Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Far Cry series

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #16
Smooth613
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 301
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senescent View Post
Obviously when you edit your display settings like that it's not going to be properly calibrated.
Exactly. Hence why I said mimic the injector settings @ desktop to see how saturation, brightness, and contrast are completely destroyed.

Quote:
That doesn't even make any sense. You're not thinking correctly.
It makes perfect sense, it's mimicing the injector settings. Please elaborate as to why it doesn't make sense.

Quote:
By default, Far Cry 2 will look completely washed out and bland on a properly calibrated monitor.
Far Cry 2 may look a little bland yes, but horribly over-saturating and destroying white and black levels are not fixing the cause.

Quote:
The injector is adjusting multiple settings, some of which you can change in your monitor options and/or display drivers, but only within the game.
Correct. Hence the reason I said to mimic those setting of the injector in your GPU or Montor control panel to mimic the look of the injector. It's entirely possible.

Quote:
That means that if your monitor is calibrated incorrectly and you add the injector on top of that it's going to look really weird in game.
It looks "weird" in game on a properly calibrated monitor.

Quote:
Another example would be if your monitor was set up correctly and somehow you managed to inject the settings into Windows 7. It would appear incorrect when mixed with your proper settings.
This is precisely my point! You acknowledge it here without seemingly knowing so. By adjusting your GPU settings to mimic that of the injector you are effectively "injecting those settings into Windows 7" as you referred, and look incorrect. Precisely. I cannot emphasize this enough.

Quote:
Do you understand how you have the completely wrong mindset?
No Please elaborate, as I feel you are misunderstanding or refusing an alternate stance.

Quote:
Replicating the injector settings are going to appear incorrect because that's how it works. It adds contrast, saturation, sharpening, tints and filters on top of your hardware/software settings into a specific program in order to change the appearance.
Yes, I understand how injectors work, but thanks for the explanation. And it appears incorrect, as you've now stated a few times, because it is incorrect, simple as that. The white and black levels are completely destroyed with the aforementioned injector settings.

Quote:
Nothing you said makes any sense besides that we have different tastes.
It makes perfect sense to anyone that's open to discussion and criticism.

Quote:
Regardless, if you honestly think that it's a good idea but was poorly executed, I urge you to try it in game for yourself.
I did try it, or I would never have replied. I also tried some other settings, the default ones from an older v4 version, and it looked much better than the above settings. Here download THIS VERSION to see how you can add some saturation and pop of the injection without destroying white and black levels. That's more along my taste.

Also, I must ask... Did you even attempt what I challenged in my previous post, to mimic the saturation, contrast, and brightness levels of the injector? Then did you fire up FC2 and notice it has a nearly identical look concerning those settings? Then did you notice how god-awful everything else is, specifically the calibration website you originally linked when attempting to say it's my problem and such?

Quote:
You may personally still not enjoy it but you're wrong when it comes to the technicalities and there's no denying that.
I like how you continuously attack me throughout instead of constructing a proper rebuttal. I'm not wrong as it's all been my opinion - with the exception that anyone with good vision and a decently calibrated monitor could see the black and white levels are destroyed - and nor did I get into technicalities, ever.
Smooth613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #17
Senescent
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 64
Posts: 112
I'm not going to spend time typing up another long post. But I will say it again, you're not thinking correctly. Injector settings will always appear as calibrated improperly because that's the entire purpose of them. Either use the one you linked to or go find an injector that you think looks good. Actually, I'll show you two that I enjoy. This is my favorite one for Skyrim and I love this one for Battlefield 3. Regardless of which one you choose, try replicating the look using your previous method. Now go check out the calibration website I linked to in my earlier post. Notice how it appears incorrect? I honestly cannot say it in more laymen's terms. If you cannot comprehend my last post then we will just have to disagree.

Edit- Just to make it clear, you can hate it personally. I really don't care about that. The only reason I'm still responding is because you brought up the "issue" where my mod makes the webpage appear calibrated improperly.

Last edited by Senescent: 05-06-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Senescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
Smooth613
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 301
Posts: 754
I wouldn't reply further either at this point. You just continually drop personal attacks and talk about improper calibration, while continuing to dodge any questions I ask or examples I provide. I only ever said this wasn't my taste, or "no thanks", and said by all means if you enjoy it use it. As a response to some slight criticism of your settings you got overly defensive and insist I cannot think properly, or that my monitor isn't calibrated properly, or I'm wrong about technicalities which I never talked about, and other such personal attacks. Doing so while essentially avoiding the topic at hand - over saturation, which can be associated with taste, and horrible black and white levels, i.e. poor contrast. Again I reiterate my original thoughts. No thanks.

My final thoughts on this are simple; If you're going to post "mods" on public forums you have to be more open to criticism and less defensive over someone stating their opinion of your "mod". Resorting to personal attacks and other silliness will not take you very far if you want to gain a fan base for your efforts. Take care.
Smooth613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #19
Senescent
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 64
Posts: 112
This is pretty dumb. I've never attacked you "personally" and I'm sorry if you feel that way. The only thing I said about you is that I don't believe you fully understand what I'm saying. I'm sorry if I used hurtful words like "laymen's terms" and "comprehend". Oh lord, the horror!

I'm going to break this down for you in an attempt to get us on the same level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senescent View Post
I'm not sure if you know but Far Cry 2 isn't exactly very moddable. So yes, in this case, an injector is as good as it gets.

Anyway, obviously this isn't for everyone but if you've read the post above about contrast and still honestly think that it's over saturated your monitor is probably configured incorrectly. The average inexperienced customer usually never properly calibrates their monitor. Try using this guide or searching for another one and after trying it in game, give me your opinion. If you're still a fan of the next-gen "realistic brown" then I'm not sure what else I can do for you. Thank you for your input, though!
I told you that I believe if it looks that terrible it may be because of your setup. If you're still a fan of the original after making sure your setup checks out, then that's fine. I even said thank you, how nice of me.

You've never spoken about any technicalities? None at all? Oh wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth613 View Post
I had a more elaborate post written up but some may have thought it was too much, or something... So, just to sum up my feelings on this. Oh, by the way, my monitor(s) on each of my system(s) are calibrated just fine.

Try to mimic the saturation, contrast, and brightness levels all via the GPU control panel settings. After only spending a few minutes with it I can get damn near the same results in the screenshots and then I went to the website linked above. I could not tell a difference in 85-100 at all, solid white, with 0-10 solid black - whereas normally I can easily differentiate each of the eight color blocks. Here, if you have an AMD GPU, or you can try same with NVIDIA but I'm relaying my CCC settings, plug these numbers in and compare.

HUE - 0
SATURATION - 200
BRIGHTNESS - (-)40
CONTRAST - 155

You'll get comparable results to the "modded" screenshots but I want you to notice how washed out and terrible it really is on everything else, especially the white and black levels.

Now if you enjoy the settings by all means use them, I'm just stating they are horribly over-saturated, for my taste, and destroy black and white levels. Whites too white, blacks too black - there is no denying that.
I've never tried to explain the specifics to you? I've avoided all of your questions, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senescent View Post
By default, Far Cry 2 will look completely washed out and bland on a properly calibrated monitor. The injector is adjusting multiple settings, some of which you can change in your monitor options and/or display drivers, but only within the game. That means that if your monitor is calibrated incorrectly and you add the injector on top of that it's going to look really weird in game. Another example would be if your monitor was set up correctly and somehow you managed to inject the settings into Windows 7. It would appear incorrect when mixed with your proper settings. Do you understand how you have the completely wrong mindset? Replicating the injector settings are going to appear incorrect because that's how it works. It adds contrast, saturation, sharpening, tints and filters on top of your hardware/software settings into a specific program in order to change the appearance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senescent View Post
Injector settings will always appear as calibrated improperly because that's the entire purpose of them. Either use the one you linked to or go find an injector that you think looks good. Actually, I'll show you two that I enjoy. This is my favorite one for Skyrim and I love this one for Battlefield 3. Regardless of which one you choose, try replicating the look using your previous method. Now go check out the calibration website I linked to in my earlier post.

I've tried explaining to you that the saturation/contrast issue may be because of calibration and if not then it is a matter of taste. What else would you like for me to say? Here, I will try to explain it to you one more time. The reason the calibration will appear wrong when replicating the injector settings is on count of one simple reason. Injectors change visual settings such as saturation and contrast in order to get a desired look. There are no "brown tint" files in the Far Cry 2 directory. You cannot remove the blue hue in Battlefield 3 by removing a file. But you can do so by "injecting" said visual settings into the application. If you were to replicate my mod using monitor/driver settings it will obviously appear as calibrated improperly because that is what I am trying to achieve. On a proper vanilla setup, FC2 looks bland and dull as I have said before. I added more saturation and contrast into the program because in my opinion it was normally far too low. Because of this, if you were to replicate the settings it will appear wrong because that's the entire point. Not to appear incorrect but to change settings on top of your normal monitor settings, in this case adding more colors and other pretty things.

To be specific, there was normally not enough color so I added more saturation. I added a lens effect to remove the brown/green tint everything had before. I added pre-sharpening to make the textures pop a bit more. The reason your monitor settings matter so much is because if your monitor is set up incorrectly and for example, had too much saturation or contrast then the added settings used in the injector would make the change(s) seem much more drastic then it would be on a set up that had the proper configuration. And my setup happens to be configured correctly. If your monitor wasn't we would not be seeing the same thing. Does it all make sense now? If it doesn't I hope this won't keep you awake at night because I'm seriously not explaining this any further. If we're not at a mutual understanding now then we never will be. So the entire purpose of all of this is to make you understand that the results of a calibration test either after injection or replication may appear as incorrect but it does not matter. If your monitor is truly properly set up it does not matter if it says your settings are not calibrated correctly after replication because you are still seeing what I see. And what if you don't like what I see? That's okay, don't use the mod. I won't get my feeling hurt much, I promise. I also promise that I can take criticism just fine. I'm only trying to inform you that your criticism, beyond your personal taste, is incorrect. I'm simply trying to make you understand that calibration only matters before injection, not after. If you still think it has too much contrast let there be more power to you! Keep fighting the man, man!

Now I'm going to attack you personally. Are you ready?

You're silly. Take care!

Last edited by Senescent: 05-06-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Senescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #20
Clownmug
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Reputation: 45
Posts: 60
This definitely improves the game in my opinion but the contrast does suffer a bit. I think the thing you mentioned about the eye simulation is part of HDR. Too bad the injector only works in DX10, otherwise you could turn off HDR and see if it makes a difference.
Clownmug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #21
kabtq9s
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 76
Posts: 352
works great, I love it. But when I take screenshots using steam it takes pics of the regular game, as if the mod is not installed. :/
kabtq9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #22
Senescent
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 64
Posts: 112
That is an unfortunate side effect of using an injector. Steam screenshots never pick them up no matter what game you're using one in. I use Fraps to record videos and take screenshots myself. You may be able to print screen and paste it into paint or something. I haven't tried that in FC2 though.
Senescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
diwas13
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Reputation: 9
Posts: 224
Absolutely love it.......during the daytime. Shadows are a little too dark.

Edit* Nevermind upped the gamma and contrast a bit and everything looks immense, great job OP the game looks infintely better, even the textures look sharper. THANK YOU!!!!

Last edited by diwas13: 05-07-2012 at 09:03 PM.
diwas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #24
kabtq9s
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 76
Posts: 352
I just want to say I don't know how I was enjoying far cry2 without this mod, when I look at the pictures of un-modded game it just looks so dull and bland everything has the same light brown/ yellowish sandy color. Although I can't take pictures of modded game, I'm really enjoying the color filled environment and gives me a more realistic experience
kabtq9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #25
d0x360
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Reputation: 7
Posts: 20
all this looks like it does is change the saturation levels on the colors...
d0x360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #26
Fusionmix
 
Join Date: May 2011
Reputation: 5
Posts: 76
I was skeptical at first - to be frank, those screenshots look terrible.

But it's a big improvement. I like actually seeing things in the distance, and not have everybody blend into the beige fog is helpful in firefights.

Not as impressive as a lot of mods, but considering the unfriendliness of FC2 to modders you deserve props. Thanks.
Fusionmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:49 AM   #27
b3nje909
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 15
Posts: 216
I think FC2 is one of the best games ever made.
I recently bought it for PC to play over the next few years when ever I feel like stalking through the bush like a psychopath and murdering people.

if I get this mod, and dislike it. am I able to remove it?
b3nje909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Far Cry series


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.