Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 05-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #151
DocHouse

Link your Steam account -> get followed to servers in games by people mad about what you said in SPUF.
DocHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #152
Wulframn

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHouse View Post
Link your Steam account -> get followed to servers in games by people mad about what you said in SPUF.
I suppose this is what I am having the most trouble with. I keep hearing about how a user will upset another user, mod, or admin with something they said.

What are you saying that upsets these people this badly? Are you singing the praises of Zombie Hitler or something?*

This leads to another point that is linked, by it's very nature, to account security - responsibility for your actions and their inevitable consequences.

To use a humorous anecdote: as a martial arts instructor I would sometimes hear an outlandish scenario from new students; such as "What if I am in a warehouse and some huge dude has me in an armbar and his buddy has me in a headlock with a knife to the throat and they have a whole bunch of dudes with chains and pieces of rebar all around me getting ready to beat me up - how do I get out of that?" To which would come the usual reply: "1) Ask yourself how you got into that situation, 2) Prepare yourself for the brutual beating you probably deserve."

I am shocked and amazed by the number of people who sincerely seem to believe that their actions do not carry consequences. If you post inflammatory remarks regularly you are going to suffer an occassional reprimand or have some disturbed forumite pester you. It is that simple.

*Please note that Wulframn does not support Zombie Hitler nor condone his actions.
Wulframn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #153
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulframn View Post
What are you saying that upsets these people this badly? Are you singing the praises of Zombie Hitler or something?*

This leads to another point that is linked, by it's very nature, to account security - responsibility for your actions and their inevitable consequences.
You raise a pretty good point. If people are mad enough at you as to devote parto of his time to specifically grief you. You better think about what led you into that situation, instead of thinking how to protect against it.

We are all free to speak up as adults, but that also means we are adults to be held responsible for what we say.
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #154
DocHouse

Quote:
I suppose this is what I am having the most trouble with. I keep hearing about how a user will upset another user, mod, or admin with something they said.

To use a humorous anecdote: as a martial arts instructor I would sometimes hear an outlandish scenario from new students; such as "What if I am in a warehouse and some huge dude has me in an armbar and his buddy has me in a headlock with a knife to the throat and they have a whole bunch of dudes with chains and pieces of rebar all around me getting ready to beat me up - how do I get out of that?" To which would come the usual reply: "1) Ask yourself how you got into that situation, 2) Prepare yourself for the brutual beating you probably deserve."

I am shocked and amazed by the number of people who sincerely seem to believe that their actions do not carry consequences. If you post inflammatory remarks regularly you are going to suffer an occassional reprimand or have some disturbed forumite pester you. It is that simple.

*Please note that Wulframn does not support Zombie Hitler nor condone his actions.
Ok, I'll simplify:
Say you're a woman in SPUF with your account linked -> get thousands of friend request within seconds.

There are many reasons not to PERMANENTLY link your account.
DocHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #155
Wulframn

Talking

Quote:
Ok, I'll simplify:
Say you're a woman in SPUF with your account linked -> get thousands of friend request within seconds.

That is fundamentally different than the concept you earlier expressed.

Furthermore, we are not attempting to convince anyone to link their account. That decision is left solely up to you for a reason.

I honestly do not understand the purpose of this thread rather than to simply complain about more perceived corporate abuse. Valve/Steam is not linking your account for you or requiring an account linkage as mandatory. They leave the decision up to you. If they were linking your account or otherwise compromising your account in a more serious manner I would see the validity of such a thread.

Actually, the way I see it, Steam is intentionally leaving your accounts unlinked and presenting you with the facts in order to make your own decision. That isn't corporate misuse of power; believe it or not, that is actually mature and responsible practice on their part and should make any sane, responsible customer like them even more.

All I, and some others, am advocating is: 1) Responsibility for your own actions and their inevitable consequences, 2) Proper account security, 3) Not condoning Zombie Hitler. (Ok, this last one is on my own personal agenda) We are not attempting to convert anyone to linking their own accounts.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #156
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Ok, I'll simplify:

Everyboy knows there are no girls on the internet
But about not wanting to link your account, we have to set up the reasons to do so.
Mainly there are 2 kind of concerns:
1. Security concerns.
2. Privacy concerns.
Your example is closer to 2. Which are the concerns more debatable, and more easily avoidable, in some aspects.
Because, at the end, in the internet nobody knows you're a dog.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #157
Wulframn

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito Shivan View Post
Everyboy knows there are no girls on the internet
But about not wanting to link your account, we have to set up the reasons to do so.
Mainly there are 2 kind of concerns:
1. Security concerns.
2. Privacy concerns.
Your example is closer to 2. Which are the concerns more debatable, and more easily avoidable, in some aspects.
Because, at the end, in the internet nobody knows you're a dog.
I thought everyone knew the rules of the intarwebz? All guys are guys, all girls are guys, and all little kids are cops. TEH LAWZ OF THE INTARWEBZ HAZ SPOKKEN!

Seriously though, I thought girls were able to private their account as well, but apparently their profiles are unable to do that. The obvious thing for them to do is just to keep their accounts unlinked. No trading for them.

Last edited by Wulframn: 05-16-2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: I am "tradining" my bad spellings for good spellings! =D
Old 05-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #158
GDL

If it wasn't permanent I'd link one of mine, but since Valve really doesn't like giving the user the option(s) to change their mind. I'll pass.

Quote:
we are not attempting to convince anyone to link their account.
Quote:
Seriously though, I thought girls were able to private their account as well, but apparently their profiles are unable to do that. The obvious thing for them to do is just to keep their accounts unlinked. No trading for them.
You know, if it wasn't for the , I'd have believed your first statement.

Last edited by GDL: 05-16-2012 at 02:10 PM.
GDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #159
Tito Shivan

Quote:
I thought everyone knew the rules of the intarwebz? All guys are guys, all girls are guys, and all little kids are cops. TEH LAWZ OF THE INTARWEBZ HAZ SPOKKEN!

Seriously though, I thought girls were able to private their account as well, but apparently their profiles are unable to do that. The obvious thing for them to do is just to keep their accounts unlinked. No tradining for them.
Or we could all grown the [insert pinky hearts] up and treat girls just like everyone else instead of drooling like a platoon of hormone-high forever alone teenagers.

But we are going waaaay off topic right now. Better get back to business.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #160
Wulframn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDL View Post
If it wasn't permanent I'd link one of mine, but since Valve really doesn't like giving the user the option(s) to change their mind. I'll pass.

You know, if it wasn't for the , I'd have believed your first statement.
But the is what makes it so believable in the first place! Afterall, they're both in the same post and they're obviously congruent!
Old 05-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #161
GDL

Quote:
But the is what makes it so believable in the first place!
Of course it does.
GDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #162
Mogh

Quote:
Yeah, except this is SPUF, where there's trolls and childish people all around, so it's rather easy to make an "inflammatory" remark.
I still think I shouldn't be forced to choose between presenting these people with a way to find me on Steam and losing the ability to use the trading forums. Linking ID should be completely optional with no penalty for not doing it.
Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #163
the1whoknowsall

Quote:
I honestly do not understand the purpose of this thread rather than to simply complain about more perceived corporate abuse. Valve/Steam is not linking your account for you or requiring an account linkage as mandatory. They leave the decision up to you. If they were linking your account or otherwise compromising your account in a more serious manner I would see the validity of such a thread.
I agree with most of your points except that it is! If you want to trade that is. But still mandatory in one case. Just kinda sucks not to have the choice.
the1whoknowsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #164
Tito Shivan

The only way of making this issue go away would be to toss aside the Trading subforums and integrate some sort of market tool within the steam client.

Using the forums for trading was a nice patch at the beggining, but right now is more like a bloated monster.
As in the forums anyo could be anyone, sooner or later a feature to link to a proper steam profile.

So the best way to go would be to integrate all the marketplace to a place where you are already identified. What better place than the Steam client itself?
Old 05-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #165
bluz74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito Shivan View Post
The only way of making this issue go away would be to toss aside the Trading subforums and integrate some sort of market tool within the steam client.
I'd rather see Gabe make a trade:

[H]Steam trading forums, [W]BF3, Crysis 2 and other game back on Steam.
bluz74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion