Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks

Old 05-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
kurabess

Back up Railwork Installation?

Questions.
If must,... to where?...I only have drive C.
Do I have to, and why?
I will be downloading http://www.smmdigital.net/nsand.html
Above "read me" warning "back up"
Members,need Your opinion.

Thank,s.
Jack.

Last edited by kurabess: 05-16-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
peterhayes

KB
All I did was make a folder called RWBackUp and copied the whole railworks folder into that. FYI my railworks folder is nearly 70GB so I hope that your single HDD is a biggie!
The other method maybe is to use windows live, dropbox or other web based storage and synchronise the railworks folder to the web. Of course at the sizes we are talking about storage fees will apply.
Regards
pH
peterhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
kurabess

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhayes View Post
KB
All I did was make a folder called RWBackUp and copied the whole railworks folder into that. FYI my railworks folder is nearly 70GB so I hope that your single HDD is a biggie!
The other method maybe is to use windows live, dropbox or other web based storage and synchronise the railworks folder to the web. Of course at the sizes we are talking about storage fees will apply.
Regards
pH
Peterhayes Hello.
Thank,s for reply,will post further details tomorrow.
Jack.
kurabess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
fozmcfc

No back up drive is madness if your C drive breaks you'll end up having to download everything again and those not bought VIA steam will have to be all downloaded and reinstalled individually.

Easiest way make a back up to a separate drive or even another computer or laptop and if you need to reinstall then put steam back on and copy everything from the external drive or computer or laptop to the installation folder. In particular that means no downloading and installing everything again, particularly those not bought VIA steam.
fozmcfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:01 AM   #5
SEASTKING

Everytime I try something like a backup for my Steam files,It goes seriously wrong,and I have never managed to do a backup all the time I have had RW.
SEASTKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #6
fozmcfc

As above no real need to backup VIA steam. Simply go into your installation folder and copy and paste everything to another folder/drive/computer/laptop.

If your hard drive fails then just reinstall steam and copy and paste everything back.

Afterwards you will probably have to verify the cache on steam and clear the blueprints in the railworks program but that's it. You may not even have to do that.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #7
SEASTKING

Thanks: I have managed to get it all on a 16GB flash drive.I just wonder what will happen when I get a new computer and I need to load it.Or for that matter,do you have to reinstall Steam or is it already on the backup?

Last edited by SEASTKING: 05-16-2012 at 04:55 AM.
SEASTKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:00 AM   #8
kurabess

Thank,s for answering my questions.
I have hard drive that I removed from my previous computer,it has vista op on it, if I hook up HD to my computer as a 2nd drive,will that work as a storage device, or to buy new external drive.
Thank,s.
Jack.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:20 AM   #9
fozmcfc

I have a drive from my old pc in my current computer I just formatted it then use it as a storage drive as well, so I don't see why not.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
kurabess

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozmcfc View Post
I have a drive from my old pc in my current computer I just formatted it then use it as a storage drive as well, so I don't see why not.
Thank,s will do just that,...maybe. Just a general question regarding 2nd HD. Hopefully I will be able to install into my comp. as back up drive, do I leave "vista" op on the HD or I have to change to WIN 7. I never transfer anything to anywhere via comp. so I am absolutely new at this. I have other option of safe guarding data. One of the reputable programs I use, offers data storage for few $$ more since I use their services. Do You think this is better way of data storage then installing 2nd HD. Thanks again.
Jack.

Last edited by kurabess: 05-16-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #11
alamoman

Back up Railwork Installation?

I favor using Acronis True Image for making an image of my entire hard drive to an external disk. With Acronis I can restore a single file, a directory, or my entire hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurabess View Post
Questions.
If must,... to where?...I only have drive C.
Do I have to, and why?
I will be downloading http://www.smmdigital.net/nsand.html
Above "read me" warning "back up"
Members,need Your opinion.
Since I learn, how to, work/install exe.rwp.rar. files I had no problems either downloading or installing,files.
I have most if not all free/donation/payware packs.
Thank,s.
Jack.
alamoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #12
kurabess

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamoman View Post
I favor using Acronis True Image for making an image of my entire hard drive to an external disk. With Acronis I can restore a single file, a directory, or my entire hard drive.
Thanks for Your reply.
Jack.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #13
fozmcfc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurabess View Post
Thank,s will do just that,...maybe. Just a general question regarding 2nd HD. Hopefully I will be able to install into my comp. as back up drive, do I leave "vista" op on the HD or I have to change to WIN 7. I never transfer anything to anywhere via comp. so I am absolutely new at this. I have other option of safe guarding data. One of the reputable programs I use, offers data storage for few $$ more since I use their services. Do You think this is better way of data storage then installing 2nd HD. Thanks again.
Jack.
What I did was put the drive in the PC connected up, then after windows loaded, I selected the drive and formatted it, so it was clean.

Then use it as a secondary drive, I wouldn't personally leave windows on it.

Easiest way though is to get an external drive, even an 80gb should be enough and won't cost anymore than £25-£30, or roughly the same in any other currency and transfer everything to it. Double the cost and you could easily get a 400gb + drive.

Depends how much you can afford to spend, if the answer is nothing lol, then prehaps see if a friend has one they don't want or even they wouldn't mind you copying your railworks folder to, just incase your hard drive breaks.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #14
kurabess

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozmcfc View Post
What I did was put the drive in the PC connected up, then after windows loaded, I selected the drive and formatted it, so it was clean.

Then use it as a secondary drive, I wouldn't personally leave windows on it.

Easiest way though is to get an external drive, even an 80gb should be enough and won't cost anymore than £25-£30, or roughly the same in any other currency and transfer everything to it. Double the cost and you could easily get a 400gb + drive.

Depends how much you can afford to spend, if the answer is nothing lol, then prehaps see if a friend has one they don't want or even they wouldn't mind you copying your railworks folder to, just incase your hard drive breaks.
Go it. External drive. Case closed,...I think

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks