Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > ORION: Dino Horde

Old 05-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #16
Chunkeynoodlez

They were nowhere close to the size of a t-rex. Your interpretation of the word raptor was wrong. I'm sorry you were offended when I corrected you.
Chunkeynoodlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #17
Orade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkeynoodlez View Post
They were nowhere close to the size of a t-rex. Your interpretation of the word raptor was wrong. I'm sorry you were offended when I corrected you.
The utahraptor was 23 feet long and weighed anywhere from 1000-1500lbs. My understanding of the word is entirely correct and I'm not offended at all. You're trying to debate something with poor facts.
Orade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #18
K E V 1 N

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd91 View Post
A big chicken chasing me doesn't seem that scary.
I dunno. I think I'd crap myself if a man-sized chicken was trying to kill me.
K E V 1 N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #19
Chunkeynoodlez

I guess you missed this one http://maastrichian.home.bresnan.net...lobator01.html then?
If you understand the meaning of the word raptor you wouldn't automatically assume they are talking about velocirators. Raptor is a very broad word and accurately describes the creature in the game.
"For our purposes, though, raptors can be broadly described as small- to medium-sized, bipedal, carnivorous dinosaurs equipped with grasping, three-fingered hands, relatively big brains, and (most distinctively) huge, solitary claws on each of their hind feet, which they probably used to slash and occasionally disembowel their prey" from http://dinosaurs.about.com/od/typeso.../a/raptors.htm.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #20
Orade

Oh no I saw that one, but I'm not seeing a 17 foot long raptor anywhere in Orion. Can you point it out for me? Like David said though, it's the nostalgia version of raptors. I know for most of us that would be a velociraptors.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #21
Chunkeynoodlez

The The length of the raptor is a general proportion that most of the raptors share. http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/56...550F664F594E3/
They are easily as long as or longer than the car. The proportions are correct.

Edit - Just noticed your request for a thread lock. "LOL I'M WRONG GET ME OUTTA HERE".

Don't sweat it bro.

Last edited by Chunkeynoodlez: 05-12-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Rather not doublepost
Old 05-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #22
Orade

Quote:
Edit - Just noticed your request for a thread lock. "LOL I'M WRONG GET ME OUTTA HERE".
Hardly. I'm not interested in having an argument about the ingame raptors with a person who can only provide url's to other dinosaurs that are miniature compared to the size of a human and url's of dinosaurs that are almost as long as a school bus.

Quote:
The The length of the raptor is a general proportion that most of the raptors share. http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/56...550F664F594E3/
They are easily as long as or longer than the car. The proportions are correct.
The cars in this game are extremely small. I'm going to assume the player models in this game are 6 feet tall, so that would make the raptors MAYBE 10 feet in length. and I'd say they're just barely pushing 150lbs. Also, to further my statement I made about your incorrect assumption of why I requested a thread lock, you're trying to compare the ingame raptors length with the ingame vehicle, which is pretty small. On top of everything else, you still haven't given any proof that they weren't modeling these guys off of the velociraptors that nostalgia keeps embedded in our minds.

I like how you're trying to play it cool as if you weren't wrong at all though, you're almost a troll.

Last edited by Orade: 05-12-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #23
DPrassel

Spiral Game Studio
Gladiator buggy is being scaled up in 1.2. That vehicle IS too small:

http://i.imgur.com/tEerd.jpg

It'll be roughly 15-20% larger.
DPrassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #24
Chunkeynoodlez

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrassel View Post
Gladiator buggy is being scaled up in 1.2. That vehicle IS too small:

http://i.imgur.com/tEerd.jpg

It'll be roughly 15-20% larger.
lol.

Anyway, the point is that by definition, the raptors are in-fact raptors. Your original post implied they went with an inaccurate represenation of a velociraptor. I said that the term raptor is far reaching and does indeed encompass the dino from the game.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #25
Orade

Quote:
lol.

Anyway, the point is that by definition, the raptors are in-fact raptors. Your original post implied they went with an inaccurate represenation of a velociraptor. I said that the term raptor is far reaching and does indeed encompass the dino from the game.
My point is that if you walk up to anybody that has ever watched movies and ask them, "What comes to mind when I say the word raptor?", they will say something along the lines of Jurassic Park, velociraptor, or something unmistakably close along those lines... because that film is what put that term on the map. The word raptor(regardless of the literal definition) means velociraptor because movies that were as awesome as the Jurassic Park trilogy had such a huge part in our lives while we were growing up. Nostalgia is powerful. I had my suspicions of their reasons for making the raptors the way they did in Orion. David confirmed my suspicions.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #26
Chunkeynoodlez

"The ones I'm familiar with were small and feathered. " Doesn't sound like what you originally said but okay.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #27
Orade

Quote:
"The ones I'm familiar with were small and feathered. " Doesn't sound like what you originally said but okay.
Well excuse me for being well read.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #28
Fragems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd91 View Post
A big chicken chasing me doesn't seem that scary.

I wanted to post the scene from Jurassic Park in which the little chubby kid makes fun of Grants description of a raptor so bad it hurt, but couldn't find the darn video on the internet.

Anyways here is some of the other random but hilarious crap that came up during my search.
How Jurassic Park Should Have Ended
Jurassic Park Sequel - Revenge of the Raptors
Birds of Pray
Fragems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #29
Appletatoes

Thumbs up Agreed

Orade is 100% correct. If all you're going to do is make a big scene about the name "Raptors" when all we were intending is the "historically correct version" then please take it somewhere else.
Appletatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #30
SiMoNiZoR

Definitions of words are subject to change as per popular useage of the word.
SiMoNiZoR is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > ORION: Dino Horde