Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 05-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
pacmandog

Intel Z77 Motherboards?

Hi just wondering which Z77 motherboards are top notch, i was about to buy the Z77 Asus Sabertooth, but I decided to get some opinion in before I order
Old 05-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
sfade

You might want to check out this thread, same exact question and discussion currently ongoing.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2691189
sfade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Maxi

Never used an Asus Z77 board, but i have a MSI Z77A-GD55 and it works great. The BIOS is easy to use and super charger is a nice feature. Got it for £120, so just under $200
Maxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
pacmandog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfade View Post
You might want to check out this thread, same exact question and discussion currently ongoing.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2691189
Alright thanks man, this kid goes to my school
pacmandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
YahooElite

Sabertooth or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131819 should suffice.

Both have Videos on the pages so just watch em to see which 1 has what you want.

Sabertooth looks nice imo though but either 1 is a good choice features wise.

Sabertooth has 6 4pin fan headers though which with 4 pin fans allow a great amount of control when it comes to cooling/sound from the fans.
YahooElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
Sam_A_1992

Whatch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WB6U...e_gdata_player

Its long but gives a complete overview of z77 with jj from asus.
Sam_A_1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:51 AM   #7
ericlee2k

I doubt if you will ever use these, but the ASRock Z77 Extreme6 includes a PS/2 port, a firewire port, a VGA/D-sub port, a DVI port, and a mini PCIe slot, of which the Sabertooth lacks. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper and is made up of high quality materials like the Sabertooth. Also who can beat gold caps on the Extreme6?
ericlee2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
pacmandog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosbox View Post
The Sabertooth is a joke. Those tiny fans are doomed to become annoyingly whiny in short order, and the board does not have the same amount of fan control as the P8Z77-V.
Well you don't need the fans in the first place and why doesn't it have good fan control?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
pacmandog

Quote:
a) The "armor" is going to act like a blanket over the board, trapping heat. If you're just running at stock clocks, that won't matter. However, if you're running at stock clocks, then the Sabertooth is overkill.

b) Did you look at the other thread? While the Sabertooth has PWM fan headers, it doesn't allow you to define your own fan profiles. For each fan.
You can remove the armor if you hadn't already known that and I don't care much about defining my own fan profiles.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:23 AM   #10
YahooElite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmandog View Post
You can remove the armor if you hadn't already known that and I don't care much about defining my own fan profiles.
Looks like you actually watched the Vid like i did, good for you.

Yeah the Armor is removable so its not a problem, personally i kinda like it.

and i dont know where dosbox is getting his information from but with Fan XPert 2 you can according to the Fan Xpert 2 vids anyway set fan profiles for specific fans and even if you cant who cares.

As for the Armors little fans, as mentioned in the Vid the other PCs fans are definately going to be louder then the small fans so i dont really see how that makes any difference, you dont even need to use those fans as they are OPTIONAL to use.

Either way, Pro, Deluxe or the Sabertooth are nice choices, personally id go for the Sabertooth.

Fan XPert 2 is just some kickbutt stuff which thats included in all the boards.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
sfade

Regarding the armor:

This isn't the first time ASUS has come up with the 'thermal armor' either. They dropped it because it was unpopular and generally made things run warmer. I guess their solution to that was to include some tiny little fans to resurrect the idea. Reports are that the fans are fairly quiet, but how long they remain that way is unknown (it's my experience with fans of that size that they almost inevitably start to make terrible noises like whining - it was a frequent problem with the tiny fans they pinned to the old PCI and AGP GPU's).

I didn't base my judgement on the whole 'TUF' armor in the other thread on a whim, I looked at it in detail. I also poked around after deciding it was useless, and every credible review site I can find pretty much agrees that it's mostly a gimmick rather than a real benefit.

The board isn't bad but it's overpriced and somewhat impractical. If you like it though, I guess that's all that counts.

Edit: I failed to mention it, but it does have a nice warranty. However, when a board fails I generally tend to need another ASAP and just buy it, at most I would sell the repaired/replaced board to recoup losses - so not as much of an issue as far as I go. Worth noting though, 5yrs is a generous warranty.

Last edited by sfade: 05-11-2012 at 07:48 AM.
sfade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
YahooElite

Quote:
If you're going to remove the armor, then why buy the sabertooth? What features got your interest? Don't make purchase decisions based on marketing hype like some people. And yes, a 95 minute video counts as marketing hype.

The specification page makes no mention of Fan Xpert 2, neither does the manual, and it's not listed on the download page. Having said that, pacmandog isn't interested, so it's not an issue.

For those of us who know how to build quiet systems, this will be false.
All of the z77 boards come with Fan Xpert 2, the Video posted above says as much.

CPU and GPU fans are still going to be louder regardless of how "quiet" you make things.

Fan Xpert 2 is a standard feature on the z77 motherboards - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i-aTUMuIB0 At the 1 Minute mark of the vid

Last edited by YahooElite: 05-11-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
YahooElite

Majority, and being as Sabertooth is among their higher end motherboards, suffice to say that would count as 1 of the pretty much majority..

Although.. looking at the download page for the motherboard Xpert 2 isnt listed under the AI Suite Tools.. so unno..

Then again, the motherboard comes with 4-6 4pin Fan Headers, so one would assume it works with Fan Xpert 2.

Last edited by YahooElite: 05-11-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
YahooElite

read the edits

Thermal Radar, the Dust Defender, and a few other things i believe.

According to this review the Sabertooth does utilize Fan Xpert 2 http://surfingsky.com/scoop/review-asus-sabertooth-z77

Most likely comes on the Install Disk, that way people that dont have a z77 board cant download it i imagine.

Last edited by YahooElite: 05-11-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
YahooElite

Well being as i dont have one, no clue.

Either way, i like it. lil expensive though.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems