Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 10-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #46
Zamav

Don't buy it, problem solved.

If there's significant amount of people not buying it, then they'll reduce the price, if not, more power to you for buying it at such a cheaper price.

How is this thread worthy and why it gets popped every week?
Zamav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #47
the.prophet

So I found this old topic of me a bit later in time and went to see the links lol and guess, or just see yourself lol.

amazon: £5.67 aka 7eur
steam: 49,99eur

4 copies on amazon: 28 eur
4pack steam: 149,97 eur

naize! i cant belive its still there as fullprice title compared to everywhere else where you can get it for like an apple n' egg..
the.prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #48
ChrisW

It is great that you discovered the retail version (sold by the retail publisher) is cheaper than the Steam version (price set by the retail publisher). I'm sure the retail publisher (EA) does not have a financial reason for wanting to set the prices that way.
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #49
Mr SmokesAlot

Banned
50 euros lmfao
Mr SmokesAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #50
Zephon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.prophet View Post
So I found this old topic of me a bit later in time and went to see the links lol and guess, or just see yourself lol.

amazon: £5.67 aka 7eur
steam: 49,99eur

4 copies on amazon: 28 eur
4pack steam: 149,97 eur

naize! i cant belive its still there as fullprice title compared to everywhere else where you can get it for like an apple n' egg..
not really sure why this is an issue for you. the amazon copies are DVD, they purchased those at full price and are only discounting it to get rid of them, because nobody wants them.

sales like This arent a negative against Steam its just a positive for gamers, even more so if they prefer to have a physical disk.
Zephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #51
Gaikai

I love how Steam raise the prices before they put them on sale. Reminds me of this.
Gaikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #52
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaikai View Post
I love how Steam raise the prices before they put them on sale. Reminds me of this.
THEY (Valve) don't raise the prices, because they don't set them (contrary to what that strange urban myth says).

The only people who set the prices are those that are legally entitled to do so - the owners, which of course are the developers and/or publishers concerned.

So, if you want to blame someone, blame them.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:25 AM   #53
klaount

Amazon has a bulk of physical copies to get rid of.

Steam doesn't, and even if they cut the price in half it wouldn't sell at all, so why bother.
klaount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:29 AM   #54
Stardust260

That isn't Steam's fault.
See, EA sets the cost for the game.
On Amazon, people sell the game by themself. They put it for cheaper than usual so people will buy it.
Stardust260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #55
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust260 View Post
That isn't Steam's fault.
See, EA sets the cost for the game.
On Amazon, people sell the game by themself. They put it for cheaper than usual so people will buy it.
Yes, I should have also mentioned this in my post above.

To those who are blaming Valve for price discrepancies, as I've already stated, it is nothing to do with them, as their hands are tied. They CANNOT change the games' prices (unless it's one of their games, of course).

Furthermore, do bear in mind that as Stardust rightly points out, with the physical copies of the game such as those found on Amazon the situation is rather different too.

With Steam, for example, they are for want of a better description, a broker. Amongst other things (such as Steamworks) they advertise the respective games for sale, activating the licence once you've paid. They never own the games at any point.

However, with physical boxed copies, a retailer such as Amazon will buy a large amount wholesale at whatever price they negotiate for them. At that point, once they've paid, they own them IN ENTIRETY, and do what the hell they like with them (within reason, of course). So, they are free to charge whatever price they wish, even give them away, as they have legal ownership.

Steam (Valve) never have this, so they cannot state prices. It's as straightforward as that.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #56
DassJennir

Darkspore is only 19,90U$ in the store here :S
DassJennir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #57
cryptload

Brazil Steam store:

Darkspore
single copy: $20
4pack: $150

lol
cryptload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #58
serieus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaount View Post
Amazon has a bulk of physical copies to get rid of.

Steam doesn't, and even if they cut the price in half it wouldn't sell at all, so why bother.
Amazon is doing a lot of downloadable games just like Steam is, so I would assume that the idea that Amazon is cheaper than Steam on those specific purchases because they have bulk stock doesn't work in those situations. I'm not sure if the publishers/developers have access to changing the price of their games on Amazon as they do via Steam. Eventually, I imagine that Amazon will be a download only service as most publishers will eventually go to download only as well, it's becoming too expensive to do the whole packaging of their game. I say once the next generation consoles come out we'll be seeing a whole lot less store shelves used for video games and much more download only games. That's just my opinion though!
serieus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #59
Phatmillips

i dont understand these threads

steam isnt the only place in the world where you can buy games - if its cheaper elsewhere buy it there
Phatmillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:56 AM   #60
Mob_zter

Amazon Download games are always cheaper than steam.. Amazon got lots of deals every day.. Lots of deals are cheaper than Steam.. Just wait for the summer sale .. Amazon Vs Steam.. its a war
Mob_zter is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion