Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dungeon Defenders

Old 05-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Pimmalage

FPS and Sound Issues

Okay so i got a copy of dungeon defenders from IGN prime recently, and i've been playing the game a lot, love it.

But as i've progressed is seems my FPS is getting worse and problems seem to be occuring.
I've looked at a few threads for fixing these issues and i've found nothing.
My problems:
-My mouse is not precise what-so-ever (Even editing the configs to turn mouse smoothing off).
-I get around 19 FPS "MAX" and the menu screens are literally on 1 fps (show through fraps fps counter).
-The sound is skipping most of the time resulting in me just muting it.

I really want to play this game and for those who say "You didn't pay for the game why do you care?", I pay for IGN prime, and i have bought a few pieces of DLC already (Probably equivilent to the price of the game).

All i want is to just play this game with a decent 30-40 fps and i know it's possible from first playing it had it around this FPS.

My Specs (I know there low but it's above the minimum required)

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
Intel Core2duo 2.10 GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM
intel 965 express chipset family

Any other specs needed i shall provide them, please just make any suggestions as to what i can try.

Thanks
-Pimmalage

EDIT: Tried a couple of things i've seen around the web, Running "DunDefGame.exe" in compatibility with "Windows vista sp2".
And editing the config files to turn off Mouse smoothing, has cleared up a little (Around 5-7 fps difference) lag.
Other than that no final solution.

I've also looked up my graphics card and it is past the minimum specs, Quote here from wikipedia about my card specs.

Quote:
GMA X3100
The GMA X3100 is the mobile version of the GMA X3000 used in the Intel GL960/GM965 chipsets and also in the GS965 chipset. The X3100 supports hardware transform and lighting, up to 128 programmable shader units, and up to 384 MB memory. Its display cores can run up to 333 MHz on GM965 and 320 MHz on GL960. Its render cores can run up to 500 MHz on GM965 and 400 MHz on GL960. The X3100 display unit includes a 300 MHz RAMDAC, two 25–112 MHz LVDS transmitters, 2 DVO encoders, and a TV encoder. In addition, the hardware supports DirectX 10.0,[3] Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 1.5.[12]

Last edited by Pimmalage: 05-18-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Added troubleshooting progress.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Alshain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimmalage View Post
intel 965 express chipset family
This answers your question.

Intel 965 is just not adequate for this game or really anything using the UE3 engine. I have a laptop with Intel HD 2000 and even that couldn't hack it.

Quote:
and for those who say "You didn't pay for the game why do you care?"
I can't imagine anyone saying this. How you obtained it is irrelevant.

Quote:
i know it's possible from first playing it had it around this FPS.
The problem with this assumption is that when you first started playing it, you were playing on small levels (The Deeper Well) at low difficulty (Easy, Medium). The higher you get, the bigger the level and the more critters there are that appear on the screen simultaneously (critters, towers and their weapon animations, other players, etc). This is a heavier load than what you started with, your graphics card has much more to render. It's more likely you always had this problem, you just didn't know it yet.

Last edited by Alshain: 05-18-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
Pimmalage

Nope, i've recently just got the new heroes DLC, and I've wanted to level the knew knight (Can't remember the name).
So I started off from the first levels and just grinded them from easy-hard difficulties.
It was a pain i had like 5-10 fps throughout.

considering the DLC, i know it's a complete long-shot but i've only just gotten them doubt it's causing any fps issues.

It's not a reliable source but "CanYouRunIt" says my specs are fine for playing this.
Pimmalage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Alshain

No, the DLC wouldn't have changed that. The way this game works, everyone has the DLC installed, buying it just unlocks it so you can use it. If you didn't have the DLC installed you couldn't display other peoples characters when they joined your game.

Well, if it was working and now it's not then something changed. The DLC wouldn't do that, any (surprisingly) there haven't been any patches since the IGN deal started. So unless you changed the configuration, it has to be external to the game.
Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
Pimmalage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alshain View Post
No, the DLC wouldn't have changed that. The way this game works, everyone has the DLC installed, buying it just unlocks it so you can use it. If you didn't have the DLC installed you couldn't display other peoples characters when they joined your game.

Well, if it was working and now it's not then something changed. The DLC wouldn't do that, any (surprisingly) there haven't been any patches since the IGN deal started. So unless you changed the configuration, it has to be external to the game.
Yeah i've begun to think it's my system rather than the game, i've been having it run idle in the tavern (While in windowed mode) and i'm watching the taskmanager and it's running at nearly 100% usage, I'm not really an expert on this, but if mulicore rendering option is off in the options, it should only run at 50% right?
Old 05-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
eker676

Multi core rendering could refer to dual, tri, or quad graphics cards setups.

I would have chose the term 'multi core processing' if I was adding an option to select the number of cpu cores I wanted the program to run at.

The only problem here is your awful integrated graphics chip. I made the mistake of buying my first laptop without a dedicated card. I made my second mistake of buying a laptop with a dedicated card.

If you game at all, build your own desktop. It's much cheaper in the long run. I'm fortunate enough to have purchased a laptop with a fairly decent dedicated card but, looking back I should have gone with a desktop.
eker676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
Pimmalage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eker676 View Post
Multi core rendering could refer to dual, tri, or quad graphics cards setups.

I would have chose the term 'multi core processing' if I was adding an option to select the number of cpu cores I wanted the program to run at.

The only problem here is your awful integrated graphics chip. I made the mistake of buying my first laptop without a dedicated card. I made my second mistake of buying a laptop with a dedicated card.

If you game at all, build your own desktop. It's much cheaper in the long run. I'm fortunate enough to have purchased a laptop with a fairly decent dedicated card but, looking back I should have gone with a desktop.
I know the card is bad, but the point i'm trying to get at is, when i first got the game i played it around 3-4 hours without ANY problems, running at a smooth fps.
But my problem now is that i can't play with and fps above 20 and it's irritating.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dungeon Defenders