Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther

Old 05-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
brisck1

thechineseroom
MacOSX issues.

Hi all!

This sticky thread is the official place for you to report any bugs, glitches, or other problems you had whilst playing Dear Esther specifically in Mac/OSX so that I can keep track of them and try to help out where I can!

Wherever possible please post Screenshots as it would help me immensely, as well as your system specs and the what setting you're playing the game with.

Lets keep this thread as clean as possible and only post about bugs, otherwise it will make it a lot harder for me to address them.

For those of you experiencing crashes or glitches, please don't forget to post your Mac specs/OS version/etc. as it would help us greatly.

I apologise for anyone having trouble running the game, please be patient with us, there's only two of us working with limited resources right now and I'll keep you informed as to any progress we make.

Original thread post by ultramalakian:
Quote:
Congrats on making this game SteamPlayable. After a quick run, I've found some issues when running the game on a MacBookPro 5,5 (8 GB RAM)

-Sometimes, for no apparent reason, the game freezes completely, this last for about 2 minutes or so, and then it gets back to normal.
-After entering the ocean and listening to the "Come back" thingy, all the game is seen pitch black, only some shadows or silhouettes can be recognized. It gets back to normal after a moment though (One minute or so, I think.)

I'll keep searching for mure bugs and issues, if there were any, but overall, that's it. Thanks again for letting us Mac users experience this adventure.

Last edited by brisck1: 05-21-2012 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Merged with bug reporting introduction
Old 05-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
FuzzyPuffin

Won't even run for me. It thinks Steam isn't running.
FuzzyPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
thechineseroom

thechineseroom
Thanks folks - we'll log all of these tonight (getting late here) and get straight onto them first thing tomorrow

Thanks
Dan
thechineseroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
brisck1

thechineseroom
Hi guys, thanks for posting your bugs, screen shots and system info is very useful to us in fixing problems, thanks!

-Rob

Old 05-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
FuzzyPuffin

I'm on Lion, 10.7.3. The full error message is:

"Steam Authentication Error:

The Steam service was not detected, please make sure youíre are running Steam before running the game."

I get it after the "in collaboration with..." screen
Old 05-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
brisck1

thechineseroom
try restarting your system and running again. Did you buy the game via Steam?

Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
FuzzyPuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisck1 View Post
try restarting your system and running again. Did you buy the game via Steam?
Same result. Yes, I bought it via steam.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
ultramalakian

My Mac Book Pro specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.47f2

I'm running the game under Snow Leopard, latest version. As I said, only those two issues are present, sometimes I get a strange sound "hiccup", but it may be anything. Right now, I'd say it works for me at a 95% so it's pretty smooth.
Just the annoying pitch black thing after emerging from the sea. I was thinking about putting an image but... really, it's just, the game goes all dark, just like that.
ultramalakian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
FuzzyPuffin

Got it to work. I reinstalled steam, and moved my SteamApps folder over. I had some issues with Source earlier, so it was probably unrelated to Dear Esther.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:26 AM   #10
brisck1

thechineseroom
ok cool, glad to hear it!

Old 05-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
jeanlain

I finished the game with no issue to report, except that, at some point, I saw the lighthouse disappear just before it was out of the view.
Great experience.
jeanlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
xearofury

Cannot save or load game!

I'm using mac osx lion and I've played until the wreck part, i have up to that point been regularly saving the game by pressing f6, to which the notification stated it had 'saved' i then quit for a while and load the game again, there is only the option to start game, choose some options or to quit, no load game, when i click start the wreck part is greyed out!

I then did a small test and started again and went through a small bit in the game and saved then tried to using the quick load key. I did this and nothing loads.

I therefore cannot play the game at all! any ideas?
xearofury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
AdventureAlex

I'm running 10.5.8 and my game crashes right after the 'preparing to open' dialog box; I haven't so much as seen the title screen yet. I've verified my cache, checked for updates, uninstalled and re-installed, disabled my antivirus software, and turned the whole thing off and on again, but still no dice. I'm downloading Snow Leopard as we speak to see if that changes anything.

Any help?
AdventureAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
brisck1

thechineseroom
Hi, The game requires at least MAC OS X 10.6.7 or higher, as specified in the minimum specs on Steam.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #15
phmayor

requesting refund

I've tried to play this game twice now and it won't save any of my work. I have to start at the very beginning again each time. All chapters except the first are greyed out.

I'm on a MacBook Pro running the latest OSX Lion. There are no problems other than the saving/restoring, all chapters greyed out issue.

Last edited by phmayor: 06-23-2012 at 03:50 AM.
phmayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther