Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 05-17-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
alexryden

In Preparation for the Summer Sale...

I am trying to decide which games on my wish list I want to buy. I am not sure, however, which ones will be on sale. I am also having a hard time narrowing my choice to a few games, so help would be appreciated. Here is my list:

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Endless Space
3. Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
4. Deus Ex GOTY
5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
6. Fallout 3: GOTY (I have already played this, but I want a pc version to mod.)
7. Bioshock
8. Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition
9. Mirror's Edge
10. Majesty 2 Collection
11. Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai
12. Empire Complete Pack
13. Tropico 4
14. Aquaria
15. Fallout: New Vegas (same as with Fallout 3)
16. Morrowind
17. Beyond Good and Evil
18. Fable

The order is pretty lose, so do not take the order as my order of preference.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
brabee

In Preparation for the Summer Sale... learn to use the search function of the forums.
brabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
cslayer211

1. Fallout: New Vegas

2. Fallout 3

3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

4. Morrowind

5. Mass Effect 2

That's what I would look out for, and more than likely they will all be on sale.
cslayer211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
TeKraken

Buy whatever gets to 75% off, or is the daily deal during the event.
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
alexryden

Quote:
In Preparation for the Summer Sale... learn to use the search function of the forums.
I know how to search the forum. I know how summer sales work and all that fun stuff. I just wanted to start a discussion on the merits of these games. I apologize if this is in the wrong place or something like that, but your reply was simply unhelpful.

Thank you cslayer, those are some of the games I want pretty badly.
alexryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
stinkytaco

Banned
You need mount and blade warband on your list... You know you want it!!

+1 for the fallout series. If you get teh GOTYSE edition, it is much more of a game than the xbox version, you get lots of new missions from the DLC.

New vegas is OK, but FO3 is my favorite right now.

Here is my idea of priceing:

1. Mass Effect 2 - buy a use one at game stop so EA does not see a cent.
2. Endless Space - $3
3. Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion - $3-5
4. Deus Ex GOTY $1-2 (I payed full for this, it is one of my all time favorites)
5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution not over $1
6. Fallout 3: GOTY (I have already played this, but I want a pc version to mod.)
7. Bioshock - $1-2
8. Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition $5
9. Mirror's Edge $5
10. Majesty 2 Collection $6
11. Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai $1, Does not work on AMD bulldozer sysems very well.
12. Empire Complete Pack Buy used so Lucas does not get funding for making Jar Jar Binks.
13. Tropico 4 - $5-9
14. Aquaria $1-5
15. Fallout: New Vegas (same as with Fallout 3) $5-10
16. Morrowind - $5
17. Beyond Good and Evil- better if you get the console. PC verions Ignores the widescreen, and squishes the image till veryone looks like hobbits.
18. Fable- NO!...Just no.
stinkytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:06 AM   #7
stinkytaco

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexryden View Post
I know how to search the forum. I know how summer sales work and all that fun stuff. I just wanted to start a discussion on the merits of these games. I apologize if this is in the wrong place or something like that, but your reply was simply unhelpful.

Thank you cslayer, those are some of the games I want pretty badly.
PSA-
Please don't apologize to spelling or search trolls, it only encourages them to victimize others.

They are not here for an intelligent conversation anyways.
stinkytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:09 AM   #8
kirknetic

Good choice of games, many of which have already been on sale so get them when the hit $5 (for the 'big' games) during the Summer Sale, or as a user pointed above, 75% off.
kirknetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #9
Europhoria

Quote:
I am trying to decide which games on my wish list I want to buy. I am not sure, however, which ones will be on sale. I am also having a hard time narrowing my choice to a few games, so help would be appreciated. Here is my list:

1. Mass Effect 2 Not a bad game but nothing really like the first one. Probably on sale for $5 during the sale.
2. Endless Space
3. Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
4. Deus Ex GOTY Apparently a very good game although I've not played much of it. Good if you can look past the extremely dated graphics.
5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution Excellent game with a good story but it falls apart in the latter quarter of the game. :/
7. Bioshock
8. Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition
9. Mirror's Edge A good little game that is only five hours long but fun none the less. Probably $5 during the sale.
10. Majesty 2 Collection
11. Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai
12. Empire Complete Pack Empire Total War? I loved this game and have hundreds of hours in both online and offline play. Definitely pick this up if you get the chance. Hopefully you get Empire and Napoleon Total War GOTY pack or even better (if you don't already own any Total War games on Steam), the Total War Pack for 50% off.
13. Tropico 4 Had a lot of fun with this game over the recent free weekend. I found that it was T3 with a much better UI. Definitely picking this up if it goes for 75% off.
14. Aquaria
15. Fallout: New Vegas (same as with Fallout 3)
16. Morrowind
17. Beyond Good and Evil Fun but the console camera can be quite annoying if you aren't using a controller.
18. Fable

The order is pretty lose, so do not take the order as my order of preference.
I've listed the ones I recommend in red. Your list is quite a solid one with a diverse range of good games.
Europhoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:34 AM   #10
Original182

Quote:
Must buys
Mass Effect 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Fallout 3: GOTY
Fallout: New Vegas

Don't buy
Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition
I could be biased against strategy games, but this is an old game that is merely Civilization in space.

Morrowind
Another old game which was groundbreaking at its time, but Skyrim has refined the features in the game.

No Comment
Endless Space
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
Bioshock
Mirror's Edge
Majesty 2 Collection
Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai
Empire Complete Pack
Tropico 4
Aquaria
Beyond Good and Evil
Fable

Last edited by Original182: 05-17-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Original182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:38 AM   #11
PieKitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original182 View Post
Must buys
Mass Effect 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Fallout 3: GOTY
Fallout: New Vegas

Don't buy
Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition
I could be biased against strategy games, but this is an old game that is merely Civilization in space.

Morrowind
Another old game which was groundbreaking at its time, but Skyrim has refined the features in the game.

No Comment
Endless Space
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
Bioshock
Mirror's Edge
Majesty 2 Collection
Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai
Empire Complete Pack
Tropico 4
Aquaria
Beyond Good and Evil
Fable
I have to disagre, Its a great game for those who like turnbased games. On top of that I had it during a sale, and am pretty hooked to that. Sure, it sometimes takes long to get advanced etc, and thats the only drawback imho.

Also, It semes your not just biased towards strategy, but old games in general
PieKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:44 AM   #12
Original182

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieKitten View Post
I have to disagre, Its a great game for those who like turnbased games. On top of that I had it during a sale, and am pretty hooked to that. Sure, it sometimes takes long to get advanced etc, and thats the only drawback imho.

Also, It semes your not just biased towards strategy, but old games in general
I actually like Europe Universalis 3, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and would recommend Planescape: Torment strongly if it was on steam.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:45 AM   #13
brabee

Quote:
Then you should browse the respective games forums, read reviews, watch gameplay videos.

I simply think its rather unhelpful to discuss summer seal which is months away and we know nothing about it.
brabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:49 AM   #14
Original182

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabee View Post
Then you should browse the respective games forums, read reviews, watch gameplay videos.

I simply think its rather unhelpful to discuss summer seal which is months away and we know nothing about it.
I think your participation in this thread is unhelpful.

If you have no interest in helping him, just leave. No one is forcing you to read or respond to the thread.

Judging by my post and others, there are some people who are more than happy to try and help him.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:02 AM   #15
Corpekata

Thing to keep in mind with Mass Effect 2 is, it'll probably be on sale but you're going to spend a ton of extra dough on DLC that rarely ever goes on sale, so keep that in mind.

Anyways, I'd wager a pretty good chunk of your games are probably going to be on sale pretty cheap in Summer. A lot of them have been in previous winter or summer sales. Maybe not the Stardock stuff, and Endless Space may be too new since it's technically not released yet. Same with Sins.

Personally, when a big event sale hits I tend to prioritize games that don't go on sale that often. So THQ, Square Enix, Sega games tend to take a backseat. With that in mind, this would be my priority list
1. Endless Spacee
2. Sins
3. Galciv
4. Beyond Good and Evil (would be higher but the PC version is ty for a lot of people)
5. Morrowind (goes on sale sometimes but very rarely below 50 percent)
6. Majesty
7. Mirror's Edge
8. Fable

The other stuff tends to go on sale a lot, or is Steamworks so if you buy it elsewhere, it registers on Steam. For instance, Amazon has the Steam version of Bioshock for 5 dollars right this moment.

Last edited by Corpekata: 05-17-2012 at 03:10 AM.
Corpekata is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion