Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Offspring Fling!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Sheepdude86

Dev Time?

Admittedly, I haven't played much of this game, but I can't believe some of the "Dev Times" for completing the stages. For instance, on 008 BUTTON UP, the par time is around 21 seconds, whereas the dev time is 6.5 seconds! Am I missing something? I can't see how they managed to do that, unless there's a mechanic I'm missing, or some kind of upgrade is introduced later. Any insight?
Old 05-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Mariox

You are able to jump and pick up offspring while completing a jump as if you are not caring an offspring. Just as you start the jump you push down to pick it up.

On stage 8, you skip the switch part doing it like this. When I did it the first time I did not figure it out until I played later stages.
Mariox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Sheepdude86

Awesome, thanks for the tip Mariox! And +rep =)
Sheepdude86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Lurpsukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariox View Post
You are able to jump and pick up offspring while completing a jump as if you are not caring an offspring. Just as you start the jump you push down to pick it up.

On stage 8, you skip the switch part doing it like this. When I did it the first time I did not figure it out until I played later stages.
This same tactic works for level 4. Uploaded a replay to the Internet to show how to get dev time on it.
Lurpsukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
Mariox

Looks like the intended way will get you the gold flower, but these little tricks are needed to beat the dev times. I find it helps to stop trying if you can't beat it and come back to it. a few I got quick after I went back to them.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
gamesr4squarez

Yup, the dev times are really hard. The ghost can be useful for learning necessary tricks. That's how I figured out the jump+grab trick, for instance.

Also, the point at which you grab the chick is important. You run slightly slower with a chick, so you want to try and grab at the last possible moment. It's not a big difference, but sometimes that's what it takes for those dev times.

Completely insane. I'm not going to bother with most of them
gamesr4squarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #7
Lurpsukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesr4squarez View Post
Yup, the dev times are really hard. The ghost can be useful for learning necessary tricks. That's how I figured out the jump+grab trick, for instance.

Also, the point at which you grab the chick is important. You run slightly slower with a chick, so you want to try and grab at the last possible moment. It's not a big difference, but sometimes that's what it takes for those dev times.

Completely insane. I'm not going to bother with most of them
Same here, for a game like this which is pretty casual and fun platformer dev times are not worth the time and effort. It doesn't fit in the games atmosphere
Lurpsukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
Mariox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurpsukka View Post
Same here, for a game like this which is pretty casual and fun platformer dev times are not worth the time and effort. It doesn't fit in the games atmosphere
It offers something for the casual gamer, and something for the hard core gamer. Beating dev times get you a rainbow flower, but dose not add to your flower count. I like it because it turns a 3 hour game into a 10+ hour game trying to beat them.

A few levels I get very frustrated at trying to beat, one I beat before before I saw the Dev's ghost.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
Yodake

Is there an option to turn off the ghost?
Yodake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
kpulv

Retro Affect
In the options menu you can slide down your replay opacity, or completely disable replays by clicking the "REPLAYS ENABLED" text (this should turn off the ninja ghost if I recall correctly.)
kpulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
paraguay

kpulv, are these dev times actually ones you, with your own human hands, carried out? Cause DAMN, some of the dev times are really hard to beat.

Normally the dev sucks at his own game.
paraguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #12
kpulv

Retro Affect
Yeah! I played all of the dev times fair and square with my keyboard (not even a controller!) Some of them are crazier than others, but some of them really are my best runs ever on the level. When you play the game for 6 months, you get pretty good at it. ;D
kpulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
Sephiko

While beating dev times I've figured out how to counter attack. Just turn around the moment an enemy is about to touch your hitbox, and you should stun them and hear a *ding*. It even works in mid-air, and on "thwomps."

Also you can leap the pond in Crossing Pond, so you can beat the dev time by like 6.5 seconds.
Sephiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:15 AM   #14
Kered13

Quote:
Yeah! I played all of the dev times fair and square with my keyboard (not even a controller!) Some of them are crazier than others, but some of them really are my best runs ever on the level. When you play the game for 6 months, you get pretty good at it. ;D
Read: I know all the physics bugs that I didn't fix :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiko View Post
While beating dev times I've figured out how to counter attack. Just turn around the moment an enemy is about to touch your hitbox, and you should stun them and hear a *ding*. It even works in mid-air, and on "thwomps."
Can you upload a video demonstration? Especially on thwomps.
Kered13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
Sephiko

I've never really done any video recording before... plus I'm having some hardware issues as of late. I could email you a replay where I've put a counter attack into practical use, on level 69 "Ole Billy Tell."

I stumbled upon it while doing short hops over the little dragon guys, then tried using it on the left/right moving thwomps to confirm how it's done. It requires perfect timing, so it takes a lot of tries.
Sephiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Offspring Fling!