Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 05-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Zillerz

Portal 2 Crashes while loading an auto-save

Hello everyone,

So while enjoying PeTI, I started building a big map, my portal 2 randomly crashed. I forgot to save and almost got a heart attack the first time but luckily auto-save saved me.

When I get to this screen (Image) and click Load, it finishes but then just exits out of the game (no error shown). I don't want to discard of that file because I've worked hours on it and for all of it to just disappear would be heartbreaking.

I looked at the Portal 2 folder and found a bunch of crash files such as "portal2_4924_crash_2012_5_12T17_46_3C0.mdmp" I have about 10 of them because thats how many times i tried loading the map. I dont know how to open that file I tried notepad but nothings useful in it. All the files are around 150 - 180kb.

How do I fix the problem? I tried verifying and defragging portal 2 files.

Thanks, Zillerz

Last edited by Zillerz: 05-12-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Zillerz

Still happening, no current fix yet.
Zillerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Daddu

no idea, sounds like the auto-save feature of the editor is messed up, have not seen it auto-save yet so cant be sure.

i do get strange errors from time to time in the editor, slow downs/screen goes full white, and cant see my level.. however the menu is active when this happens so i just save then quit and reload.

best thing i can think of without knowing the problem, is save often, even after small changes.. so when it does stuff up you only have to repeat the last 2mins of work maybe.

and next time it asks to load auto-save, i would click no and load my own save.

none of this helps you atm though i guess... hope you get it worked out.
Daddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:24 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
YMalaika

Valve
This might be caused by a bad .bsp file.

When the editor loads a .p2c puzzle file, it also loads the associated .bsp, which is the compiled-for-game game version of the .p2c file. If you have a lot of items in your .p2c, it can result in too many entities in the .bsp, and the game will crash when it tries to load it.

A workaround to get your puzzle open again is to delete the offending .bsp. Then you can delete some items. The bsps for maps you are authoring live here:

Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\portal2\maps\puzzlemaker\

You can safely delete all the .bsps and folders under here, since they get rebuilt from your .p2c files every time you build or publish. If that doesn't fix the problem, it would be helpful if you could send us the .mdmp files.

Thanks for your patience everyone, we're currently working to fix the most serious bugs, and this is one of them.
YMalaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Zillerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMalaika View Post
This might be caused by a bad .bsp file.

When the editor loads a .p2c puzzle file, it also loads the associated .bsp, which is the compiled-for-game game version of the .p2c file. If you have a lot of items in your .p2c, it can result in too many entities in the .bsp, and the game will crash when it tries to load it.

A workaround to get your puzzle open again is to delete the offending .bsp. Then you can delete some items. The bsps for maps you are authoring live here:

Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\portal2\maps\puzzlemaker\

You can safely delete all the .bsps and folders under here, since they get rebuilt from your .p2c files every time you build or publish. If that doesn't fix the problem, it would be helpful if you could send us the .mdmp files.

Thanks for your patience everyone, we're currently working to fix the most serious bugs, and this is one of them.
Thanks for the post,

I tried deleting everything under puzzlemaker but that doesn't seem to fix the problem.

I'll PM you the most recent .mdmp file that I got.

Thanks, Zillerz
Old 05-14-2012, 07:04 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6
YMalaika

Valve
Okay, thanks for trying that. You can also mail your .p2c and .mdmp files directly to us here:

puzzle_error@valvesoftware.com

Generally, it's best to check in with the forums first, exactly as you did, Zillerz. But if that doesn't help, we've set up that address so we can look at your issues more closely. Just be sure to paste in a description of the problem and repro steps with the files so we can keep your info together.
YMalaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Zillerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMalaika View Post
Okay, thanks for trying that. You can also mail your .p2c and .mdmp files directly to us here:

puzzle_error@valvesoftware.com

Generally, it's best to check in with the forums first, exactly as you did, Zillerz. But if that doesn't help, we've set up that address so we can look at your issues more closely. Just be sure to paste in a description of the problem and repro steps with the files so we can keep your info together.
I have emailed all of the required files.
Thank you and good luck on fixing the issue!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2