Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life

Old 04-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
theking268

Do you guys think I should buy the WON version of Half-Life?

Referring to the original disc version from 1998. I've looked around on eBay and found a few good ones that seem to be worth the price, complete with the big box and everything. I already own Half-Life, Opposing Force and Blue Shift on Steam, but come on. Nostalgia purposes.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Sinnah

Honestly? Nah... I wouldn't bother. Not if you already own the collection on Steam anyway. The original retail games are a bit buggier and don't look or run as well on modern hardware as the Steam versions do. So unless you're an extreme "nostalgia-phile" desperate for the classic feel, then I'd personally pass it up.
Sinnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
Creeper Reaper

I would definitely buy it, I remember my dad always played it, this was retail, and before we even heard of Steam. It is so awesome, So many features, it's well worth the price for it.
Creeper Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
MADDOGGE

I have the original Won versions and the Steam versions but the Wons can be challenging to get it running on modern systems. No bugs I know of if it's properly patched. I actually prefer the look of the UI better in the Won version than the Steam version. The Steam version installs and run fine with no issues like the Won can have. If it's cheap enough and IF no one has activated the key on Steam already, you can buy the Won version then input the cd-key and get the Steam version as well. Then you could install the Won version in the Sierra retail location and have the Steam version installed as well in your Steam library.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
theking268

What problems could the WON version have when running it on Windows 7?
theking268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
pizzahut

I think it has a problem if a lot RAM is installed, running it in compatibility mode for Windows 98 should solve this.

Another one is the copy protection that determines whether the original CD is in the drive or not. The protection is removed when patched, since even back then a lot of people had issues with it.

It was MADDOGGE who pointed this out in the other thread, if you have all CDs you can install the games in order as they were published (1. HL, 2. OF, 3. BS), this will patch all games to the same level. Not quite sure if BS contains the most recent patch though, which is v1.1.1.0. You can still download it at some gaming related file archives. (There's a d/l link in the mentioned thread.)

Personally I don't think it's worth it if you have the games on Steam already. There's another thread that contains some bug fixes for the Steam version, e.g. the OF and BS sound tracks which apparently have been replaced by Valve with the HL sound track? (The original CDs used mix mode, the game(s) were contained in the 1st track of the CD, the rest of the CD contained audio tracks that were only played if the CD was in the drive - no MP3s back then.)

Last edited by pizzahut: 04-13-2012 at 03:37 PM.
pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
theking268

Uh-huh. I will probably buy it in that case, since I found it for an even lower price at Amazon.co.uk.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
Quartemetal

I would get it for the huge instruction manuals and the fact that I would certainly still be able to play it without attempting offline mode or being constantly hooked to the internet. When putting it on Windows 7 I had to set the game to run in Windows 2000 compatibility mode, but there are no real hoops to jump through when it comes to that. Just right-click on the shortcut and head for the Compatibility tab.
Oh, and you can rip the music tracks off the discs (with titles!) in iTunes in the same way as any other CD.
Hope your game arrives (has arrived?) soon!
Quartemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
MartinKhan

Banned
I would get them if I could. I have a copy of the WON version of HL, OF, BS, CS, TFC and DMC on my old PC, but I lost the discs. I would gladly buy them again if I had the chance. I really loved the menus.
MartinKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
Trancetasy

i remember the back cover of the HL1 box has WorldCraft (now called Hammer) that got me interested in the game
Trancetasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
IntelliQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartemetal View Post
I would get it for the huge instruction manuals and the fact that I would certainly still be able to play it without attempting offline mode or being constantly hooked to the internet. When putting it on Windows 7 I had to set the game to run in Windows 2000 compatibility mode, but there are no real hoops to jump through when it comes to that. Just right-click on the shortcut and head for the Compatibility tab.
Oh, and you can rip the music tracks off the discs (with titles!) in iTunes in the same way as any other CD.
Hope your game arrives (has arrived?) soon!
^^ This.

Plus with the original, if you have demos recorded that no longer play because of the steam updates that stop old demos from playing, then the orginal is for you.
IntelliQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:56 AM   #12
theking268

Interesting... Also, I've heard that the authentication thingy doesn't work with newer disc drives, is there a way around that? Preferably without installing the patches, because I want the exact feeling from 1998.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
Vonje

Unpatched Half-Life is superior. Ironically, the game feels more glitchy on 1.1.1.0.
Opposing Force may include 1.0.1.5, which is just under 1.0.1.6 (the last version before the infamous mod-breaking 1.1 update).
Vonje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
LiquidWordz

i still have the WON versions of all the games xD collecting dust in my home town
What i liked most was when Blue shift was released and it came with an HD pack for HL:1 but sadly not Opposing force :|

For nostalgia....yeah i would. If its not too much $$$
LiquidWordz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life