Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 05-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Mechafury

Smile Just bought a new rig - Any inputs

Well i just decided with my tax return to buy a new desktop, my Amd 64 x2 just wont cut it and is throttling my nvdia 560 ti. below is a list of the items i just bought just waiting on my case now

Cpu: Amd FX 8150
mobo: Sabertooth 990fx
ram: 2 corsair vengeance DDR3 (1866mhz?) 8 GBS - 16 gb total
A/M cooler: Hyper 212 EVO am3+ cpu cooler
Power supply: ocz 750 watt power supply Bronze rating
Case: thermaltake overseer rx-I
Hardrive: Standard segate barracuda 1TB drive
Boot drive : Ocz 60 gb SSD
optical drive: standard oem dvd drive
and my 560 ti

and note all the devices and everything are sata 3 6gbs i haven't built a rig in awhile and have lost touch with a lot of tech.

any inputs or advice before i get started putting this all together? (free antivirus software is a start never really found a good one i always just reformatted when norton ran out.)

thanks and i am so excited for skyrim with hd textures witcher 2 at high fps, and a non steam game coming out relatively soon lol.

Last edited by Mechafury: 05-10-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
sfade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechafury View Post
Well i just decided with my tax return to buy a new desktop, my Amd 64 x2 just wont cut it and is throttling my nvdia 560 ti. below is a list of the items i just bought just waiting on my case now

Cpu: Amd FX 8150
mobo: Sabertooth 990fx
ram: 2 corsair vengeance (1866mhz?) 8 GBS - 16 gb total
A/M cooler: Hyper 212 EVO am3+ cpu cooler
Power supply: ocz 750 watt power supply Bronze rating
Case: thermaltake overseer rx-I
Hardrive: Standard segate barracuda 1TB drive
Boot drive : Ocz 60 gb SSD
optical drive: standard oem dvd drive
and my 560 ti

and note all the devices and everything are sata 3 6gbs i haven't built a rig in awhile and have lost touch with a lot of tech.

any inputs or advice before i get started putting this all together? (free antivirus software is a start never really found a good one i always just reformatted when norton ran out.)

thanks and i am so excited for skyrim with hd textures witcher 2 at high fps, and a non steam game coming out relatively soon lol.
Looks good though I myself would probably opt for an overclocked Intel i5 setup over bulldozer. I like AMD well enough, but given the cost of the FX8150 I just can't justify it's price vs performance for gaming (unlike the Phenom II's, which had an excellent price vs performance scale even though the i5 was technically faster).

Other than that note, you should be happy with it and I don't see anything that stands out as a horrible choice. A little overkill on RAM, but it's cheap so not really a big deal.
sfade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Mechafury

Ya the clerk looked a me a little weird but i really wanted to be prepared - and i am just an amd man, except when it comes to video cards
Mechafury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
ericlee2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechafury View Post
Ya the clerk looked a me a little weird but i really wanted to be prepared - and i am just an amd man, except when it comes to video cards
If you were an AMD man why didn't you get these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820103008

Anyways, your power supply is also pretty overkill because currently is it inefficient, unless you plan to do 560Ti SLI.
ericlee2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
Mechafury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlee2k View Post
If you were an AMD man why didn't you get these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820103008

Anyways, your power supply is also pretty overkill because currently is it inefficient, unless you plan to do 560Ti SLI.

no nothing like that maybe get a nvdia 690 when its cheaper, and some minor overclocking. So no sli for me :P even though in side the mobo case that adapter looks mighty enticing.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
Bad_Motha

Banned
With any AMD FX AM3/AM3+ setup, this is what's basically needed.
> Use either Win7 or Win8 OS
> If you're using Win7 OS, you need these two MS Hotfixes > http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Bull...load-2831.html
> Also be sure to update to the latest BIOS version available for your motherboard.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
YahooElite

As far as the Powersupply goes i dont see a problem.. way i see it its better to be safe then sorry, never know when you may need the extra power.
YahooElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
thirdworldninja

Nothing to add that hasn't already been said I guess.
AMD makes good stuff, but in my experience their hardware tends to be a bit power-hungry. An overclocked i5 is roughly the same price and would give better performance.
If you can afford it I would recommend upgrading to the new GTX 670, its a great card. Expensive, but you wouldn't have to upgrade for at least a couple years.
thirdworldninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
Mechafury

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdworldninja View Post
AMD makes good stuff, but in my experience their hardware tends to be a bit power-hungry. An overclocked i5 is roughly the same price and would give better performance.
If you can afford it I would recommend upgrading to the new GTX 670, its a great card. Expensive, but you wouldn't have to upgrade for at least a couple years.
Ya the plan is now to save up for a gtx 690 for when its available then i really wont have to touch this computer for awhile :P

"Also thanks for the input i knew about the bulldozer hot fixes but didn't know where to grab them, also any free antivirus you guys trust that does not bog down your system?)

Last edited by Mechafury: 05-11-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
YahooElite

Microsoft Security Essentials is pretty good and most people recommend it.

I dont use one myself, all i use is Advanced System Care for its Malware scanning and cleaning capabilities and a Firewall which i shall not name.

i prefer to keep my system clean so dont have any need for an AV.
YahooElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #11
TeKraken

AV etc:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1964644

I personally use Avast for AV with Malwarebytes for malware.
Heard good things about Microsoft Security Essentials though.

Avast, malwarebytes and MSE are all free.
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
borg_7_of_9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdworldninja View Post
wtf the FX cant touch a stock I5 http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=288 no need to OC

OP nice build there is some good hardware there but IMO the FX CPU is so so a PIIx6 1100T would have been better IMO

AS for AV MSE works well for me and the wife..
borg_7_of_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #13
fred0000

only gripe is with the CPU aswell, I saw a used octacore (8120 or 8150, don't recall) on local classifieds and almost bought it, after some research it showed it wasn't much of an upgrade from my FX4100 (at all)
the only free anti virus i'd even consider using is AVG, I used it for many years, on my new build i'm using NOD32 however, i've used it in the past also and its been great, not free though.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
Mechafury

Thanks for the advice and antivirus suggestions, and ya this an upgrade from my Amd 64 live x2 and a really slow mobo i just like the potential i have here and never bought an intell build :/ ill stick with what i know lol

Also this is for school to do my animating and other school related stuff, just gaming as well >_>.

"highlander is on tv again this is new to me"

Last edited by Mechafury: 05-11-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
bejayel

I personally would have done an i5 but to each their own.
bejayel is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems