Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
J. Pinkman

Font Size adjustment please?

To VALVe or whomever else this may concern

I registered here to say the following: I suffer from a condition which sporadically makes my vision appear blurry. I would like to humbly ask that VALVe add the option to make text bigger so that folks with situations similar to my own might be able to more comfortably use the software.

The default resolution on my monitor is an unfortunate 1920*1080. That being said, it really sucks to squint in order to read my chat boxes. I'm perplexed as to why this isn't already an option in a software program so widely used.

I'm surprised there isn't already an option (outside of configuring text files, which I've done multiple times but have grown hugely tired of doing.)

This also makes it obvious that the creation of some kind of easy menu adjustment would be as simple as a hot-fix for VALVe, as it deals with simple numerical adjustments in notepad. Let me add that I don't find changing my resolution altogether a viable solution. Steam's font is exceptionally small.

Please allow a slider or numerical selector for font sizes on the various chat and interface panes within Steam. I'm tired of having to open a text file every time I'm concerned with eyestrain.

Thanks for listening

J Pinkman

Last edited by J. Pinkman: 05-12-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
ASecondOpinion

They are currently working on something many name "Big Picture Mode", which is ideally for people who use their computer in a living room with a TV, but it might be right up your alley.

I believe they are going to be showing it off at E3 this year.
ASecondOpinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
J. Pinkman

Thank you for your input, ASO. I saw that, that will be really nice!

Problem is, I have no interest in playing on a TV. The pixels are very large and I'm quite accustomed to playing on monitors since I was very young.

I'm sure they'll eventually add font size increase for chat for non-TV users like me. Perhaps it's just a matter of time?
J. Pinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
ASecondOpinion

Well, you'd still be able to use it on a standard monitor, I'm sure!

Just it'll be designed with those who sit across the room in mind.

I agree that a simple setting for a slightly larger font would be nice, but at least Big Picture mode will be something of help, I hope! Who knows, maybe Big Picture Mode will have multiple text size settings? One can hope.
ASecondOpinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Straite

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pinkman View Post
I registered here to say the following: I suffer from a condition which sporadically makes me vision appear blurry.
Well, I suffer from a condition called GETTING OLDER - and newsflash people! Eyes get worse with age - there is no if or but about it.
I've been annoyed with Valve FOR YEARS because they apparently say steam are only for children with perfect vision.

Shame on you valve

(And fix your website, I still can't login to my steam account on the website. Why? I'm guessing either because my password is too long, or because i use "non american" letters in the password. But it works fine with the client.)
Straite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
J. Pinkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straite View Post
Well, I suffer from a condition called GETTING OLDER - and newsflash people! Eyes get worse with age - there is no if or but about it.
I've been annoyed with Valve FOR YEARS because they apparently say steam are only for children with perfect vision.

Shame on you valve

(And fix your website, I still can't login to my steam account on the website. Why? I'm guessing either because my password is too long, or because i use "non american" letters in the password. But it works fine with the client.)
It's quite odd considering Gabe Newell has terrible, terrible eyes. So bad, in fact, that before his cornea transplants he described them as "dead-peoples eyes." The quote below is also a link to the entire article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes
Gabe Newell was going blind. The founder of videogame seller Valve suffers from Fuchs Dystrophy, a congenital disease that slowly destroys the cornea. "I have dead-people eyes," he said at the time. Double cornea transplants in 2006 and 2007 cured him and changed him utterly.

"The thing that snuck past my defenses was that not only could I see again but I could see better than I ever had before. I felt like I was in a fantasy story. It reminded me of how fast the future is coming at us and from what unexpected directions."

You'd think then that they'd have something to help us folks out!

Last edited by J. Pinkman: 05-12-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
J. Pinkman

Shameless self bump here. This needs in. I can't even use Steam and VALVe seems to not read this forum. If they did, Gabe would do something--he had ing double cornea replacement for being nearly blind. Make adjustable fonts for chat an option.

Come on, stop adding hats and give us a way overdue handicap features. Having memories of the never ending delay on the friends system. Next up: I write a letter and phone you up. I love my VALVe games and fellow players, so this is trashy.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas