Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #1936
ElderSnake
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Reputation: 21
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratican View Post
TBH with Windows 7 I'm actually quite surprised how many people still seem to hate Windows for some reason - you'd think people would have learnt how to tame the OS by now (as if Linux doesn't have its own set of problems), but there you go.
Windows 7 in itself generally works fine, there's no doubt what a mega improvement it was over previous Micro$oft products.

But it's still a behemoth and many of us also don't appreciate the M$ way of doing things or the vendor lock in. I prefer the freedom of Linux, even if there are some glitches or stuff to sort out along the way.

For the general public though, Windows 8 could be a whole different story. Especially for gamers, Metro could be very very bad. I've got no doubt there will be 3rd party packs to download to disable that stuff though.
ElderSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #1937
PostalDude
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Reputation: 25
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderSnake View Post
Windows 7 in itself generally works fine, there's no doubt what a mega improvement it was over previous Micro$oft products.

But it's still a behemoth and many of us also don't appreciate the M$ way of doing things or the vendor lock in. I prefer the freedom of Linux, even if there are some glitches or stuff to sort out along the way.

For the general public though, Windows 8 could be a whole different story. Especially for gamers, Metro could be very very bad. I've got no doubt there will be 3rd party packs to download to disable that stuff though.
Doesn't Win8 have a KillSwitch built in to it similar to iOS and Android?
PostalDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #1938
ElderSnake
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Reputation: 21
Posts: 248
Steam is for me an acceptable form of DRM. With great deals, the Community system, and the ability to access and download the games I own on any computer is nice.

Besides which, I still sometimes buy retail games especially the ones that come with all the special edition goodies that I can actually hold and touch and I can still just run those games through Steam and take advantage of the Steam overlay and talk to my friends seamlessly. And Valve are a loveable company M$...not so much.

However Windows is an entire operating system, whereas Steam is but a program and a service. As soon as Steam and even just the Source games come to Linux, it's Ta Ta Windows (for me)
ElderSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #1939
ElderSnake
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Reputation: 21
Posts: 248
I can if it's a mega corporation with the mass control Microsoft has

Yes if the service and software is better than all others but there's some obvious lock-in, like say Steam, I guess sometimes you have to make some sacrifices. I think it's more M$'s particular practices of it that irk me mostly though.
Let's face it, any vendor will try to lock you in some way. Even Ubuntu might be trying it with the Software Centre. But we still have choice in Linux no matter what.

But look it's just a personal opinion. I personally also find Windows to be incredibly boring, but other people probably don't care and just use it to get things done. There's nothing wrong with that.

BTW, on a side note, just because someone develops proprietery software for Linux doesn't mean it has to be free >_> I don't get where people get these misconceptions.
ElderSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #1940
PostalDude
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Reputation: 25
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderSnake View Post
I can if it's a mega corporation with the mass control Microsoft has

Yes if the service and software is better than all others but there's some obvious lock-in, like say Steam, I guess sometimes you have to make some sacrifices. I think it's more M$'s particular practices of it that irk me mostly though.
Let's face it, any vendor will try to lock you in some way. Even Ubuntu might be trying it with the Software Centre. But we still have choice in Linux no matter what.

But look it's just a personal opinion. I personally also find Windows to be incredibly boring, but other people probably don't care and just use it to get things done. There's nothing wrong with that.

BTW, on a side note, just because someone develops proprietery software for Linux doesn't mean it has to be free >_> I don't get where people get these misconceptions.
RMS. He has some principles I can kind of vibe with, but for the most part he's kind of a jerk.
PostalDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #1941
ElderSnake
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Reputation: 21
Posts: 248
Oh yeah, well, RMS...

I agree, I like some of his ideas and I love what he was able to create (obviously a genius with computers) but yeah beyond that, there's a lot of stuff that is hard to agree with.
ElderSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #1942
ubuntu-gaming
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 11
Posts: 44
New Oil Rush Update: http://oilrush-game.com/forum/index....7489#entry7489
ubuntu-gaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #1943
zeroadhesion
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 2
Steam Alpha for Linux: http://onny.project-insanity.org/files/steam.tar.bz2

Source: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=58786
zeroadhesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #1944
ifss
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Reputation: 54
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroadhesion View Post
That's the Steam client that was accidentally put up for download in 2010, it's not a new version.
ifss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #1945
Cheeseness
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 88
Posts: 700
New IndieRoyale bundle has a Linux game (Osmos) and supports charities.
Cheeseness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #1946
xpander69
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Reputation: 4
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseness View Post
New IndieRoyale bundle has a Linux game (Osmos) and supports charities.
wow thats really "new" game... hehe
well better than nothing i guess


still waiting for the "announced" linux steam dev blog to be opened up.
dont remember where from i read it..i think it was some email to Gabe by someone.
xpander69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #1947
zeroadhesion
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifss View Post
That's the Steam client that was accidentally put up for download in 2010, it's not a new version.
Oh, sorry for my ignorance
zeroadhesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #1948
ifss
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Reputation: 54
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroadhesion View Post
Oh, sorry for my ignorance
....?
ifss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #1949
Cheeseness
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 88
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander69 View Post
wow thats really "new" game... hehe
well better than nothing i guess
Why does it have to be "new"? Many of the Humble Bundle titles had been out for years when they were included.

Plus, Osmos is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander69 View Post
still waiting for the "announced" linux steam dev blog to be opened up.
dont remember where from i read it..i think it was some email to Gabe by someone.
Unfortunately, an email to an individual doesn't constitute an "announcement"

It seems that Stallman is under the impression it's been "announced" as well.

I suspect that many will probably ignore what he's saying and miss the real message that if Valve does bring Steam to Linux, it'll be bringing along a lot of DRM and proprietary development culture, and that's something that's important to be aware of (you can still be for it - you just have to make sure you're not ignorant of the issues).
Cheeseness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #1950
PieKitten
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Reputation: 506
Posts: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifss View Post
That's the Steam client that was accidentally put up for download in 2010, it's not a new version.
I wouldnt even dl it because its linked to an different site then STeam it self
PieKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.