Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 05-11-2012, 01:39 AM   #46
PedexReemexDK

1st option. Do you see the bar in the bottom of your screen? try to right click it and go to "Start task manager" and from here you might see steam as one of the more memory demanding tasks, if you highlight it you can click end task and woula! you have now officially closed steam

2nd option. would be to just open steam go up into the left hand corner and you will see the tab "steam" click it and in the bottom of the list you should see EXIT.

---------------

and now when this is in suggestions, i have to vote NO
PedexReemexDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:45 AM   #47
Anarchisteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedexReemexDK View Post
1st option. Do you see the bar in the bottom of your screen? try to right click it and go to "Start task manager" and from here you might see steam as one of the more memory demanding tasks, if you highlight it you can click end task and woula! you have now officially closed steam

2nd option. would be to just open steam go up into the left hand corner and you will see the tab "steam" click it and in the bottom of the list you should see EXIT.

---------------

and now when this is in suggestions, i have to vote NO
You forgot right-clicking the tray icon and selecting exit.
Anarchisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #48
e_nigma

How about make it configurable (like so many other programs):
_ either minimizes to task bar or to tray;
X either minimizes to tray or exits.

That looks like an easy, well known solution that satisfies both sides.

Personally, I believe that residential stuff (AV, firewall...) belong in the tray, and the rest I'm either using or it's off. Steam client, in particular, can take up as much RAM as a web browser (not surprisingly, since it is a web browser among other things), so when I don't need it, it's off. Therefore, if I can choose which one I can do with one click, it's certainly "Exit".
e_nigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #49
Ghostbreed

Banned
I think Taco's point is valid.
Ghostbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #50
stevethepocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchisteve View Post
I think he is referring to the "News Update" popups that occur about once per day and contain news of new releases and on-sale items. This is easy to disable in the options menu and as it didn't occur to you that this is what he was talking about I imagine you've done just that.
Those only appear after you've finished playing a game though. He makes it sound like they randomly appear every hour or so.
stevethepocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #51
Mr SmokesAlot

Banned
Steam > Exit
One additional click, surely it can't be that hard
Mr SmokesAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #52
JTheJackal

I once pushed my door over but it didn't shut, I wanted it shut. I DONT WANT IT AJAR DAMMIT OMGGGGGGGGGG /wrists
JTheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:52 AM   #53
cylon

I click the X - the current steam window closes
I click File>Exit - the steam process terminates

Yes. X does close the window.
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #54
DeductiveReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTheJackal View Post
I once pushed my door over but it didn't shut, I wanted it shut. I DONT WANT IT AJAR DAMMIT OMGGGGGGGGGG /wrists
+Rep for you.
DeductiveReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #55
stinkytaco

Banned
Quote:
How about make it configurable (like so many other programs):
_ either minimizes to task bar or to tray;
X either minimizes to tray or exits.
++rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbreed View Post
I think Taco's point is valid.
Finally someone with some sense! +rep!

Quote:
Steam > Exit
One additional click, surely it can't be that hard
That is not my point. I do not want the application open , after I specifically hit the "x" to exit it.

When i exit the application I do not want to go to the tray and tell it to exit again.

This should automatically be disabled if you turn of steam "spam me with every DLC in existence " feature to the OFF position. If the spamming and Friends list is turned off, there is absolutely NO reason for it to run.

To fix this all they have to do is change the icon to a "minimize to tray" icon. not a close application icon.

Ok, ready for the next batch of simple contradiction, doesn't anyone know how to debate anymore? Simple contradiction, is ....well.... Simple.

Last edited by stinkytaco: 05-14-2012 at 03:37 PM.
stinkytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #56
Epsilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkytaco View Post
This should automatically be disabled if you turn of steam "spam me with every DLC in existence " feature to the OFF position. If the spamming and Friends list is turned off, there is absolutely NO reason for it to run.
Apart from speeding up game launches because Steam doesn't have to spin up first, and games keeping themselves up-to-date in the background.

The game news feature certainly isn't part of the rationale for keeping Steam running in the background. If Steam is started with the -silent flag (the default for Steam launching at start-up), the messages only appear at all when you quit a game. I often see three, four or more appear at once because of that!

I can see the value of having an option as to whether Steam runs in the tray or not, but it's certainly not a priori the case that the current behaviour is wrong. I can't see anything in the Windows UI guidelines that says such.

At the moment, you just seem to be citing yourself in the belief that it's wrong. I would encourage you to cite a more authoritative source.

Also, as regards your idea to replace the X with a "minimise to tray" icon, I don't believe there is a standard icon for that. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong! As far as I'm aware, other programs make do with just the close button.

Fun sidebar: This whole issue is only relevant on Windows. Under Mac OS, it's normal, indeed expected, for applications to continue running in the dock after their last window is closed.
Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #57
Cosinus P. W.

Quote:
That is not my point. I do not want the application open , after I specifically hit the "x" to exit it.
Again, I fail to see how hard it is for you to understand, you're not hitting the x to exit it. It's to close the window. That X is explicitly there for that particular window and has nothing at all to do with closing the program.

Games window =/= Steam
Cosinus P. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:21 AM   #58
Berent

I have 2 applications that do this and they both annoy me.
Berent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:28 AM   #59
e_nigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berent View Post
I have 2 applications that do this and they both annoy me.
This!!!

If 90% of application exhibit a certain behaviour and you decide to do things differently, either make something really brilliant or you'll only be annoying a whole lot of people. Or at least give the option to change the behaviour, it's not like that's hard or hasn't been done.
e_nigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:45 AM   #60
yentass

Quote:
Doesn't anyone know how to debate anymore?
No sir, that's you who's being thick and refusing to read and comprehend what's said to you. Don't blame your shortcomings on others.

I'll reiterate what was said in this thread numerous times by numerous users, but I'll throw some colors and bold text in, for the sake of that slight chance that something might eventually come through:

1. Why is the functionality of the "X" such a big deal? Does it hurt you to see the Steam logo in the tray or something? Steam has its reasons to run in the tray (see point #2), and in any way - I can't fathom why on earth would somebody make such a fuss of that minor and harmless UI decision.

2. Steam downloads and updates games and the client itself, and it does it while you're not using it (a.k.a. playing a game) by default. It also saves you the client loading time you'd be running into had we had to turn it off and on every time we wanted to play a game. Here are two solid reasons why it should run in the task bar when idle. Want a debate? Go and provide two solid reasons why it shouldn't first.

3. Here's the most important one - had you quit your self entitled whining for a second and went to the aplication's settings (a.k.a the #2 most obvious action in troubleshooting of anything related to software/computers. And you've been using computers since 1970, you say?), you'd see that you can actually both turn off the launch on startup and disable steam notifications right there, in the interface tab, by merely unchecking a tick box. Elegant, and definitely more productive than throwing tantrums in a forum thread. Who knew...

Moot points require no debate. Please move on with your life.

Last edited by yentass: 05-15-2012 at 04:47 AM.
yentass is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas