Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Engineer

Old 05-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
bunivasal

What if the Engineer Built...

What if the Engineers Built PDAs for each class? The new class PDA would grant that class a suite of buildings just for them. Obviously, there isn't really room for twenty seven new buildings and even if there were it would be insanely difficult to design, test, and establish them in-game.

However, it would be really cool to see what sort of buildings the various classes would request. Some, presumably, would have gameplay purposes, but maybe others would just be neat devices that the classes would want.

The Challenge:
Design them. The designs for this thread are unconstrained by game rules, balance, or practicality. They should be "personal" items, deployable on the same scale as the Engineer's own equipment. Assume that the technology we see in-game is near the cutting edge for size and cost, and that the Engineer designed and built them, not that the mercenary cobbled them together themselves from spare parts.

Some model ideas:

Scout:
The Home Base
A low, sturdy machine resembling home plate. Periodically the machine emits a phase field. Interesting fact: runs on beverages!

Soldier:
The Recruitment Office
A short radio tower-like device that allows the soldier to get fresh recruits!

Pyro:

Demo:
The Mortar Cannon
It's an Engineer-styled Mortar Cannon.

Heavy:
The Mounted Gun
A heavy gun with gun apron mounted on a stand.

The Fridge
Creates various sandwiches and snacks.

Medic:
Uber Generator
A dispenser-sized construction with some similarities to medigun backpacks. This high-powered construction, although capable of generating ubercharge, was also dangerously explosive and prone to radiation leak. Was eventually abandoned under threat of strike by the Mercenary Local 242. Haha, just kidding, invincibility is too expensive. It's cheaper to just hire new mercs.

Sniper:

Spy:
The Potted Shrub 9000
An invisibility generator cleverly disguised as a potted plant.

"Cool Things" Resources:
Quality Flamethrower Sentry
Shield Generator

Last edited by bunivasal: 05-10-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Craylash

level 2 grenade sentry
Craylash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
slicksps

Scout: Ball shooter
Medic: Health dispenser
Pyro: Fire-Wall (doorway blocking?)
Heavy: Ammo or health pack dispenser
Spy: A spy clone decoy
Demo: Proximity landmines
Soldier: Canon
Sniper: Barricade

Just some thoughts
slicksps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
LunickTMM

Scout: A not dyin' machine/His .
Soldier: Toys.
Pyro: Mmmmmmph!
Demo: A pretty bra washer.
Heavy: A tiny gun.
Sniper: Something to stop Snipers bullets.
LunickTMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
craftyard

Scout = Rail Sentry. Like a mini-sentry, but it's on a rail, so it moves from side to side continuously and is harder to hit, but has low health.

Soldier = Rocket Sentry. 'nuff said.

Pyro = Fire Sentry. Continuously shoots fire in all directions, but has a very short range.

Demoman = Suicide Sentry. Basically just a very powerful stickybomb, but it explodes automatically when an enemy gets close.

Heavy = Magnet Dispenser. Restores ammo and slows the movement speed of enemies within a certain radius.

Medic = Auto-Repair Sentry. On assits, it gains 1 charge. On kill, it gains 2 charges. When its health drops below 50%, it will automatically repair itself, comsuming 1 charge. Maximum of 3 charges.

Sniper - Spotter Sentry. 50 damage per shot, but rate of fire is only 1 shot every 3 seconds. Its minimum range is about 10 metres, meaning it won't attack enemies that are near it, but it's maximum range is effectively infinite.

Spy - Weapon Sapper Unit. Enemies within a certain radius are periodically prevented from using syringe, fire or bullet firing weapons. This effect lasts 2 seconds, and has a 15 second recharge.
craftyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
Selgin1

Scout: Mini-dispenser. Had to be said.

I think the soldier would want little robot soldiers to order around.
Selgin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
bunivasal

Contributed some of my own.
bunivasal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Silas Mann

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyard View Post
Demoman = Suicide Sentry. Basically just a very powerful stickybomb, but it explodes automatically when an enemy gets close.
We've discussed the idea of a landmine before. We said no.
Silas Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
Silas Mann

To Business...

There have been class-specifics before. My personal favorite was the concept of adding class-specific traits to the Gunslinger.

Crafting Recipe: Gunslinger+Class Token=Class Gunslinger

These are my ideas for upsides and downsides.

Scout: Faster build speed, faster haul speed, faster firing speed, lower health, lower damage.

Soldier: Fires rockets. Higher health, slower build speed.

Pyro: Fires flames. Reflect projectiles?

Demoman: Fires grenades. Would probably target the head hitbox.

Heavy: Higher damage, higher firing speed, higher health, slower build speed, slower haul speed, cannot be hauled, rev before firing, slower build speed.

Engineer: Standard sentry.

Medic: Second, weaker dispenser?

Sniper: Higher damage, higher range, slower firing speed, minimum range (cannot fire at targets that are too close)

Spy: Lower opacity, not targeted by enemy buildings, lower damage, flickers into full visibility while shooting.
Silas Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
War Monkey782

Medic: The Auto-Doc.
Cuts open enemies and heals allies with a quick and experimental surgery.

Sniper: The Water Fountain.
A water fountain that slightly heals allies and refills jarate instantly for sniper.

Demo: A Keg.
Upon use, user becomes quickly healed back to full health, has minicrits on all their weapons, but they will drunkenly stumble, and their aim will shake a lot, they also move slower and take minicrits.
War Monkey782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
Brutis_Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selgin1 View Post
Scout: Mini-dispenser. Had to be said.

I think the soldier would want little robot soldiers to order around.
lol, indeed it did have to be said
Brutis_Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #12
bunivasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Mann View Post
We've discussed the idea of a landmine before. We said no.
I stated in the OP that these ideas don't need to be viable for gameplay. I'm just looking for ways to get people to think about out-of-the-box Engineer buildings.

I'm looking for ideas like Pyanodon's, but with a more faithfully aesthetic execution. You know, less robotic bees and more this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Mann View Post
There have been class-specifics before. My personal favorite was the concept of adding class-specific traits to the Gunslinger.
I'm not looking for "class based" sentries for the Engineer. I'm looking for fresh, crazy building ideas for the other classes. This isn't a balance discussion, and these aren't meant to be viable buildings in-game.

I mean, the Engineer is a presumably a prolific tinkerer, and presumably he has built things that are really cool but don't necessarily translate well into game items. If you want more examples, I'm thinking things like this. Neat things that are related to the TF2 world, stuff that these guys use, that aren't necessarily weapons.

They might be, or they might not be, it depends on how they're written. None of my ideas in the OP are balanced for anything. They're just goofy ideas.
bunivasal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
psiwarp

Some ideas...

Soldier: Ribs Rack - Inspired by the Soldier and Engineer's shared love for BBQ and beef (well, bacon), now the troops can rally 'round and capture some food inside their stomachs.

Pyro: Flame Hydrant - A cleverly disguised fire-spewing machine for widespread immolation.

Demoman: Booze Booth - Tavish's private stash of alcoholic beverages and explosive concoctions.

Heavy: Munitions from Motherland - Praise Mother Russia! Sasha's rations parachute down from above (does not work indoors! Ohh, dis is bad...)

Spy: Spy-Cam 2000 - this wall-mountable device was used to gather intelligence about the RED Spy and BLU Scout's Mother's affairs.

More to come~

Last edited by psiwarp: 05-09-2012 at 09:47 PM.
psiwarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
Draggy

Pyro gets a Fire Wall.
Draggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #15

Heavy: Lightning Gun.

GG REST OF THREAD I WIN
4812622 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Engineer