Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Spy

Old 05-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #31
Aznbkd19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabby stabby View Post
Earnestly curious--not saying this has anything to do with the legitimacy of your opinion, to be clear--have you played HL in any leagues?

I'm a true DR advocate, but in my experience the IW is about even with the DR in its utility, given the situation.
Lenny seems to play on a Euro HL team. From the looks of it, he has some pretty good aim with the Amby.

Honestly the gunspies are usually the ones that think the DR is the strongest watch. It makes sense too given its capabilities when gun might not be enough.
Aznbkd19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:45 AM   #32
fainta

Quote:
I actually remember that lobby, since he got in a big tizzy with a fellow -ts- member....I'd post a link to the logs for that game, and direct this pyro's attention to who top-fragged and how many medic picks he got. But hey, let the man dream
ahh...so he wasn't even doing his job.
n1 bro...
lmao
fainta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:57 AM   #33
r_a_k

Noone sane would say that you cannot score nice kills with DR + Enforce/Amby (ok, Enforcer being banned in most leagues, but..). Problem is, that killing is just a half of Spy job. The other half is working behind enemy lines, killing teles, sapping sentries in crucial moments, reporting enemy positions and status etc.

If Spy concentrates just on killing, esp with gun, sad truth is he is playing extra Sniper or extra Scout for his team. I have such Spy on my regular FFA server, where he can get nice scores etc. However, when we took him to show HL a bit, he decided it isn't for him

tl/dr: I don't have anything about Spy players who favorize gun over knife. I just think, that they cannot concentrate 100% on fragging
r_a_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #34
Novanious90675

Banned
Quote:
I actually remember that lobby, since he got in a big tizzy with a fellow -ts- member....I'd post a link to the logs for that game, and direct this pyro's attention to who top-fragged and how many medic picks he got. But hey, let the man dream
touche. However, I never said you were bad, just not the best.

Also, I've been in more than one lobby with you.
Novanious90675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #35
ShellShocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSurprise View Post
it works too well to not do
proTIP vs. Amigmar

Change name to walk bckwards; stab ppl

Oh memories.
ShellShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #36
Makarni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novanious90675 View Post
touche. However, I never said you were bad, just not the best.

Also, I've been in more than one lobby with you.
Where pyro is a solid counter to spy.. i don't see spy as anywhere near a solid counter to anything, even engi. The spy has many ways to be avoided and alot of it depends on the other players skill to deal with a spy. Direct contact with a pyro is more times than not death for spy, unless their nabs or you get a rather lucky trick stab (the pyro slacking or a noob).

How can you base the level of any spy's skill when you are playing a class that so heavily counters it?. Do you base it on the fact X spy killed you more times than Y spy?. I don't know stabby at all.. don't care if he is best or not, i just find your position as a pyro not fit to make any conclusion on who is better than who.

Ofc.. im aware your slightly trolling it, or envy/attention ho'ing.

Last edited by Makarni: 05-15-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Makarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #37
CCS

OP:

I wrote a guide a while ago, if you are interested:

http://www.ugcleague.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10276
CCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #38
stabby stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarni View Post
I don't know stabby at all.. don't care if he is best or not,
Thanks. This is really the position I'd like for people to take for all but their closest friends and most familiar opponents. With over 1,000 lobbies and 3300+ hours of spy, a rather disheartening number of people out there seem to be authorities on me after a handful of encounters, if that.

I also don't care if I'm the best, I just get a bit exasperated with being judged and talked down by a snapshot.

Pardon my being a sensitive little flower....I try to let this stuff roll off my back, and understand that it comes with the territory of putting myself out there, but every now and then I miss a night's sleep or somesuch and slip up with a response.

Last edited by stabby stabby: 05-15-2012 at 12:27 PM.
stabby stabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #39
CaptainSurprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShocker View Post
proTIP vs. Amigmar

Change name to walk bckwards; stab ppl

Oh memories.
Good times. Shame I couldn't spectate due to lack of computer :c
CaptainSurprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #40
DarkNecrid

People need to chill with the fantascism/hatred on Stabby, he's a great Spy but some people take it too far just cause he puts himself out there. There was a guy on GameFAQs who tried to discredit an argument about Spy by telling me to "go watch Stabby's videos and come back to me" because "he's virtually unstoppable".

Some people gotta learn to let someones skill stand on their own man :/ The exact same thing happens with STAR and it's very annoying, those people actually wind up making STAR look bad to others with that kind of behavior. Stabby doesn't really deserve that.

As far as OP goes, the same way you become good at anything - practice it. Really simple, but it works.

Last edited by DarkNecrid: 05-17-2012 at 05:39 AM.
DarkNecrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:07 AM   #41
Makarni

Quote:
Thanks. This is really the position I'd like for people to take for all but their closest friends and most familiar opponents. With over 1,000 lobbies and 3300+ hours of spy, a rather disheartening number of people out there seem to be authorities on me after a handful of encounters, if that.

I also don't care if I'm the best, I just get a bit exasperated with being judged and talked down by a snapshot.

Pardon my being a sensitive little flower....I try to let this stuff roll off my back, and understand that it comes with the territory of putting myself out there, but every now and then I miss a night's sleep or somesuch and slip up with a response.
Years ago i was the best player in a fps game. Half the comunity banned me from their servers acusing me of hacking. Some even downloaded map hacks just to kill me. I use to argue o nthe forums alot trying to clear my name.. was'nt nice being called a cheat.

I quickly learned to just ignore it and draw compliment from the envious negitivity, that's all it realy is.
Makarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #42
Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNecrid View Post
People need to chill with the fantascism/hatred on Stabby, he's a great Spy but some people take it too far just cause he puts himself out there. There was a guy on GameFAQs who tried to discredit an argument about Spy by telling me to "go watch Stabby's videos and come back to me" because "he's virtually unstoppable".

Some people gotta learn to let someones skill stand on their own man :/ The exact same thing happens with STAR and it's very annoying, those people actually wind up making STAR look bad to others with that kind of behavior. Stabby doesn't really deserve that.

As far as OP goes, the same way you become good at anything - practice it. Really simple, but it works.
There's a difference between STAR and Stabby. STAR's kind of a , especially on his server. Stabby on the other hand, during the few times I've fought against him, was very polite and humble. And a good shot to boot. Is he unstoppable? Nah. Nobody in this game is truly unstoppable. But that doesn't matter. What really matters is your attitude and way you carry yourself on and off game, and for that, I tip my hat to you, Stabby.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #43
DarkNecrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
There's a difference between STAR and Stabby. STAR's kind of a , especially on his server. Stabby on the other hand, during the few times I've fought against him, was very polite and humble. And a good shot to boot. Is he unstoppable? Nah. Nobody in this game is truly unstoppable. But that doesn't matter. What really matters is your attitude and way you carry yourself on and off game, and for that, I tip my hat to you, Stabby.
Oh yeah, for sure, but that kind of attitude can still wind up making people be annoyed at him in the long run (at no fault of his own) just coz that's really annoying. Stabby is a good guy, but there are deffo people that actually think stuff like that and try to put people down with it, I'm just saying people need to let his skill speak for itself instead of trying to hype him to ridiculous heights. Not that Stabby can really do anything about that, it's not his fault some of his fans are a tad crazy.
DarkNecrid is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Spy