Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 05-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Joshyjess

graphics problem with valve games

A while ago, while playing l4d, I started having some problems with the graphics in the game. Most of the characters, and some of the scenery had little triangle shaped spots of missing graphics. I thought it was just in that game, so I uninstalled it, and instead installed l4d2. Sure enough, the same triangle shaped problems were in that game as well.

Today I tried replaying Half-life 2, and I found the same issue. I've played Half Life 2 before, and this problem wasn't here. Same thing with l4d, originally this problem didn't exist. I don't know what happened to cause it, but it does only seem to affect my valve games.

I'm thinking that perhaps it's a problem with my source engine, but I'm really not sure.

Here is a screenshot I took of Half life 2(you can see it on the gaurd in front of me:

Anybody have any idea what could be causing this, or how to get rid of it. The game plays fine, but obviously it's no fun plyaing with holes in everyone.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
crunchyfrog555

Banned
If I had to hazard a guess (as we don't know any of your system specs), I'jd bet you have an Intel graphics chipset.

That's a common problem that happens when you use that chipset.

If that is the case, then please be aware that chipset is NOT SUPPORTED. Be thankful you were able to play it at all.

However, if you try updating your graphics drivers and maybe Googling for a fix, you might be OK.

But other than that, please let us know your specs, so we can advise more accordingly.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Joshyjess

I'm running an ACPIx64 based PC
with an AMD Phenom IIx4 810 Processor
my graphics card is an integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200
I'm using Windows 7 64 bit home

What else would be helpful?

I know my card really stinks, and I do have a newer ATI Radeon HD 5570 that I plan on having installed pretty soon (along with a larger power source).

It just seems strange that up to this point I've been able to run all of the Valve games without even the smallest problem (Portal 1 and 2, all of the Half life games, L4d 1, TF2 (just for a few minutes, but it did look fine). It's just recently that I've started having this problem. I don't know if I downloaded something or what, it just is weird.

Like I said, I do plan on updating my card soon, and hopefully that will take care of any problem, but I'm not sure when, and I would like to be able to keep playing these games until I do make the change.
Joshyjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Ah, in that case, forget my comments about the Intel chipset. It was only a guess after all. My apologies.

It should run the games OK(ish). You shouldn't be getting problems like that, in any case.

So, I have to ask:
When did you last update the graphics drivers?
When did you last clean your PC out?
Old 05-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Joshyjess

The graphic card normally updates automatically every month or so. I'm thinking that it was about a month ago that it last updated. It seems to me (can't be 100% possitive though), that after the last time I recall seeing the card update that I was still able to play some Valve games without a problem (HL2 Opposing Force, Blue Shift), but I wouldn't swear on it.
It's been a few months since I last cleaned out my PC, so that might not be a bad idea.
It does seem strange though, that it is only with Valve games that I've noticed any kind of problem. Again, I'm just wondering if something happened to my source engine.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
crunchyfrog555

Banned
It could just be that the Source engine games are making the problem more apparent.

I'd consider downloading an app that monitors your temperatures. If your graphics card is running high, then there's something amiss.

Furthermore, I'd manually update (or try) your graphics drivers anyway.

Try them, and see where it leads us next.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
Joshyjess

I just went ahead and tried a couple of other valve games - Half Life 1 and Portal, and neither of those 2 games seem to have any problems.
So far it just seems to be having trouble with HL 2, L4d and L4d 2.

I'll try to update the card, and see what happens.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
Joshyjess

Ran an update, but it said that the card was already using the latest update.

I'll go ahead and try cleaning out my PC (that's always a good thing to do anyway), and see what happens.
Besides that, I'll probably not worry too much about this, and just wait and see what happens when I install the new card. Hopefully that will help take care of any problem.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
Joshyjess

Well, now it's happening with other games as well. I started playing Max Payne 1, and it was happening there as well.

I did clean out my PC (man was it dirty), but even after that it was still happening.
Hopefully next week I'll get my new card put it, and perhaps that will take care of the problem.

Is there a reason why my games are starting to do this? Is it the card, or is there something else I should check as well?
Old 05-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
DalisD

i have a problem that pretty much looks like yours, i have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450, the problems is because of the drivers, try to downgrade and youll be able to get those graphics working, in my case that helps some games but screws other ones so... :/ try downgrading
DalisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
crunchyfrog555

Banned
You could indeed try downgrading. I've had some strange problems creep into ATI updates, so it's not unknown.

It MIGHT be entirely possible, as you've professed to PC was so dirty, you may have overheated the card and it's now started to develop these problems.

You could try something pretty intensive such as a driving game, and see what the results are like, although that might not be too healthy if the card is already failing.

It might be better to get that new card soon.

Anyway, try a rollback of your drivers first.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
Joshyjess

Thank you guys very much!

Sure enough, I rolled back the driver to the previous install, and now everything is working just fine.
I still plan on changing my card next week, but at least until then, I can enjoy my games the way they were supposed to look.

I wish I had more rep to give, but what I do have is yours!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshyjess View Post
Thank you guys very much!

Sure enough, I rolled back the driver to the previous install, and now everything is working just fine.
I still plan on changing my card next week, but at least until then, I can enjoy my games the way they were supposed to look.

I wish I had more rep to give, but what I do have is yours!
That is excellent news!!

So pleased that it's something as simple as that, rather than involving outlay.

In regard rep, don't worry about it. I don't deserve any, as it wasn't my idea.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips