Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 05-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
TheGreatGazoo

Do I need C++ 2005?
TheGreatGazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #17
Bad_Motha

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatGazoo View Post
Do I need C++ 2005?
While the ATI/AMD installers may not require Visual C++ 2005, alot of other software does.

Best to just have all those ones I listed installed, to cover all bases. They are all small too, so can't really hurt to have them.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #18
TheGreatGazoo

OK, I just noticed that I only have 08+10 now. Don't think I had 05 on my old system either.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #19
Bad_Motha

Banned
Alot of times, installers tend to have an older Visual C++ runtime with it's installer. Best way around that is uninstall all the Visual C++ you have on your system. Reboot, and then install the 2005, 2008, 2010 ones that are all SP1 Redist versions. Install the x64 versions first, then the x86 versions. Once those are on your system, you shouldn't have any more issues related to Visual C++. When you try installing a program or game and you already have the later versions installed, the older installs of Visual C++ will be skipped. Which is what you want to happen.

Just be sure to check Windows Updates after installing these (after a reboot), as there will be small security updates for them.

Again, while the ATI/AMD installers might not use the 2005 version, other programs/games do, so it's best that it be installed.

I make it a priority to install these when I do a clean OS install now. Along with DirectX June 2010 Redist installer.

Last edited by Bad_Motha: 05-15-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #20
A-spase

i have the same problem there i get message that host stop working and that message appears after every 5 or so min.reloading automatically.what i did instal CCleaner deleted whole folder with ati installer .from device manager uninstall whole drivers restarted computer the windows automatically download drivers .then i restart pc to safe mode with network deleted whole drivers again with CCleaner ,restarted again.get download drivers for vga from windows automatically again .instal the ATI installer .and restarted again .and i newer get any problem again.its long process with restarting computer if u did everything right ,it works.
A-spase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #21
TheGreatGazoo

Did a Windows system reapair, although my OS install is fresh.

Downloaded all the files needed for the following steps.

Unplugged my LAN cable.

Removed Avira, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

Removed old drivers with Catalyst Install Manager, rebooted in safe mode and removed the leftover folders. Restarted again and ran a diskcleaner.

Removed C++, restarted and reinstalled.

Removed .NET, restarted and reinstalled. Did a ngen.exe executequeueditems

Removed and reinstalled DirectX.

Ran the newest driver package as admin, got a package fail seconds later...

- Im done spending time on this and to be honest Im done with AMD. Not trying to be dramatic or anything but this will be my last AMD card.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #22
A-spase

why u using catalyst manager .i uninstall mine.i used just for gpu overclock.my rig was old ,actually i didnt get big improvement .after that i try game booster it didnt help a lot.so now i with NVidia AND get game freezing i check Event Wiever google the eror code.and find out it causing NVidia drivers,can be corrupted .so i have to reinstall them.and be shore mine 32 bit and i was getting message catalyst control manager host stop working.
A-spase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #23
Sjeik

STOP INVESTING TIME !!

I spent a day trying to get 12.4 installed, I did everything but a clean windows install. I was running 2 HD6850s in crossfire.

Then I humored myself and took out the HD6850s and replaced them with a single HD6950 and guess what... ccc 12.4 installed. My only explanation is that 12.4 doesn't like crossfire.
Sjeik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #24
TheGreatGazoo

Ive never used CCC and I don't really care about it. I just lose a lot of respect for a company when stuff like this becomes an issue. The work Ive put into this has not been to get CCC but to convince myself that my system isn't faulty.

No wonder PC gaming is fading out, people hate to waste time on issues like this. That's really the only thing the consoles can offer (perhaps besides are more social aspect); stability.

Ive sent an email to AMD, looking forward to hearing their comments.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems