Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #16
ChrisW
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 942
Posts: 3,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzonie View Post
A hammer does not really wear out and does it's job for many many years. Should they make it so it breaks after a few years or create laws so you can be sude if you try to sell it?
Yes, and that hammer is not worth as much. People insist on paying a lot less for the used hammer or they will pay much more for a new hammer.

Yes, games get cheaper after some time, so why not just purchase the cheaper game? Why do you insist on wanting to flood the market with second hand copies? You do know each second hand copy takes away a sale from those cheap copies resulting in less money for the game developers. What you don't realise is if you had your way, most of the existing games would not exist because they would never be developed because the game developers would be working at Burger King instead of a job developing games. I want these games to exist while you are fighting to only benefit yourself at the expense of the developers.
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #17
azzonie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Reputation: 509
Posts: 3,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
Yes, and that hammer is not worth as much. People insist on paying a lot less for the used hammer or they will pay much more for a new hammer.

Yes, games get cheaper after some time, so why not just purchase the cheaper game? Why do you insist on wanting to flood the market with second hand copies? You do know each second hand copy takes away a sale from those cheap copies resulting in less money for the game developers. What you don't realise is if you had your way, most of the existing games would not exist because they would never be developed because the game developers would be working at Burger King instead of a job developing games. I want these games to exist while you are fighting to only benefit yourself at the expense of the developers.
Anybody that is in the manufacturing business would love to make it so their products could be sold only once and then disposed of. I don't know how anyone software company has been able to stay in business then because reselling games has been the staple of many companies to this day yet these new practices will likely put them out of business.

I might agree with you except there has been used game sells for years and somehow EA and Activision are still here. They want to maximize profits in the easiest way they can. Stopping the sell of used games by DRM methods is something that can only be done with software. Thank god our entire manufacturing system has not found a way to marry their products to one person and one person only and then get the government to back them up through lobbying congress with massive amounts of money and lawsuits backed by well funded groups.
azzonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #18
seigen
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 20
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkytaco View Post
Take a quick look at the capitalist operation manual.

You will notice there is no :
Give
Share
Help
Humanity
Fairness
Charity

Only things to make money/
But they have philanthropy, in which the rich gives some money mostly to promote himself/herself even more.
seigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #19
captain_video
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Reputation: 203
Posts: 1,253
There are hundreds of other threads on this topic, the OP should search through the forums and try reading a few.

Used software sales have nothing to do with the OP's issue. When you buy a pack and get giftable copies of any game(s) you already own, the publisher knows it could be losing a sale because the person who ends up with that giftable copy didn't buy his own. Some indie publishers are OK with this, because the advertising value of getting a few extra copies of their game in circulation outweighs the few dollars lost in each sale. The AAA publishers operate on a different scale, and they already spend money on advertising, so (usually) they don't get any additional ad value out of gift copies, they would much rather have the money from each sale.

The publishers aren't required to offer bundles on Steam, and if they were forced to treat the duplicates created by some bundle purchases as giftable copies, they would either take their bundles off the store, or else they would never be on sale at the ridiculous prices we see. You can't have it both ways.

The bundles can be amazing deals for people who are new to gaming, or at least new to Steam, and for others who already own one or two of the games, they can be a small savings over individual game purchases, and the lack of giftable duplicates is a "meh". For anyone who is still bothered by this, you can always take your business to another storefront, such as Gamefly, where they don't have bundles, or gifts, or Steam sales.

As for games not in bundles which you have purchased but never installed: Steam doesn't bother to keep track of how many times, if ever, you have downloaded and installed a game you own. Once it's on your account, it's yours forever. You have the option to make ALL your Steam purchases as gifts, and leave them in your inventory until you want to install and play something. For games purchased and attached to your account before the gifting and trading systems were implemented, you're stuck with it. Support has enough of a backlog as it is without having to deal with hundreds of thousands of tickets all claiming "but I never played this game, on my honor! Please let me trade it." Reality check is in order.
captain_video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #20
NuclearKangaroo
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 722
Posts: 5,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzonie View Post
A CD or DVD is the same as a hard copy. They are making it so the hard copy self destructs after you use it. The fact that you decided to digitaly download instead of going to the store for a hard copy should make no differance. You are simply choosing a deleivery method. If you could download a pizza you might choose that for a delivery method also. Digital works can be delivered over an internet connection but that should not single them out for special treatment.
but it does make a difference, you get the advantage of getting your game relatively easy and fast but the downside is that you are not allowed to give it to someone else if you already used that same piece of software, the problem with software is that it can be easily copies, so you have to make sure this pizza you sold isnt the last one because some smartass decided to copy the pizza code and upload it into torrent and now everyone can have their pizza for free
NuclearKangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #21
Jake Soprano
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzonie View Post
Digital games get old and no one wants to play them at some point so your point is lacking a little.
No one? Tell that to gog.com
They're doing pretty well in selling Good Old Games.
Jake Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:23 AM   #22
Pumpkin_Masher
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 270
Posts: 886
Since trading came out I almost exclusively buy into my inventory. I leave purchases in my inventory until I am ready to play them, that way if I decide to never play a certain game I can gift/trade it away.
Pumpkin_Masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:33 AM   #23
Kidofthecentury
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Reputation: 413
Posts: 3,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Masher View Post
Since trading came out I almost exclusively buy into my inventory. I leave purchases in my inventory until I am ready to play them, that way if I decide to never play a certain game I can gift/trade it away.
I was going to suggest the very same thing... I've a few games that are still in my inventory, and if I get the itch to play them I'll redeem them.
Kidofthecentury is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.