Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Delta Force series

Old 12-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
mrjames5768

Does anybody play black hawk down?

I want to buy black hawk down because i had a lot of fun on it on the ps2 but the community is dead there so i thought it might be alive on the pc.

does anybody know how active it is?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Backslider.r2

Lil' late, but my gf still plays it every month or two. She says it has about...50 people online on a good day.

The game never had cheat protection, so you can imagine how bad the hacks are. And the mods/admins are actual players who have quit playing entirely; right before BHD went to there was a scandal involving mods abusing their power, and Nova did nothing.

Since the company has produced nothing but flops since BHD, and since they'd produced nothing ENTIRELY in the past few years, they're trying to resell their old material on Steam to stay afloat. They are supposed to be working on another crapfest called Angel Falls, but it gets pushed back every year.

I'd say do the company a favor and don't give it your money. Maybe it'll die and find an end for its suffering.

Last edited by Backslider.r2: 01-04-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Backslider.r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
badson

I used to love the out of this game back in the day...mostly for the multi player...maybe I'll buy it out of nostalgia someday soon....
badson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
HomerPepsi

BHD was awesome, and I would hardly call Joint Ops a flop. Anyone remember the days where all the stat servers were full and the 150 server was above 100 everyday. That was two years after release as well (of course those were the days when we didn't have yearly installments of games). Good times.
HomerPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
Backslider.r2

BHD was awesome I agree, but Nova turned its back on what made them a success - amazing infantry shooters - and tried to take a slice out of the mixed vehicle combat BF2 pie with Joint Flops; they even advertised it as the "BF2 killer" lol.

It was an amusing distraction for most people, and almost everyone bought into the hype at first, but most of the BHD crowd moved back to BHD or on to BF/COD within a year; it didn't help that the recycled JO engine allowed hackers to have cheat videos online literally while the beta was still underway - and again, no cheat protection at all, unless you count anti-piracy CD key validation.

Since then it's been desperate money grabs in the form of rehashed and reused budget titles like DF: Extreme, and attempts to distribute the same old games to a new market of buyers: Steam, and Steam users.

BHD was an absolute blast in its day, but as nostalgia will be a non-issue with most gamers, it's simply not worth the purchase anymore.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
erwem576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backslider.r2 View Post

BHD was an absolute blast in its day, but as nostalgia will be a non-issue with most gamers, it's simply not worth the purchase anymore.
Aww shucks.

I was going to ask:

If I'm a big fan of Rainbow Six Raven Shield and SWAT 4 can I fire up Black Hawk Down and have a good time with it? I'd be mostly single player.
erwem576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
PieKitten

Quote:
Lil' late, but my gf still plays it every month or two. She says it has about...50 people online on a good day.

The game never had cheat protection, so you can imagine how bad the hacks are. And the mods/admins are actual players who have quit playing entirely; right before BHD went to there was a scandal involving mods abusing their power, and Nova did nothing.

Since the company has produced nothing but flops since BHD, and since they'd produced nothing ENTIRELY in the past few years, they're trying to resell their old material on Steam to stay afloat. They are supposed to be working on another crapfest called Angel Falls, but it gets pushed back every year.

I'd say do the company a favor and don't give it your money. Maybe it'll die and find an end for its suffering.
BHD does have cheat protection, and yes, it is played online. Any DF game is played online as far as I know.

Stop spreading false information, and you say its flops? Xtreme 1-2 are awesome. So is Joint Operations XD

http://www.df-barracks.com/index.php?topic=312.0 Make sure to click public games when viewing lobbys. Even DF1 still has a server going.

Last edited by PieKitten: 07-19-2012 at 08:53 AM.
PieKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:07 AM   #8
Fred DM

Quote:
BHD was awesome I agree, but Nova turned its back on what made them a success - amazing infantry shooters - and tried to take a slice out of the mixed vehicle combat BF2 pie with Joint Flops; they even advertised it as the "BF2 killer" lol.

It was an amusing distraction for most people, and almost everyone bought into the hype at first, but most of the BHD crowd moved back to BHD or on to BF/COD within a year; it didn't help that the recycled JO engine allowed hackers to have cheat videos online literally while the beta was still underway - and again, no cheat protection at all, unless you count anti-piracy CD key validation.

Since then it's been desperate money grabs in the form of rehashed and reused budget titles like DF: Extreme, and attempts to distribute the same old games to a new market of buyers: Steam, and Steam users.

that does not sound right. at all.

Joint Ops was an excellent Battlefield kind of game. the only reason it didn't stay on top of the genre is because of BF2. i admit that i eventually went to BF2 and abandoned JO.

from what i can tell, the two Xtreme games aren't actually bad. technically outdated and in no way innovative, but not bad. they didn't cost full retail price anyway.

and what's wrong with putting up classic games for sale? i buy older titles all the time, either because i missed them back in the day, or because i want to repurchase them as a digital edition.
Fred DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Backslider.r2

Quote:
BHD does have cheat protection, and yes, it is played online. Any DF game is played online as far as I know.
No, it doesn't have cheat protection. Have you even played BHD? What it DID have was USER made, 3rd party programs that people used to cut down on blatant cheating in scrims, tourneys and matches. Those programs were mandatory ONLY in certain matches/scrims, questionable in their effectiveness, unheard of in public games, and not at all the product of Novalogic. Fans had to resort to protecting the game.

Quote:
Joint Ops was an excellent Battlefield kind of game. the only reason it didn't stay on top of the genre is because of BF2. i admit that i eventually went to BF2 and abandoned JO.

from what i can tell, the two Xtreme games aren't actually bad. technically outdated and in no way innovative, but not bad. they didn't cost full retail price anyway.
Quote:
Stop spreading false information, and you say its flops? Xtreme 1-2 are awesome. So is Joint Operations XD
Lulz, that's more of a matter of opinion. Joint Flops also had crap for cheat protection, relying on yet another user-made anti cheat system which resulted in JO hack videos being posted while the game was still in BETA. This was in part because JO lazily reused the engine found in BHD. Did JO blatantly mimic BF2 well enough to be at least moderately fun? I won't deny it was fun...at first. The beta was great, but it went downhill from there, and BF2 ending up eating it alive, because it turned out that BF2 was better at being BF2 than JO was.

And Xtreme 1 and 2 awesome? Please. A score of 65 and a 40 on Metacritic respectively. Even taking into consideration they were crummy "budget shooters", people still found them inadequate. That's not to say some people didn't find it fun (there is no accounting for taste), but widely considered good or even decent? No, not by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote:
http://www.df-barracks.com/index.php?topic=312.0 Make sure to click public games when viewing lobbys. Even DF1 still has a server going.
Okay? DF1 and 2 were great. So was BHD despite the blatant hacking, I'm not disputing that. The world has billions of people; just about every online game ends up with a small community that keeps it alive. That doesn't mean the game is amazing. It means statistical probability exists.
Quote:
and what's wrong with putting up classic games for sale? i buy older titles all the time, either because i missed them back in the day, or because i want to repurchase them as a digital edition.
Buying older games is great; I too have purchased and enjoyed older titles. But if years go by and all a small-time company manages to produce is mediocre, rehashed budget shooters of classics that were actually good 10-15 years ago while peddling said classics to stay afloat, the company is in trouble.

Original point and bottom line: BHD is a "meh" purchase for someone looking for an inexpensive FPS experience. The game is riddled with hacks, and it's showing its age. It was a great game in its day, but unless you're a DF veteran wearing nostalgia goggles, your money can be better spent elsewhere.

Last edited by Backslider.r2: 07-27-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
bud380

Banned
Quote:

lol, Black Hawk Down WAS a total flop. Joint Operations blows everything about that game into the water. The only good thing to come from Black Hawk Down was Team Sabre, which was still mediocre at best compared to Joint Operations.

The only reason anyone thinks Black Hawk Down was any good was because they played it when they were 10 and have nostalgia goggles on. Joint Ops sold more, got higher ratings, and had better graphics, multiplayer, and player customization, not to mention its coop was excellent.

I can't emphasize how horrendous Black Hawk Down was enough.

Last edited by bud380: 08-23-2012 at 08:58 PM.
bud380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:36 AM   #11
Backslider.r2

Team Sabre was better than BHD? How so? Was it the crappy sandstorm maps that no one played? Or the G3 that was made overpowered to sell the expansion?

It's a matter of opinion. And since it got a 77 critic/8.2 user score, I'd say you have some anger goggles on. It wasn't perfect, but if you think it was horrendous, you're probably associating it with something negative that happened in your personal life during that time.

Last edited by Backslider.r2: 09-03-2012 at 03:53 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Delta Force series