Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > ORION: Dino Horde

Old 05-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #31
starlinvf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBullet View Post
Yet, nobody gets jarateed that the last several Call Of Duty's have been pretty close to the same game [/OffTopic]
Thats because its the same series, with elements that help define. To draw a comparison to music, each element is note or chord. And when combined, the composition and arrangement is what makes it music. Composers also have styles, and fully expected that 2 pieces by the same composer would have similarities.

But there are also homages and inspirational, in which another composer adds or modifies someone else's work, but can not claim it to be an original work.

But what I find most hilarious about this situation is how it reminds me the shoyu weenie episode of Harvey Birdman.

http://bolt3.com/video/harvey-birdma...w-shoyu-weenie
starlinvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #32
xX_Renegade_Xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlinvf View Post
Composers also have styles, and fully expected that 2 pieces by the same composer would have similarities.
I'll agree with that, Hans Zimmer and James Horner are two that I can usually spot straight away after listening to the first few seconds.
xX_Renegade_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #33
Aakaash R

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX_Renegade_Xx View Post
I'll agree with that, Hans Zimmer and James Horner are two that I can usually spot straight away after listening to the first few seconds.
James Horner's work was actually a huge inspiration to me for the calmer pieces in the album.
Aakaash R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #34
DPrassel

Spiral Game Studio
As 'cliche' as it has become to like Hans Zimmer since he pretty much scores any movie that matters at this point, I am a huge fan and there definitely has been inspiration from him and "tips of our hat" towards him ever since the first soundtrack we put out (2009 - ORION: Source Prototype). In fact there was even a song on that album called "Zimmer".

I'm also heavily in love with the likes of Phillip Glass and Michael Nyman which you will probably notice inspirations from. This is very likely as when I work with our composers I show them all sorts of things whether its movies, other soundtracks or just things we have lying around that were self-developed over the years.

Some Michael Nyman (from Gattaca, one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26-migpeVJM

"The Departure" is a perfect piece, if I had to ever name one to someone. Absolutely genius.
DPrassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #35
xX_Renegade_Xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakaash R View Post
James Horner's work was actually a huge inspiration to me for the calmer pieces in the album.
That's probably why I enjoyed the music so much
xX_Renegade_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #36
jdd91

i love this game not only for the awesome entertainment i get from playing it, but also from the hours of entertainment i get just reading through the forums. ive never refreshed pages so many times in my life.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #37
carrion_

so i gather you like joel eriksson as well, then?
carrion_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #38
kraglos

Will definitely look for the soundtracks. You did a great job Aakaash!
kraglos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #39
Aakaash R

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrion_ View Post
so i gather you like joel eriksson as well, then?
I'm actually not too familiar with Joel Eriksson's work; I'll be sure to check him out!

Thanks for all the support, guys!
Aakaash R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #40
DarthSidious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakaash R View Post

Any comments, both positive and negative, are appreciated.

The OST is awesome, i really love "The Meeting" track (my favorite), and "Victory Road" is great, too.

DarthSidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #41
lmazon

I have to say this conversation smacks of self righteous busybodies who have never composed a song, or have at least not figured out that creativity is rife with similarities and that composers and artists draw inspiration from others. Look at your favorite artists(musical or otherwise) and find out who their inspiration were. Then go back and find all the "similarities" and go accuse them of copyright infringement. *eyeroll* Seriously, if an artist likes the sound of a certain chord progression, they'll use it, and there's nothing wrong with that. We should be celebrating the similarity, not criticizing it, and most artists are flattered when another artist draws inspiration from their work. No, it is not even REMOTELY similar enough to be considered "changing a few notes". You can start criticizing others when you graduate with a music degree, and another big name music critic says you're a big name music critic. Until then, I would suggest asking about your concerns rather than just accusing. You'll find things work out better for everybody.
lmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #42
lmazon

Now that I've gotten that out of my system, I have to say, I really wanted something more from the music. While I appreciate the artists creativity, and the music is good, I feel like the piano progression doesn't really fit the fact that I'm pumping slugs into a 20 foot T-Rex, while dodging attacks from flyers and raptors. I wanted something with a beat, and more intense. As it stands, I've got the music turned off now, because it just didn't fit all the time. I wonder, do you have anything more intense you could use?
lmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #43
DPrassel

Spiral Game Studio
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmazon View Post
Now that I've gotten that out of my system, I have to say, I really wanted something more from the music. While I appreciate the artists creativity, and the music is good, I feel like the piano progression doesn't really fit the fact that I'm pumping slugs into a 20 foot T-Rex, while dodging attacks from flyers and raptors. I wanted something with a beat, and more intense. As it stands, I've got the music turned off now, because it just didn't fit all the time. I wonder, do you have anything more intense you could use?

It's not out of the question to have two different systems down the road in which users can toggle which one they want. Something like either 'Tranquil' or 'Intense'.

Don't make us use DubStep!
DPrassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #44
Fragems

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmazon View Post
Whenever i play i just turn their music off pull up the steam user UI and use the browser to connect to last.fm .
Fragems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #45
Levi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzel_Pummage View Post
On a side note, I do love Beware of the Ancients. For some inexplicable reason it makes me want to play The Misadventures of P.B Winterbottom
That was a great game.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > ORION: Dino Horde