Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Level Design

Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
soopytwist

Can't compile - "can't open elevator_entrance.vmf"?!

I can't compile a map, it immediately stops half a second after clicking on Run Map. In the log file it says:

materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\portal2\materials
Loading f:\game stuff\games creation\portal 2\hammer revised pti maps\warp_engine_v3.vmf
ConVarRef gpu_level doesn't point to an existing ConVar
Could not open instance file instances/p2editor/elevator_entrance.vmf

Ignoring most of the message (ignore the bit about ConVar, it's fine) the key part is the last line about elevator_entrance.vmf.

What's going on?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
Karlos_Modder

I take it this is the vmf from preview.vmf that portal 2 creates?
If it is then you will need to override that preview.vmf (keeping the filemane intact) with the edited verion you have created. This is because there are entities in your map called func_instances that open vmf prefab files. "instances/p2editor"
Karlos_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
soopytwist

Oh man I think I just f'kd this right up. I saved a map in PeTI but when it came to loading it into Hammer I couldn't find it. The only file with todays date was called preview.vmf. I didnt' know what this was so I loaded this and it was the map I'd made in PeTI so I saved it as warp_engine_v3.vmf then set about making my changes.

This is the map that doesn't compile. I exited Hammer, went back in but when I reload my warp_engine_v3 there's nothing in it! Just the bacis shape of the level with nothing in it!

If I load preview.vmf it's the old one from PeTI before all my changes.

So did I just spend five hours for nothing?
soopytwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Karlos_Modder

Thats because what you see in portal is not the vmf but a file called p2c.
When you hit the "rebuild" button in Portal 2. The game will then convert the p2c file into a preview.vmf then it will use the compile tools in hammer to build the map.
What you need to do is rename your "warp_engine_v3.vmf" to preview.vmf and override the existing preview.vmf.
Then go to "\Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\bin" and double-click on p2map_publish.exe
This will convert the preview.vmf (and only that file) into a bsp that will publish it to the workshop..
However you can till compile the map in hammer to test it out.. But it still needs to be in the same loction as the preview.vmf.
Karlos_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
soopytwist

Okay, thanks. I'd made a bit of a mess of the files in the Portal 2 directories, I'd got files all over the place and lost track of what was supposed to go where so I'm having to reinstall Portal 2 right now.

I copied all the VMF's and BSP's, including the preview.BSP that is warp_engine_v3 so I should still be able to Hammer this more if I need to and then run the P2map_publish afterwards, once I've got the SDK back on as well.

I didn't backup the P2c files though so I've lost some minor work-in-progress maps but I'm not too bothered about that.
soopytwist is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Level Design