven't touched the game since taking a first look. I will be more careful with touchscreen ports now.
Buntfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
Goroh

I honestly don't know why people complain about the controls. I played the game just fine with mouse and keyboard, the clicks felt responsive and the character would move where i wanted her to. Combat wasn't problematic either. Where does all the hate come from? It feels... fine to me.
Goroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:00 AM   #6
DrZombo

I think people are mad because they don't seem to get the have to double click and hold. Tip tap all the way
DrZombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
fiddler6

CAPY!
Hm, have you read the ReadMe file? It contains some more information on the controls you might find useful.
fiddler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
ZeppMan217

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler6 View Post
Hm, have you read the ReadMe file? It contains some more information on the controls you might find useful.
It contains exactly the same information as the one I acquired by trial and error. Not the point.
Mouse control feels imprecise. You do get used to in after awhile but still, I'd rather have WASD to move around 2D space that blends with impassible terrain.
Oh, and great game. A huge leap from your previous projects, in terms of story and narrating.

Last edited by ZeppMan217: 05-07-2012 at 05:40 PM.
ZeppMan217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
andyofcomixinc

Unfortunately I completely agree. The game is great but navigation is frustrating. The tip-tap with a mouse is certainly nowhere near as flowing and intuitive as it is an iPhone or iPad.

WASD/arrow key character control would go a great deal farther to making the game more immersive. Also, the big finger-sized circle that hovers around the cursor is obviously a carryover from the iOS version. I guess what I'm saying is, as much as this port is functional, it still plays like a direct port, when it should play like a PC version. At the moment it plays like an iOS version with mouse control, which is a lot less fun.

Great game of course, the soundtrack is worth price of admission alone, but the playability is a concern at the moment. It's playable, but is merely functional and with everything else in the game so polished, it is a little... not infuriating, but certainly confusing.
andyofcomixinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
fiddler6

CAPY!
I know it may feel like a port but we spent months agonizing over the PC-specific controls. We tried lots of options to make the game more easily played. It always came back to the feel though. We didn't want to use the keyboard because then you're less inclined to click on things (the basis of the game is clicking on things). Always having your hand on the mouse and clicking around is the best way to get players to try clicking on different things and that's the exploration that we wanted players to experience. So while WASD may be easier for 2D games it won't give the feel we wanted. I hope that puts into perspective our design choice in this case.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
Buntfunk

It is less about wanting WASD for me than the feeling of input lag I get when clicking. I also agree with #9 about the finger-sized cursor. Everytime I click somewhere it displays an effect like a touchscreen has been pressed a bit too hard. It's as though you wanted it to feel like a port ;-)
Buntfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #12
fiddler6

CAPY!
Ah, I can understand that. The lag was necessary to let the mouse have dual functions (dragging the background and allowing you to walk). We wanted the controls as simple as possible while still letting you perform all of the necessary actions. We certainly wanted it to feel like a touchable, interactive game but maybe we made it a bit too "port-y"
Old 05-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
Hoboparty

I dunno, it seems like people are making a fuss over nothing.

When the Gogolithic Mass is after you and you need to get to the next portion of the area, but it's off-screen, then it can be tedious to have to drag the screen and then proceed to double-click. However, WASD can be used to move the camera so it's not much of a problem.

Throughout the game, I felt that I was a separate being who was merely "telling" the Scythian where to go on screen. Which is what was intended in the story anyways.

When Shadow of the Colossus was being developed, I've heard that the developer left the horse controls a bit iffy on purpose because it made the player feel as if they were a rider controlling a horse, rather than playing as the horse itself.

Maybe the developers didn't intend for the player to feel "disconnected" from the Scythian, but it works in favor of the experience, and it's not like this is a shooter or fighting game that requires extremely precise controls.

(Also, the title of this thread has almost nothing to do with the subject...)
Hoboparty is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP