Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 05-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
Airball

Angry Auto disconnect in 25 seconds - help!

I've been getting this ever since the update last week. I can join a server and it works for about 30-60 seconds. And then it freezes everyones' actions, and has the "Warning, auto disconnect in 25 seconds" red writing.

About 3/4 of the time it times out and it disconnects me. I have to either re-launch Steam or reboot entirely.

Maybe 25% of the time it catches and the timer goes away and I can play with no problems.

Has anyone ever encountered this? I don't have any problems with my internet, and my speed is more than adequate.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Airball

no one?
Airball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
Angon

Have you done anything to your TF2 net settings? Not sure, but I imagine something like a colossal amount of choke could do this.

Also, I know you said your net is fine, but years ago this was happening to me and it turned out to be a dying\overheating router.
Angon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
akiracotc

Yes, happening to me, bad connectivity to servers I normally frequent. Can't say it's my internet connection. Have almost gotten completely disconnected several times, but it disappeared and I could play again, albeit quite laggy. Something affected the netcode maybe?
akiracotc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
sandman9601

I think I have your answer.

When TF2 opens and you click the button to bring up all the servers, it automatically does a full refresh on the "internet" tab. This pings all possible servers and causes a huge storm on your net connection. Some routers can't handle this and it overloads them for a while. The problem with the router will eventually clear on its own (NAT tables fill up and it takes a while for the router to purge them).

The big symptom of this is that your net connection totally drops for about 5-10 mins. Steam, TF2, web pages, everything. I'll tell you right now, rebooting your system is a red herring, it does nothing to solve the problem except make you wait (and time is the solution). It sounds like your router is barely being overloaded, but you still have all the classic symptoms of it.

What can you do? Well I'll admit that this issue hits me too, and I have no idea what routers are "good" and don't do this. Valve has said that they're looking at the problem, but that's been going on for a while so I wouldn't suspect much anytime soon.

Fortunately, the workaround is simple. Every time you open the server browser in TF2, immediately switch to the "internet" tab and click "stop" to kill the update. Problem solved. Yes, I do this every single time I start TF2. It eventually becomes habit. But at least it works.

Good luck!

Here's a support ticket from Valve on the issue, for what it's worth: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...4487-YUOC-6922
sandman9601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
akiracotc

In my scenario, my server list opens only my 2-3 favourites, and all servers don't refresh unless I manually tell them to.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
Trixie Lulamoon

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by akiracotc View Post
In my scenario, my server list opens only my 2-3 favourites, and all servers don't refresh unless I manually tell them to.
Actually the "Internet" tab refreshes as soon as you open the browser, regardless of what tab it opens up with. When you open the browser, go to the tab and click "Stop refresh" immediately.

I'm affected by the browser causing connection failures as well.
Trixie Lulamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
akiracotc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie Lulamoon View Post
Actually the "Internet" tab refreshes as soon as you open the browser, regardless of what tab it opens up with. When you open the browser, go to the tab and click "Stop refresh" immediately.

I'm affected by the browser causing connection failures as well.
Let's say it does (I've flipped to it immediately before, and it isn't in refresh mode), but let's say this is the case. If I do a full internet server refresh, it's done completely in 60 seconds or so.

My disconnects on server happen 30, 45, 60 minutes into game on the server. Prior to last update, was not experiencing this.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
Airball

I've cleaned up my cache for TF2, and defraged (my 3% fragmented) machine, but no dice.

And Sandman, thanks for the ticket, but I don't bring up the internet server tab when I log in, so I doubt that'd be it, but I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
Airball

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiracotc View Post
My disconnects on server happen 30, 45, 60 minutes into game on the server. Prior to last update, was not experiencing this.
I've never had any problems prior to the last update either. Mine usually times out after about a minute or two after I connect.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
Cobalt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airball View Post
And Sandman, thanks for the ticket, but I don't bring up the internet server tab when I log in, so I doubt that'd be it, but I'll keep an eye on it.
Sandman said switch to the internet tab, so he's assuming you're using one of the other tabs. I have to give this a try as well. I'm not a fan of waiting 5-10 minutes until I stop getting disconnected.
Cobalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:32 AM   #12
Airball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt1 View Post
Sandman said switch to the internet tab, so he's assuming you're using one of the other tabs. I have to give this a try as well. I'm not a fan of waiting 5-10 minutes until I stop getting disconnected.
I did this all last night, and it didn't make any difference.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:39 AM   #13
rizl0r

You could also increase the time until it disconnects by using cl_timeout.
I set mine to 2 mins (cl_timeout 120)
I think the default is 25 sec? Might help... probably not...
rizl0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #14
Airball

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizl0r View Post
You could also increase the time until it disconnects by using cl_timeout.
I set mine to 2 mins (cl_timeout 120)
I think the default is 25 sec? Might help... probably not...
Interesting idea, I'll definitely look into that one. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:47 AM   #15
rizl0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airball View Post
Interesting idea, I'll definitely look into that one. Thanks for the suggestion.
Thinking about it, the fact that you are getting the autodisconnect in 25 seconds thing is the problem, not the duration before it disconnects. So this probaly wont help. But still- its a useful thing to have anyway if you do get those from time to time- it will give you more chance to re-connect.

Dosn't hurt to set it high...
rizl0r is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2