Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The

Old 05-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
Neon Kitten

Exclamation "Update paused" though complete; game will not run

After the near-17GB patch yesterday, I went to run The Witcher 2 EE just now and got an error message: "An error occurred while updating The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition (Unspecified Error)".

I notice that the game update's download, which was some 98% complete last time I saw it, now says "Updated: 0 bytes /0 bytes". The download cannot be resumed. Interestingly, even while downloading I noticed that the data was not being put in the "Steamapps/common/the witcher 2" folder, but somewhere else. Instead of "updating" the text above the pause/resume button said "Pre-loading".

I tried verifying the integrity of the game cache. Nothing happens. The dialogue box just sits there "verifying 1 of 1" with zero disc activity.

I tried changing to the latest beta version of Steam. Same problem.

I tried changing download servers. Same problem.

I tried running the Steam exe as Administrator. Same problem.

I'm all out of options. Any suggestions?

(Please note: "download it from GOG" is not a helpful suggestion!).
Old 05-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Neon Kitten

Additionally, if I go into Properties / Local Files for the game, I see that "Do not automatically keep this game up to date" is selected. I change that to "Automatically keep this game up to date" and it instantly switches back to the "Do not" option again...
Neon Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
asmodai

I got the same problem. Can you check your Steam\logs\content_log.txt? Mine seems to be hanging on Steam\steamapps\downloading\20920\CookedPC\pack0.d zip, probably need to free some space to allow it to allocate ~11 GB for this file since it says it fails to preallocate. I am guessing it wants to create this file alongside the current existing file and later on replacing it.

Edit: Seems to work for me. After making sure I had additional space available, resuming the update popped the update into action and it's now downloading ~11 GB.

Last edited by asmodai: 05-11-2012 at 02:08 PM.
asmodai is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The