Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > DiRT series

Old 05-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Batguano

Showdown: Based on the demo, $45 for this?

I am big time Codie racing game fan (except for the F1, just not my cup of tea). Dirt, Dirt2, Dirt3, and Grid are all in my Must Have Installed At All Times , and well worth the money.

But, unless there is a lot more to this release, I cannot in my wildest dream imagine paying full price for this one. It feels... cheap, I guess. Like a mod, or a DLC. Not a full fledged $45-50 full release.

Maybe the Dirt 3 demographics indicated a big multiplayer base for the Gymkhana/Cat and Mouse/Tag style games, and that is what this is aimed for.

I was kind of hoping for at least a simple demolition arena/bowl level to see what havok you could create.

All well, maybe the full version of the game will suprise me. I'll keep it on my wish list in the vain hope that Steam uses peoples wishlisted games in their Deal/Sale calculations, because right now, no way is this worth full price based on first impressions.

Bats
Old 05-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
theyarecoming4u

The full game includes large arenas for destruction derby style events, as well as city and sand tracks. It's clearly a lot more action orientated than previous games, with an obvious focus on multiplayer and timed laps (via the Steam integration). I've already played the demo for hours, which is very unusual for me - especially considering it only has the one track. I really wasn't expecting to like the demo based upon all the videos I'd seen but it really is fun.

I've take advantage of the two-pack pre-order, which makes it pretty decent value. And for those that don't want to pay full price it will likely be discounted within a couple of months if their previous releases are anything to go by.
theyarecoming4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Batguano

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyarecoming4u View Post
The full game includes large arenas for destruction derby style events, as well as city and sand tracks. It's clearly a lot more action orientated than previous games, with an obvious focus on multiplayer and timed laps (via the Steam integration). I've already played the demo for hours, which is very unusual for me - especially considering it only has the one track. I really wasn't expecting to like the demo based upon all the videos I'd seen but it really is fun.

I've take advantage of the two-pack pre-order, which makes it pretty decent value. And for those that don't want to pay full price it will likely be discounted within a couple of months if their previous releases are anything to go by.
That's what I'm hoping with the full release. A lot better selection of tracks and events.

This little figure eight just feels like a party game you play with your buds, not a real full fledge game. That's why I was wondering if it is built for multiplayer quick-in/quick-out style of play.

I'm still going to wait for this one to shake out with user input before I leap. Not sure if it will hold my interest.

Bats
Batguano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
TuZhao

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyarecoming4u View Post
I've already played the demo for hours, which is very unusual for me - especially considering it only has the one track. I really wasn't expecting to like the demo based upon all the videos I'd seen but it really is fun.
I also was kind of turned down by the videos, but I just played the demo and I found it unexpectedly fun

As I've been recently disappointed by Ridge Racer Unbounded, I thought to never preorder any other racing game in my life, but I might change my mind for Showdown. Luckily Codemasters did the right thing by releasing a demo BEFORE the game comes out!

I'm a big FlatOut / Carmageddon / Destruction Derby fan so my judgement is biased :P
TuZhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
R4IDER

The demo was fun to begin with but I think it gets slightly boring once you've played a couple of games, for me this is a title that I will pick up during a 66-75% off sale, there's no way I am ever buying a CM game on release again due to their handling of F1 2011 and unfixed bugs that resulted in me not being able to complete one co-op season.
R4IDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
AugustSecond

Not the DiRT I wanted...

DiRT 2 is my favorite racing game, but I'd held off from buying DiRT 3 since there hasn't been a demo yet. Well, I just tried out the DiRT:Showdown demo, and was very disappointed.

I recall this originally being announced as a downloadable arcade game (meaning 5 to 20 bucks on Xbox Live Arcade). When I heard it had gone full-price, I was excited (as I expected more). But this demo is really, staggeringly unimpressive.

A flat, figure 8 track with boring collisions, funny clown cars, and no pro (or even fake) voiced racers. My favorite part of DiRT 2 was the rally races, so Showdown gets it all wrong for me.

On the (only) upside, the music was excellent. Graphical fidelity is on par with DiRT 2, but the lighting on this particular course felt flat.

This experience with the Showdown demo makes me doubt the DiRT series. Should I still be looking to give DiRT 3 a try, or should I look elsewhere for my rally gaming?
AugustSecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #7
Laivasse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustSecond View Post
This experience with the Showdown demo makes me doubt the DiRT series. Should I still be looking to give DiRT 3 a try, or should I look elsewhere for my rally gaming?
DiRT: Showdown can in some ways be considered the offspring of DiRT 3, since D:S was created to accommodate the fans of the arcadey, non-rally events in D3. The main dividing issue for critics of D3 was, I think, the inclusion of several Gymkhana events that many people disliked for various reasons. I understand that some fans considered D3 a bit of a dilution of earlier DiRTs.

Personally I like DiRT 3, dislike everything I've seen of DiRT: Showdown, but haven't played DiRT 2. The rally racing in D3 is strong, especially the handling which is superb and doesn't deserve to be compared to Showdown in any way. There are some nice rally cars, including the new Mini WRC and some Group B greats, although several are locked away in DLC. However there is a lack of variety in the rally tracks and most are pretty short (something that Codemasters say is a limitation of the game engine). What made D3 enjoyable for me was that I quite liked the non-rally events - particularly the superb interpretation of Battersea Power Station which made me nostalgic for London - although not nearly as much as the pure racing events.

So the question of whether you would like DiRT3 is a matter of what your tolerance is for non-rally racing. There is some good, enjoyable rally in it, but you will be required to spend time in several events that aren't rally at all. If you enjoy racing in a general sense and also enjoy trying to master the handling of non-rally cars, in non-rally events, then you'll find little to dislike in DiRT3, but in that case I'd also urge you to consider GRiD, which I consider to be DiRT 3's superior (even graphically).

Last edited by Laivasse: 05-14-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Laivasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:45 AM   #8
KazzyMac

You guys are aware there IS a multiplayer event in the demo, right?

All you need to do is to try and send a challenge in the SP to a friend (it doesn't matter if they even have the game or not - just attempt to send them a challenge) and it should unlock the multiplayer demo.

Since the OP was asking about whether there was a demolition derby event - the multiplayer is a demolition derby event. Hereafter known as Rampage. I have a feeling that not many people might have worked out on PC how to unlock it, hence why I'm saying. It gives you the opportunity to test out the online system against other players provided others are online, although since it's a demo the game kicks you out after 2 online games and you have to restart the MP session.

It also lets you rank up in the Fanbase which in turn gives you money to upgrade the cars.

(I also just checked as as of testing for this I had no friends who played the game, and I can get into Multiplayer so it evidently works if you just try to send a challenge to somebody on your Steam friends list.)
KazzyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
Padgey2011

i am sure like dirt 3 that dirt showdown will have countless DLC with new cars and locations to pay extra money for, i own all the dirt games on steam but have decided to give this one a miss till a sale, im holding out for dirt 4
Padgey2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
zRad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgey2011 View Post
i am sure like dirt 3 that dirt showdown will have countless DLC with new cars and locations to pay extra money for, i own all the dirt games on steam but have decided to give this one a miss till a sale, im holding out for dirt 4
Same here, I didn't feel like $45 is the right price tag for this. I did bought the game for about $25 though, people on eBay selling their key from the AMD promo, already activated it and preloading the game.
zRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
DJ Thunder Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustSecond View Post
DiRT 2 is my favorite racing game, but I'd held off from buying DiRT 3 since there hasn't been a demo yet. Well, I just tried out the DiRT:Showdown demo, and was very disappointed.

I recall this originally being announced as a downloadable arcade game (meaning 5 to 20 bucks on Xbox Live Arcade). When I heard it had gone full-price, I was excited (as I expected more). But this demo is really, staggeringly unimpressive.

A flat, figure 8 track with boring collisions, funny clown cars, and no pro (or even fake) voiced racers. My favorite part of DiRT 2 was the rally races, so Showdown gets it all wrong for me.

On the (only) upside, the music was excellent. Graphical fidelity is on par with DiRT 2, but the lighting on this particular course felt flat.

If you liked Dirt 2, you should definitely check out the original. It's the best of the Dirt series.
DJ Thunder Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:50 AM   #12
KazzyMac

The content in the Demo is rather poor, but remember THERE IS A HIDDEN MULTIPLAYER MODE. which in itself is quite fun.

Also, look on Youtube for gameplay footage. There is footage on I think gamespot's channel of other game modes and tracks (Race Off, Joyride, Knockout, etc). The additional game modes DO look a lot of fun; I particularly enjoyed watching the Smash & Grab demo, which was basically just a team Tag game in a huge dirt arena. If any of you had played Driver: SF, it's markedly similar to the 'capture the flag' mode except you're just aiming to hold the 'flag' rather than transport it anywhere. I suppose there's probably a separate game mode for that.

It's certainly no Dirt 4, but I think it'll pull its weight in the 'get drunk and have fun with your mates' field. Hell, I was skeptical of the game at first from the demo, until I found out how to play the Rampage mode in it. That somewhat changed my opinion.

I'll miss Outbreak though; that was my favourite game mode in dirt 3 (aside from rallycross/circuit races)
KazzyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > DiRT series